Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693

Jay wrote:

Why do people without celiacs eat gluten free? Why do the non lactose intolerant eat no dairy? It's like people wish they had those ailments so they'd have something to complain about.

Health food stores are for hypochondriacs.
You must be in denial about the ill effects that processed foods have on the body. My dad went macrobiotic and lost like 70 pounds in about 6 months.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
jay is hardly one to talk about healthy eating. look at him.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Superior Mind wrote:

Jay wrote:

Why do people without celiacs eat gluten free? Why do the non lactose intolerant eat no dairy? It's like people wish they had those ailments so they'd have something to complain about.

You must be in denial about the ill effects that processed foods have on the body. My dad went macrobiotic and lost like 70 pounds in about 6 months.
I don't eat processed foods, I cook from scratch at home most days.

That has fuck all to do with my rant against hypochondriacs and their dietary habits. Your dad lost weight because he started thinking about what he was eating. It's the same as keeping a budget and suddenly being able to save money.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693
My dad is not a hypochondriac and yet he buys all organic etc. which come from health food stores. I'm missing your point.

Superior Mind wrote:

Jay wrote:

what kinda stuff is he eating?(macrobiotic>??-
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Superior Mind wrote:

My dad is not a hypochondriac and yet he buys all organic etc. which come from health food stores. I'm missing your point.
The point is that all that crap is unnecessary. You've fallen for marketing by hypochondriacs. The same people that are selling you those 'dirty, pesticide ridden' apples are the same people that are turning around and selling you 'clean, organic, pesticide free' apples at twice or triple the price. The FDA does a pretty damn good job keeping harmful crap out of our bodies and 'processed food' is not nearly as bad as people make them out to be. By definition, going to a restaurant and ordering a meal is ordering processed food. Eating food prepared in your kitchen is eating processed food. Unless you're eating raw meat from a carcass or eating tubers pulled straight from the ground and eaten raw, the food is processed. You've fallen for marketing, nothing more.

Should you be eating Chef Boyardee at every meal? No, of course not, but like anything else it isn't bad in moderation.

Last edited by Jay (2011-12-01 11:01:59)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6739|Toronto | Canada

Jay wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Jay wrote:

That has fuck all to do with my rant against hypochondriacs and their dietary habits. Your dad lost weight because he started thinking about what he was eating. It's the same as keeping a budget and suddenly being able to save money.

Superior Mind wrote:

Yeah those two really arent related.  Theres no way that eating an organic apple over a regular apple would cause you to lose weight.

Also, "organic" foods have still never had a conclusive study done to show that they have any health benefits.  Its completely a fad and, in most cases, is actually worse for the environment.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
stop talking about healthy food and start talking about cheese and meat and shit on a pizza you nerds

Last edited by FatherTed (2011-12-01 11:08:27)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Jay wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Yeah those two really arent related.  Theres no way that eating an organic apple over a regular apple would cause you to lose weight.

Also, "organic" foods have still never had a conclusive study done to show that they have any health benefits.  Its completely a fad and, in most cases, is actually worse for the environment.
I wouldn't call it terrible for the environment, but it is pretty terrible for humans. If the world went organic we'd face a never ending series of famines caused by crop failures, just like the human race faced nearly every year prior to industrialization.

Edit - Well, actually it would be bad for the environment if you're one of those people that covets 'open' or 'green' spaces. We'd have to farm a lot more land if we did without pesticides and fungicides or GE crops.

Last edited by Jay (2011-12-01 11:12:44)

-Frederick Bastiat
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

It ends up being bad for the environment due to the increased wear and tear on the soil and severely lower efficient use of space, generating lower yields, forcing more land to be used - therefore creating more pollution from more tractors, machinery, etc.  Among other factors.  Its quite ridiculous.

And thats not even factoring in how GM crops help us in so many ways.  We couldnt feed anywhere near our population without them

Last edited by Winston_Churchill (2011-12-01 11:19:30)

Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693
The benefits of the absence of preservation chemicals, petro-chemicals, refined sugar, dairy, and meat (besides wild fish) in one's diet is not some marketing myth. It actually makes you healthier. I am basing my knowledge off of real life experience, so keep eating what you want. I don't really care.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Winston_Churchill wrote:

It ends up being bad for the environment due to the increased wear and tear on the soil and severely lower efficient use of space, generating lower yields, forcing more land to be used - therefore creating more pollution from more tractors, machinery, etc.  Among other factors.  Its quite ridiculous.
But but, gluten bad. lactose bad. processed food bad. organic good. local good. quinoa good. flax good. wheat bad.

Whole Foods and Fairway have built their entire business catering to middle and upper class morons that think they are intelligent but are paralyzed by body and self esteem issues brought on by their never-ending desire to stay on top of fads in order to remain relevant to their fad chasing friends. Walk into any of those supermarkets and the self loathing is a palpable presence floating in the air.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

I would murder for some zeppoles right now.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Superior Mind wrote:

The benefits of the absence of preservation chemicals, petro-chemicals, refined sugar, dairy, and meat (besides wild fish) in one's diet is not some marketing myth. It actually makes you healthier. I am basing my knowledge off of real life experience, so keep eating what you want. I don't really care.
Placebo.
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto

Winston_Churchill wrote:

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/cora-pizza-toronto

the best
The best in Toronto*

which sadly isn't all that good.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

$5 says John will bitch about hipsters within his next 5 post.

Last edited by Macbeth (2011-12-01 11:23:26)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

I can see the benefits of excluding dairy since its not natural to our diet, same with meat if you're getting sufficient nutrients and protein in other ways.  However, "organic" foods are simply a myth.  Theres simply no conclusive scientific proof to prove it otherwise.
And basically every type of food has natural "preservation chemicals" in them.  Are you planning on eliminating those too?  Natural pesticides in fruits are 99.99% of the "pesticides" you take in when you buy an apple from the grocery store.

Its great if it makes you feel better, but its not sustainable for anything other than a niche placebo market
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693
Dudes how is my dad losing 70 pounds a placebo effect?

Whether or not produce is organic is usually telling of how fresh it is. (I worked for 6 months in a grocery store and was able to examine such realities).

Last edited by Superior Mind (2011-12-01 11:27:28)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Because he likely changed his entire lifestyle and is eating different foods, not differently grown foods.

If he went from eating oreos to organic almonds for snacks he will obviously lose weight.  If he went from eating normal almonds to organic ones he simply wont.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693
He never used to eat Oreos. We used to get most of our food from Costco. His lifestyle is pretty much the same as it was before aside from the food he eats.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Superior Mind wrote:

Dudes how is my dad losing 70 pounds a placebo effect?

Whether or not produce is organic is usually telling of how fresh it is. (I worked for 6 months in a grocery store and was able to examine such realities).
Because he paid attention to what he ate. Anyone can lose weight if they track what they eat and eat foods conducive to losing weight. If you cut out sugar and fat and meat and replace it with veggies and protein supplements you'll lose weight. It's not rocket science.

I started keeping a budget for my daily expenses and magically began saving money. If I did the same for my food intake I bet I could lose a ton of weight too, and it wouldn't require any fad diet to do so.
-Frederick Bastiat
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Pochsy wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/cora-pizza-toronto

the best
The best in Toronto*

which sadly isn't all that good.
ever been here http://www.yelp.ca/biz/massimo-pizza-and-pasta-toronto

its actually a lot better and on my street which is
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Superior Mind wrote:

He never used to eat Oreos. We used to get most of our food from Costco. His lifestyle is pretty much the same as it was before aside from the food he eats.
So he was purchasing his food in bulk, and now doesn't. Do I need to calculate 2 + 2 for you?
-Frederick Bastiat
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
smoking is the best dietary supplement
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard