jord
+2,382|6675|The North, beyond the wall.
gtav's map got old, just no variation. why even put 5+ off road vehicles in when the only off roading is in a really small park or a really small beach.
Chou
+737|6788
My only gripe with GTA console games (giggle giggle) is the grainy resolution on HD 1080p, it looks absolutely fucked.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire
gta is pretty casual
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6714|Riva, MD

Poseidon wrote:

TopHat01 wrote:

^Exactly, I feel like those gameplay elements worked for Mafia a lot better because it was entirely story-driven and realistic gameplay. While it wouldn't hurt GTA to adopt some of those elements (for example, needing to change your clothes or car right after you lose the cops), adding things like a one star wanted level for speeding or running a red light just seems pointless and would be extremely unpopular throughout the community.
There had been rumors that they were going to be in GTAIV as well. When people saw the trailer showing the toll booths people freaked out. And in the end the toll booths became an afterthought.
That may be the only saving grace is depending on how Rockstar implements it vs Mafia II but it was just too much of a chore to drive in that game when you could take damage from crashes and the cops were always on your ass about speeding.  Then again all the vehicles in that game drove like giant bricks with undersized wheels so it may be more acceptable in GTA when you have a car that is actually able to get away easy enough and maneuver past other cars, similar to just driving through the toll-booths without paying in GTA IV, it was a minor nuisance as the cost of not waiting a few seconds and losing $5 to keep going without any cops on your ass......yeah, maybe this could work out after all, we'll see

Chou wrote:

My only gripe with GTA console games (giggle giggle) is the grainy resolution on HD 1080p, it looks absolutely fucked.
There's the problem, they're not powerful enough to do AA with all the quality of everything else so making shit blurry was the easy way out and they were so lazy with the PC port that the same thing is there with the option to turn it on and off in the graphics settings with no other AA-related setting built into the game, you have to use your graphics configuration program to force AA into the game.  This was definitely the case for GTA IV at least
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6738|OctoLand
Busted out GTA 4 the other day, forgot just what an awesome game it is, I think in all the hype surrounding its release I didn't fully appreciate it. Room for improvement yes, but the is so dynamic, can't wait for the next installment !
I know fucking karate
mikkel
+383|6598
My gripe with GTA: IV is that the world seems so empty, and that everything is very static. There are few buildings that you can enter, and the ones that you can enter have nothing interesting in them. You also can't really do any customisation of anything, which I really don't get. Why can't I put a suppressor on a weapon, or get an extended clip, or a scope? Why can't I choose what I want to put in my apartments? Saints Row 2 did this to a very shallow extent, and it felt way more involving for it. GTA: IV is a sandbox with plastic on all the furniture.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire
all i want is first person vehicles
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6714|Riva, MD

mikkel wrote:

My gripe with GTA: IV is that the world seems so empty, and that everything is very static. There are few buildings that you can enter, and the ones that you can enter have nothing interesting in them. You also can't really do any customisation of anything, which I really don't get. Why can't I put a suppressor on a weapon, or get an extended clip, or a scope? Why can't I choose what I want to put in my apartments? Saints Row 2 did this to a very shallow extent, and it felt way more involving for it. GTA: IV is a sandbox with plastic on all the furniture.
Keep in mind GTA IV was basically Rockstars first game for this generation of console hardware and the brand new engine they'd developed for it.

It's the same case as before with GTA III, it was an amazing game for the freshly released PS2 but it still felt like some simple things were missing, then a few years later after they improve on it and get some more experience with it by making Vice City, they released San Andreas which as everyone knows was godly.  Same case with this, they released GTA IV, then improved a little bit more on the engine with each game after that starting with Red Dead Redemption which had more realistic physics and then L.A. Noire with improved animations and work with detailed interior environments and fine detail in general and now Max Payne 3 which will probably be another good mix of improvements.  All of these "tests", developer experience and engine improvements and optimizations are going to help to make GTA V just as incredible as San Andreas if not more so when it comes out.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire
but they left out the simple things people liked about sa. like weapons
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6714|Riva, MD
Yeah I have to admit there was a lot of SA stuff missing in GTA IV, the lack of parachutes until TBoGT came out was especially ridiculous in my opinion but at least the lack of car customization made sense with a new Midnight Club coming out a few months later at the time GTA IV was released.

Rumor has it that the game was primarily developed on the PS3 and then they realized much of the content wouldn't be able to fit on a single DVD for the 360 and had to start cutting things.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6465

_j5689_ wrote:

Yeah I have to admit there was a lot of SA stuff missing in GTA IV, the lack of parachutes until TBoGT came out was especially ridiculous in my opinion but at least the lack of car customization made sense with a new Midnight Club coming out a few months later at the time GTA IV was released.

Rumor has it that the game was primarily developed on the PS3 and then they realized much of the content wouldn't be able to fit on a single DVD for the 360 and had to start cutting things.
PC version came on 2 DVDs, and used nearly all the space on them. I doubt higher quality textures would take up that much extra room.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6714|Riva, MD
Yeah I don't know then.  Either way GTA V should bring back anything that's ever been in GTA that will work on the current generation of hardware, they already brought the planes back, lol.  I can't wait to see how GTA VI or whatever they'll call it will look on the XBox 720 and PS4 if they can do all this already on the same 7-year old shit.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6389|Southern California

jord wrote:

The physics in 4 were great, I sincerely hope there is large open, offroad areas in 5 with the same physics and car damage from 4.

oh and jets

and gangs/turf wars
Nothing in 4 could quite get enough grip offroad.

I fucking loved SA offroading, as well as mountain biking (take bike at top of mountain, launch off random side... skip along random rocks till crashing then try and use the parachute to not die...) I really hope stuff like that is possible. If they used the Physics from 4, terrain from SA and gave off roady type cars and bikes tires that gripped dirty areas to some degree (you almost couldn't drive straight at times in 4) I will be very very happy.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6714|Riva, MD
Well, multiple sources have said that only half of GTA V's map was the city of Los Santos, which itself is supposed to already be 5x as big as Liberty City.  Which means the other half of the map is is an equally massive amount of land full of mountains and probably other rural off-road types of terrain
VicktorVauhn
+319|6389|Southern California
I hope I can do some form of bombing down mountains on bikes

That is good news though, and you figure if they give you a bunch of off roading area... they gotta make the cars work a little better off road.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6714|Riva, MD
Yeah, they'll have to make the existing ones work better and add a whole bunch of new vehicles specifically for it.  And all of them both new and old will likely be customizable this time around
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5902|CA
I look forward to an updated BF Injection.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6535|Long Island, New York

TopHat01 wrote:

I look forward to an updated BF Injection.
Oh GOD yes. That thing sounded amazing.
mikkel
+383|6598

_j5689_ wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Keep in mind GTA IV was basically Rockstars first game for this generation of console hardware and the brand new engine they'd developed for it.

It's the same case as before with GTA III, it was an amazing game for the freshly released PS2 but it still felt like some simple things were missing, then a few years later after they improve on it and get some more experience with it by making Vice City, they released San Andreas which as everyone knows was godly.  Same case with this, they released GTA IV, then improved a little bit more on the engine with each game after that starting with Red Dead Redemption which had more realistic physics and then L.A. Noire with improved animations and work with detailed interior environments and fine detail in general and now Max Payne 3 which will probably be another good mix of improvements.  All of these "tests", developer experience and engine improvements and optimizations are going to help to make GTA V just as incredible as San Andreas if not more so when it comes out.
That's not any kind of valid excuse for omitting actual content. Yes, they spent a long time on a new engine and made it sorta pretty with some nifty physics. That took a long time to do. Letting you modify weapons and cars in a meaningful way, and letting you add stuff to your apartments? Take a coder and a 3D artist and stick them in a corner for a week, and that's it. I'm continually amazed by how a lot of game developers spend years building the core stuff, and then don't take the extra week or two to do the things that make the game feel more substantial, and keep it fun outside of the storyline.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6714|Riva, MD
It's all about the deadlines
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS
I don't think it's anywhere near as simple as just putting a guy in a room for a week and coming out with a fully working fully tested implemented feature
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
mikkel
+383|6598

Spark wrote:

I don't think it's anywhere near as simple as just putting a guy in a room for a week and coming out with a fully working fully tested implemented feature
Slight hyperbole, yes, but these features really, really are not incredibly complex. At all. The core code already exists and can be reused. Menus from weapon shops, multiple weapons per item slot from core weapon choices, and all GTA games have had weapon and vehicle characteristics in structured text files, making modding ridiculously easy. Adding a new weapon means adding the model, the textures, and a single line to a text file. If you have the model, it takes literally five minutes to do from scratch without the proper developer tools. It is not by any means a major item.

Last edited by mikkel (2012-04-03 22:35:39)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6714|Riva, MD
I hope they decide to release the (stable) PC version alongside the console versions with GTA V instead of 8 months later and unplayably laggy and crashy without several patches

GTA IV for PC took a long long time to get where it is, even after they patched all that initial stuff, it didn't even get the DLCs until much later when they were both already out on the 360.  I'm thinking this probably shouldn't happen this time around now that the majority of people are hip to the console favoritism bullshit and plus Rockstar knows how to use both Steam and Games for Windows - Live as distribution platforms now
bennisboy
+829|6643|Poundland
On leaving stuff out in 4.

I think some of it needs to be taken in a commercial way. Look at apple with their iStuff. They never put in everything that they could at the release because that leaves no scope for a new product to be launched. They add a few new features every time, just enough to have a buzz about the product and get everyone to buy it, rather than launch something almost exactly the same and hope that people will buy it because of the name
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6738|OctoLand
Any ideas of a release date yet?
I know fucking karate

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard