Poll

OSX 10.7 - Lion - Does anyone actually like it?

Yes10%10% - 3
No17%17% - 5
I've never used it so have no valid opinion72%72% - 21
Total: 29
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

Simple enough question - does anyone like Apple's latest OS?

I know it's not exactly brand new, but I've been giving it a chance to get through teething problems.

Also, can anyone who likes it give an example of something (non-cosmetic) that they prefer in it compared to previous versions of OSX?
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6172|Sydney | ♥

Apple and non-cosmetic?

Really?

I upgraded my macbook to lion from snow leopord, and I love it. Though, only because it's a laptop, and the spaces, three finger swiping, three finger up down, quick expose shit is really well done. It makes using a laptop no longer limmiting in screen space and similar.

To use it on an iMac environment would be utterly shit. I would hate it. However on a laptop, fucking ace. Couldn't go anything else.

EDIT: oh and lion did require myself to go out and buy 4GB of ram for the laptop, as 2GB just didn't cut it anymore. Not that this was a worry. RAM is fucking cheap.

Last edited by tazz. (2011-11-14 16:12:28)

everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England
I like it a lot on my Air but I really have nothing to compare it against.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6535|Long Island, New York
Don't use Mission Control, don't use Launchpad. Honestly, most of the "major updates" they added don't affect or make better how I use my computer on a daily basis compared to the first version I used (whichever was the current in Summer 2010).
rdx-fx
+955|6589
Seamless integrated experience between iMac, iPad, iPhone, and AppleTV2.

Reading books on iPad,
movies and TV on any of the four (and dumping a movie from phone to TV via remote app),

Most of the GUI experience is very well put together and "It Just Works". iTunes, iLife apps
If something can't be done in the GUI, old school Unix command line does the trick.

Wife likes iPhoto for all the pictures she's taken
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
it's mildly annoying when the trackpad mistakes two fingers for three
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire
inb4 jays fat fingers
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
gurdeep
­
+812|4752|proll­y
still havent tried it. only been using windows 7 on my mbp for the last 2 months anyways
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

tazz. wrote:

Apple and non-cosmetic?

Really?

I upgraded my macbook to lion from snow leopord, and I love it. Though, only because it's a laptop, and the spaces, three finger swiping, three finger up down, quick expose shit is really well done. It makes using a laptop no longer limmiting in screen space and similar.

To use it on an iMac environment would be utterly shit. I would hate it. However on a laptop, fucking ace. Couldn't go anything else.

EDIT: oh and lion did require myself to go out and buy 4GB of ram for the laptop, as 2GB just didn't cut it anymore. Not that this was a worry. RAM is fucking cheap.
So the fact the performance is substantially worse than in 10.6, the fact that numerous features have been removed (seemingly for no good reason) and the fact that functionality in numerous applications has been restricted in various ways doesn't bother you?

What about the bugs?

I don't like the fact it runs so slowly. I don't like the fact that things like certificate based encryption have been removed from services like iChat or the way Samba 1 support has been removed (but WHY???!?!?). The new version of iCal doesn't work properly.  Not having Rosetta is a big pain too.

rdx-fx wrote:

Seamless integrated experience between iMac, iPad, iPhone, and AppleTV2.

Reading books on iPad,
movies and TV on any of the four (and dumping a movie from phone to TV via remote app),

Most of the GUI experience is very well put together and "It Just Works". iTunes, iLife apps
If something can't be done in the GUI, old school Unix command line does the trick.

Wife likes iPhoto for all the pictures she's taken
So you didn't get impacted by the iPhoto update bug wiping your photo library? Lucky you.

Which of those things could you not do the same, except faster, in 10.6? How has 10.7 improved them for you?

Poseidon wrote:

Don't use Mission Control, don't use Launchpad. Honestly, most of the "major updates" they added don't affect or make better how I use my computer on a daily basis compared to the first version I used (whichever was the current in Summer 2010).
This very much sums up how I feel about the new features. However, there are loads of features that 10.6 that I used and that have now been removed.

Also it's monsterously inefficient. People moaned about Vista being a resource hog - Lion makes Vista look quick.

10.6 was everything I look for in an OS. They took 10.5 and made it faster and slicker and added stuff. They removed support for older hardware and went on an optimisation rampage. 10.7 just seems like a step back, not forward.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6283|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

gurdeep wrote:

still havent tried it. only been using windows 7 on my mbp for the last 2 months anyways
ISHYGDDT
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
gurdeep
­
+812|4752|proll­y
osx doesnt have tableninja or holdem manager, so i dont have a choice atm. def switching back to osx when im done using this for poker
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6172|Sydney | ♥

Bertster7 wrote:

So the fact the performance is substantially worse than in 10.6, the fact that numerous features have been removed (seemingly for no good reason) and the fact that functionality in numerous applications has been restricted in various ways doesn't bother you?

What about the bugs?

I don't like the fact it runs so slowly. I don't like the fact that things like certificate based encryption have been removed from services like iChat or the way Samba 1 support has been removed (but WHY???!?!?). The new version of iCal doesn't work properly.  Not having Rosetta is a big pain too.
Performance is fine on 4GB ram.

Shit, I run XP on 100MB of ram, but I don't expect to run Win7 on that little.

I only use my laptop for university, so basically, the only applications I ever use on the thing include preview and microsoft office and firefox.

For instant chat I use Adium, but very rarely.

It's also noteworth that i've since installed Windows 7 under bootcamp, as I'll be doing lots of work on the machine as I move around a lot in the coming months, not always being at home with my desktop setup.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

tazz. wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

What about the bugs?

Performance is fine on 4GB ram.

Shit, I run XP on 100MB of ram, but I don't expect to run Win7 on that little.

I only use my laptop for university, so basically, the only applications I ever use on the thing include preview and microsoft office and firefox.

For instant chat I use Adium, but very rarely.

It's also noteworth that i've since installed Windows 7 under bootcamp, as I'll be doing lots of work on the machine as I move around a lot in the coming months, not always being at home with my desktop setup.
Which version of Office do you use, 2008 or 2011?

Excel in each of those often doesn't play very nicely in Lion.

Performance being "fine" with 4GB of RAM is something that is very subjective. Performance is worse than it was in 10.6 - that's not subjective. A Windows XP/Windows 7 comparison really isn't valid here - since 10.6 itself is newer than Win 7.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6172|Sydney | ♥

I don't use excel.

The last part of your sentence does not relate at all to my analogy.

My point was that newer computers come packed with more resources, and thus, operating systems and programs combined can use more and more as they please.

My macbook is from 2008. I don't expect it to run new and flashy applications without some performance upgrades.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

tazz. wrote:

I don't use excel.

The last part of your sentence does not relate at all to my analogy.

My point was that newer computers come packed with more resources, and thus, operating systems and programs combined can use more and more as they please.

My macbook is from 2008. I don't expect it to run new and flashy applications without some performance upgrades.
They can use more resources. That doesn't mean they should or necessarily that they do. The expectation should be that you are getting something extra from the additional resources they use.

10.6 was much lighter weight than 10.5. It was a smaller install, ran faster, had all the features and added new ones.
That's what an OS update should be.

Not a lazy, bundled together at the last minute, style over substance, glitter fest. An updated OS that performs worse in every scenario (not the case with an XP/Win 7 comparison), removes a range of features that would not have been any problem to keep and that is significantly less reliable and can only run a fraction of the software available to previous releases of OSX. Where are the benefits to outweigh all these negatives?
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6565|NYC / Hamburg

Not really. I can't think of any new feature that I'm actually using. Launchpad, full screen, auto save, that stupid thing that opens up all windows when you reboot. Urghhh ....

Only thing that's really changed for me is that Adium now crashes every time I wake it up from sleep. At least window re-sizing got a little less annoying.

I guess it's more secure now
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

max wrote:

Not really. I can't think of any new feature that I'm actually using. Launchpad, full screen, auto save, that stupid thing that opens up all windows when you reboot. Urghhh ....
You can turn that off in System Preferences. Makes it less slow.

max wrote:

Only thing that's really changed for me is that Adium now crashes every time I wake it up from sleep. At least window re-sizing got a little less annoying.

I guess it's more secure now
Why would you think it's more secure? As far as I am aware more security features have been removed than added.

There are a few cool little features - the thing in Preview that lets you use the iSight to create a signature is quite a nice little addition. But I have yet to find any really useful new features.

Lack of Rosetta just kills it for me. I have so many PPC apps - which are now useless.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Is there a workaround for the swipe pad functions not working with firefox? I got used to going back/forward with left-right swipe in safari but I like firefox's rss feedstyle too much to abandon it
-Frederick Bastiat
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

Jay wrote:

Is there a workaround for the swipe pad functions not working with firefox? I got used to going back/forward with left-right swipe in safari but I like firefox's rss feedstyle too much to abandon it
Not as far as I'm aware. Might be a plugin or something though. The FF community are usually good at fixing things like that.
Tripulaci0n
+14|6154

Jay wrote:

It's a longshot but I think that before lion you could go back and forth with three fingers, and now with lion you MIGHT be able to do it with three fingers while holding the option button. Or something like that. I've never actually tried this but I recall reading it somewhere - I read a lot of useless tech blogs.

In case you didn't know, Google Chrome works with the two finger swiping. I've never used Firefox's RSS reader so I don't know if you're referring to an extension, but if you are Chrome might have a counter part.

GL

Last edited by Tripulaci0n (2011-11-29 12:14:42)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire
i always wondered how i touchpad worked for the fat
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
working with lion at apple consumed my entire summer, and even though i have some free keys for it, i haven't upgraded my macbook yet. i'm always really slow to upgrade osx cause, well, the version i have always seems to work just fine.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Tripulaci0n wrote:

Jay wrote:

It's a longshot but I think that before lion you could go back and forth with three fingers, and now with lion you MIGHT be able to do it with three fingers while holding the option button. Or something like that. I've never actually tried this but I recall reading it somewhere - I read a lot of useless tech blogs.

In case you didn't know, Google Chrome works with the two finger swiping. I've never used Firefox's RSS reader so I don't know if you're referring to an extension, but if you are Chrome might have a counter part.

GL
yep, option + two finger swipe worked, thanks
-Frederick Bastiat
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6565|NYC / Hamburg

Bertster7 wrote:

Why would you think it's more secure? As far as I am aware more security features have been removed than added.
I just assumed. You would think they'd come up with something.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6579|SE London

Uzique wrote:

working with lion at apple consumed my entire summer, and even though i have some free keys for it, i haven't upgraded my macbook yet. i'm always really slow to upgrade osx cause, well, the version i have always seems to work just fine.
What were you doing working at Apple?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard