Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

Uzique wrote:

Jay wrote:

Uzique wrote:

you have classes where people get to sit on beanbags and play gameboy?

/america
david beckham studies
at one university in the 100-something rank, launched solely to get publicity for said university? yeah i'm sure no single college in america has ever launched a gimmick course or a joke taught masters in anything to attract attention or niche $$$. you make it sound as if there's a whole bunch of people applying to universities across the board in this discipline. lol.
i don't care, i was simply refuting your /america sigh
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Uzique wrote:

/america
Yeah.

The next AP English class I took used proper desks...but still started with a refresher course on the basic parts of speech. At least that part was over quickly.

"OK, 10th graders, this is a nooooouuunnn."

"OOOOOOH!"
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
degree in star trek at georgetown university, washington
degree in queer musicology, ucla

that last one sounds like an ideal career transition for you, galt
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD
that wasn't at a uni though, he said it was in high school

e: I think Carnegie Mellon has a course on the history of sneakers as art

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2011-12-02 05:58:26)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

degree in star trek at georgetown university, washington
degree in queer musicology, ucla

that last one sounds like an ideal career transition for you, galt
innit?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

/america
Yeah.

The next AP English class I took used proper desks...but still started with a refresher course on the basic parts of speech. At least that part was over quickly.

"OK, 10th graders, this is a nooooouuunnn."

"OOOOOOH!"
we get taught the basic noun/verb/adjective stuff when we're about 9
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man
+130|4545|Always Sunny in Philadelphia
cool
What is your Spaghetti Policy Here?

What A Long Strange Trip It's Been
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
story
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Well...apparently American students need to be reminded what they are at the beginning of each year.

Drove me nuts.
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man
what fucking school did you go to, newbie?

my god this does not represent any school that i have been to.

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

/washington
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man
zeek if you are taking everything newbie says as america then i feel bad for you

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Chardee MacDennis wrote:

zeek if you are taking everything newbie says as america then i feel bad for you
A good part of what I say about America's education is subjective to the types of schools I've attended (I've done public, private and home and seen a number of advantages and disadvantages to each). Another part comes from experience in speaking with other Americans and trying not to facepalm at the radiant ignorance. Another is due to scathing articles about it that I don't find all that hard to believe given what I have seen.

It's not the worst in the world, but there's a ton of room for improvement. The bloody 1-2 week basic refreshers I had to sit through at the beginning of each high school year made me stir crazy.

If you didn't have to go through any of that, then your school must've had the midas touch.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
lol of course not. but then again we have a state enforced curriculum which means that weird hippie bullshit doesn't get taught in schools in our version of 'washington'. or 'portland' or whatever. kids learn their basics at age 9 and that's that. so it is kinda an 'americaaaa' thing, in that you get such localised control over schools, which allows a whole load of fluctuation in the bullshit-o-meter.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Year: 1997. History book: 1971. Administration office storage room: two crates full of rubber chickens and Frisbees for an experimental anger management course for students.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Year: 1997. History book: 1971. Administration office storage room: two crates full of rubber chickens and Frisbees for an experimental anger management course for students.
It's just like The Wire season 4: school doesn't hand out new textbook to students, buys brand new HP printers and put them in storage.

I hated force fed grammar lessons, doesn't make you a better writer at all. IDENTIFY THE VERB IN THIS SENTENCE. GOOD JOB A+ YOU GOT 2400 ON SATs!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
that's not what english is about, though... poor you to have such a bad education
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

lol of course not. but then again we have a state enforced curriculum which means that weird hippie bullshit doesn't get taught in schools in our version of 'washington'. or 'portland' or whatever. kids learn their basics at age 9 and that's that. so it is kinda an 'americaaaa' thing, in that you get such localised control over schools, which allows a whole load of fluctuation in the bullshit-o-meter.
Having room for experimentation is not a bad thing you know. We do have state guidelines at the local level so it doesn't get TOO absurd. Absurdity is left to private, alternative, schools for the most part.
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

Uzique wrote:

that's not what english is about, though... poor you to have such a bad education
principals wife was a grammar cunt and she was head of the english department... to quote her "the lack of grammar is the root cause of global instability" lolwat
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
sounds like avril incandenza from infinite jest
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

There's nothing wrong with focusing on the mechanics of English as long as it's going to be applied to something other than Great Expectations. But I suppose the one thing my second (sans-beanbag, non-Gameboy-playing) AP English class did do was technical writing, even if the literary selection was dry as rat poop in a Nevada basement.

What still strikes me as funny is that I've never gotten a straight answer out of any of them about what made a classic book classic. I could pick alternatives nearly as ancient as the ones on the list and they'd be rejected as inadequate.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5475|Bolingbrook, Illinois
writing 70 lines in iambic pentameter rhyming couplets is a perfect example of useless english shit that does not benefit me at all
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

What still strikes me as funny is that I've never gotten a straight answer out of any of them about what made a classic book classic. I could pick alternatives nearly as ancient as the ones on the list and they'd be rejected as inadequate.
What made them classics was the fact that they are not offensive or controversial and the local board of education thought they were the safest choice. They also tend to be really easy or have a lot already written about them so there isn't any worries about kids just not getting it and failing out. Add to the fact the older teacher are comfortable teaching what they have been teaching for 20 years.

My senior year English teacher explained this us when we complained about how boring Beowulf was. It turns into one giant positive feed back loop. Books become classics because of how much they get pushed and they get pushed because they are classics.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

Macbeth wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

What made them classics was the fact that they are not offensive or controversial and the local board of education thought they were the safest choice..
Romeo and Juliet is pretty dirty lol. Schools keep teaching them because most kids don't know wtf theyre reading.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with focusing on the mechanics of English as long as it's going to be applied to something other than Great Expectations. But I suppose the one thing my second (sans-beanbag, non-Gameboy-playing) AP English class did do was technical writing, even if the literary selection was dry as rat poop in a Nevada basement.

In some cases it's because it's a foundational book for all of western literature a la Homer's Iliad and Odyssey. In other cases it's simply because it's a book that the teacher learned about in the past, or it is a book that was able to pass through the school board curriculum committee, or it's the 'well, they're doing it, so it must be good, let's copy'. Personally, I hated most of the classics I was forced to read. Jane Austen? omgkillmenow Same for Dickens, and Hardy or any 18th century American writer. Basically the entire era where authors were paid by the word should be flushed from history imo.

What it comes down to is literature being subjective, teachers being inherently lazy, and there being a plethora of commentary on the books taught in schools. Want to know where your english teachers opinion on certain passages of "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came" came from? The fucking teachers edition of Norton's Anthology
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard