Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
https://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP147819i8i0g42f2igf9b00005h72429i8cih452f?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=17&w=492&h=429
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ryan
+1,230|6835|Alberta, Canada

Jay wrote:

[2ln(2)x -3ln(2)][((1/8)^x)(2^x^2)]
Waaaatt?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ryan wrote:

Jay wrote:

[2ln(2)x -3ln(2)][((1/8)^x)(2^x^2)]
Waaaatt?
That's what my TI-89 spit out. It reduces the problem down as far as possible.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
or go with this

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/51395/MSP60019i8igi7ii9d6b6f00001fh25d4cia72726d.gif
-Frederick Bastiat
Ryan

Yea I put it into WolframAlpha and that's what I got. I googled it and that is the proper way. You have to multiply it by the derivative of the exponent as well. Thanks though.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ryan wrote:

Yea I put it into WolframAlpha and that's what I got. I googled it and that is the proper way. You have to multiply it by the derivative of the exponent as well. Thanks though.
Just get the TI-89. Complex derivatives like that one were always such a tedious, pointless, mindfuck. I hated Calc I sooooooo much.
-Frederick Bastiat
Ryan

Jay wrote:

Ryan wrote:

Just get the TI-89. Complex derivatives like that one were always such a tedious, pointless, mindfuck. I hated Calc I sooooooo much.
Unfortunately for my final on Friday (and any tests we did this semester) we can only use our scientific calculators. If I got to use my TI-83, it would be so much easier.

I took calculus in high school, but I'm taking it again for a refresher.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
You have calculators to do the simple maths I did at school prior to university?
FML
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
just take it as yet another example contributing to your fine genius, dilbert
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6731|Toronto | Canada

we're not allowed calculators in any level of mathematics here

its not like you normally need them anyway, after a certain point you dont use numbers anymore
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I was allowed to use a TI-36X because it's allowed on the engineering exam and a TI-89 for all my engineering courses. I took Calc II during the summer and that school had no calculator policy. TI-89 for integrals? Yes please!
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
school calculator policy?
my experience has been prof to prof
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

school calculator policy?
my experience has been prof to prof
It might've been a prof thing, I only took the one class there.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I pretty much didn't use calculators at uni, most of our exams were derivations of equations from first principles, not actual use of the equations
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

sounds like basically cheating, ive never even owned a graphing calculator and only used one in high school a few times.

id rather actually learn
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
dont know if its possible to go through our schools without a graphing calculator
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463
i wish you could invent a pocket device that would formulate complex theoretical and philosophical arguments for you

or give you the answer to a thematic question, in full 15,000 word format
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

RTHKI wrote:

dont know if its possible to go through our schools without a graphing calculator
how so? ive managed through high school and university level engineering, physics and math courses without needing one.  without even needing a regular calculator most of the time either.  youre supposed to learn concepts, not number crunching.  the graphing aspect becomes irrelevant after you leave high school 2D space anyway
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

It was required that I buy a TI-83 in high school.
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
what jay said. was required for me too..
dont need a graphing calculator for plenty of stuff but it made everything so much easier to keep track of
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

So you just skipped the learning part? Neat.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Winston_Churchill wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

how so? ive managed through high school and university level engineering, physics and math courses without needing one.  without even needing a regular calculator most of the time either.  youre supposed to learn concepts, not number crunching.  the graphing aspect becomes irrelevant after you leave high school 2D space anyway
All of which is worthless and forgotten when you leave college. Try doing an integral by hand when you get out of school, you'll get slapped down and pointed to the volumes of pre-calculated integrals that you'll have access to.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6463

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

but i understand the cat. the cat in the box.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

No, it was supplemental, and tests were designed specifically to avoid the calculator giving easy answers. It was more realistic. I don't know about you, but I'm never more than a few feet from a calculator on a daily basis.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

but i understand the cat. the cat in the box.
No one understands the cat.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard