Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

Of course they do. Do you think our government doesn't realize that beforehand and has made the decision that taking bout terrorist leadership is more important?

Do you honestly think that the governments involved don't debate the issue before deciding whether or not to agree?
I still don't see how 'taking out the leadership' really achieves anything, in Afghanistan the experts are agreed that its been wholly counterproductive.

If the Taliban were to assassinate the US President and half his advisers would that change America's anti-terrorism plan one jot?
It would make them madder, just as assassinating Afghan and Pakistani tribal leaders does.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6230|Escea

You're taking out the smarter echelons of the organisation, the one's who tell the uneducated subordinates what to do.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

M.O.A.B wrote:

You're taking out the smarter echelons of the organisation, the one's who tell the uneducated subordinates what to do.
Also the "king of media" for Al Qeada. The thing is with democracies, it's easy to replace leaders and have a strong shadow government, but with organizations that exert total control, they usually don't have any plans to replace anyone effectively.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6505

FEOS wrote:

Of course they do. Do you think our government doesn't realize that beforehand and has made the decision that taking bout terrorist leadership is more important?

Do you honestly think that the governments involved don't debate the issue before deciding whether or not to agree?
in response to the Nairobi and Dar es Salaam embassy bombings, Clinton ordered tomahawk strikes after internal debates decided that they would be the quickest way to remove the then understood terrorist movement's leadership.

Dilbert_X wrote:

I still don't see how 'taking out the leadership' really achieves anything, in Afghanistan the experts are agreed that its been wholly counterproductive.
who are these "experts?" with a network like al Queda, almost all of the roles could be replaceable, to a point. bin Laden was a wild eyed dreamer and financier. no doubt you could replace him with someone equally wild eyed, or someone with money. who would have the credibility bin Laden had, fighting Soviets in Afghanistan?
where would al Queda be without a Khalid Sheik Muhammed, the strategist? sure there could be replaced by another strategist, but how do you replace his imagination?

Dilbert, with all due respect, i implore you to use common sense. bin Laden himself wanted to 'cut the head off the snake that threatens Islam' and there is evidence flight 93 was headed for the White House. do you suppose terrorists targeted some shopping mall in northern Virginia and the Pentagon just happened to be in the way?

why wouldn't someone at war target leadership first?
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6527|Πάϊ

Macbeth wrote:

the whole 'U.S. citizen by birth killed by the CIA on a presidential death warrant' thing just doesn't feel right.
Why does it not feel right? Because he was an American citizen or because of how the justice system was bybassed?

If it's the former, I fail to understand why you would value his life more, simply because he happened to be born within the US. What difference does it make where he was born? The act remains the same. It's illegitimacy remains the same.
ƒ³
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6230|Escea

13urnzz wrote:

FEOS wrote:

in response to the Nairobi and Dar es Salaam embassy bombings, Clinton ordered tomahawk strikes after internal debates decided that they would be the quickest way to remove the then understood terrorist movement's leadership.
I read a book about an SF operation to get Bin Laden just after the bombings. They drew up all the plans to ambush his convoy, but just as they were about to deploy they were stood down and the Tomahawks were launched. Unfortunately, as we now know, the decision to use missiles instead didn't quite go according to plan. I'm not even sure they really use Tomahawks for this kind of thing anymore, given that the drones can maintain surveillance.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

So every time a cop shoots someone without taking them to court, it's an execution.

Got it.
Depends, if its in a firefight then no, if he creeps into his house and shoots him while he's asleep on the say-so of a superior then thats an execution.
So when we wage war, are we always supposed to give the enemy warning before each action? "Terribly sorry, my good man, but we're about to bomb you and your chaps. Thought you outta know."
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6230|Escea

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

So every time a cop shoots someone without taking them to court, it's an execution.

Got it.
Depends, if its in a firefight then no, if he creeps into his house and shoots him while he's asleep on the say-so of a superior then thats an execution.
So when we wage war, are we always supposed to give the enemy warning before each action? "Terribly sorry, my good man, but we're about to bomb you and your chaps. Thought you outta know."
Tbh, I don't really see much point in waiting for these kinds of people to attack or incite attacks first - which some are unbelievably saying should have been allowed first so that killing him would then be legal, or something. If they're spouting this kind of hate and rallying up people to do murder, then they should be fair game.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6418|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

If the Taliban were to assassinate the US President and half his advisers would that change America's anti-terrorism plan one jot?
It would make them madder, just as assassinating Afghan and Pakistani tribal leaders does.
Source for these "experts'" opinions? And the drone strikes aren't really in Afghanistan, now are they? They're in Pakistan and Yemen...where the higher, strategic leaders are...not the battlefield commanders.

@LBJ: Your clear implication was that there was little/no debate (recall your "hegemonic power being thrown around" comment). You said there SHOULD be debate, but implied there wasn't any. Hence my counterargument.

@13urnzz: Quickest does not equate to most effective or recommended.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Reciprocity
+721|6588|the dank(super) side of Oregon

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

that'll put the ministry of ungentlemanly warfare out of business.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6505

FEOS wrote:

@13urnzz: Quickest does not equate to most effective or recommended.
where were you when slick willie needed advice?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

13urnzz wrote:

Dilbert, with all due respect, i implore you to use common sense. bin Laden himself wanted to 'cut the head off the snake that threatens Islam' and there is evidence flight 93 was headed for the White House. do you suppose terrorists targeted some shopping mall in northern Virginia and the Pentagon just happened to be in the way?
Bin Laden wanted to sucker the west into a war in the ME, I doubt he thought for a second killing, or trying to kill, the President would do anything other than enrage the whole country, same for the pentagon.

What would the US have done if Bush had been killed - apart from not gone into financial meltdown?

Everyone would have been walking in circles and bumping into each other?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Source for these "experts'" opinions? And the drone strikes aren't really in Afghanistan, now are they? They're in Pakistan and Yemen...where the higher, strategic leaders are...not the battlefield commanders.
Its been reported often enough, killing the 'relatively moderate' Taliban leaders with whom we were conducting negotiations has simply cleared the way for younger crazies who are only interested in jihad and martyrdom.
Same goes for the various Pakistani tribes. Killing them just pisses off their relatives and proves them right on the nasty west.

Applies doubly when more than half the Aghans have no clue as to why the West is even in their country to begin with.
Pakistani tribes probably have even less idea.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-10-04 00:17:54)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6156|'straya

FEOS wrote:

@LBJ: Your clear implication was that there was little/no debate (recall your "hegemonic power being thrown around" comment). You said there SHOULD be debate, but implied there wasn't any. Hence my counterargument.
Sorry but you are mixing your timeline up, I only mentioned anything regarding hegemony and reasons for debate after you started countering an argument I hadn't made.

Again, I said the debate is misplaced, you said there is no debate, I gave reasons as to why there should be a debate, you proceeded to defend drone strikes against a debate I hadn't made.

I have never once actually stated my views on drone strikes, but I will state them now if you would like to argue.

From one point of view I think the technology is fantastic, I understand that technically the countries have given their permission, and that the US is effectively trying to take out the threat before it threatens the US or its people (which in many ways is fair enough after the attacks/on-going insurgency). However, on the other side I think it sets a precedent which is not necessarily a good one, I also think that the countries involved are not necessarily in favour of these strikes (despite their official position) and I think that it is a tactic that can be too much shoot first and say sorry later.
FEOS
+1,182|6418|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Its been reported often enough, killing the 'relatively moderate' Taliban leaders with whom we were conducting negotiations has simply cleared the way for younger crazies who are only interested in jihad and martyrdom.
Same goes for the various Pakistani tribes. Killing them just pisses off their relatives and proves them right on the nasty west.

Applies doubly when more than half the Aghans have no clue as to why the West is even in their country to begin with.
Pakistani tribes probably have even less idea.
We don't kill "relatively moderate Taliban leaders with whom we were conducting negotiations." Unless Karzai was negotiating with them and not telling us...they would've been put on a no-strike list.

So again: Where's the source for these "experts'" opinions that you reference?

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Sorry but you are mixing your timeline up, I only mentioned anything regarding hegemony and reasons for debate after you started countering an argument I hadn't made.

Again, I said the debate is misplaced, you said there is no debate, I gave reasons as to why there should be a debate, you proceeded to defend drone strikes against a debate I hadn't made.
This:

FEOS wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

In my opinion there is a serious debate about the legality and morality of drone strike in sovereign nations, but I don't think where the person was born is a factor at all.
when those countries are complicit, what's the debate?
is not the same thing as saying "there is no debate". And you never said "the debate is misplaced" you implied/stated it's not happening. I never said it's not happening. In fact, I said the opposite, to counter your position. It happens--all the time. And the governments of the nations involved are complicit, or it wouldn't be occurring in their territory. They may officially protest, but they continue to allow it and cooperate to make it happen, because they don't want those characters in their country, either.

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

I have never once actually stated my views on drone strikes, but I will state them now if you would like to argue.

From one point of view I think the technology is fantastic, I understand that technically the countries have given their permission, and that the US is effectively trying to take out the threat before it threatens the US or its people (which in many ways is fair enough after the attacks/on-going insurgency). However, on the other side I think it sets a precedent which is not necessarily a good one, I also think that the countries involved are not necessarily in favour of these strikes (despite their official position) and I think that it is a tactic that can be too much shoot first and say sorry later.
I already covered this position:

FEOS wrote:

It's not like you're going to hold a fucking referendum before each operation to make sure the public OKs it. That's what the government's for.
There is no "shoot first and say sorry later." Target vetting is extremely rigorous. Yes, there are mistakes made, but they are extremely rare and are investigated to the nth detail in an effort to prevent them from occurring in the future. Normally, the reports of "weddings" being struck are complete bullshit propaganda from the other side. You'll notice the stories die off (no pun intended) pretty rapidly after initial reports of high civilian casualties. Why do you think that is? It's because normally, the investigation reveals that there were actually few/none, but the press ran with the inflammatory "high civilian body count" lead because it was sensational...but then never said, "Oh...our bad. Turns out it was really a bunch of terrorists after all." Does that happen every time? Of course not. Does it happen often enough to be a pattern? Absolutely.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I thought we were negotiating with all the Taliban for a transition to peace of some kind.

Killing the older, wiser ones to make way for younger madder ones has been pretty much agreed on to be counter-productive.
FEOS
+1,182|6418|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

I thought we were negotiating with all the Taliban for a transition to peace of some kind.

Killing the older, wiser ones to make way for younger madder ones has been pretty much agreed on to be counter-productive.
Not all of the Taliban are open to negotiations...so how could we be negotiating with all of them? Re-read what you posted.

It's the older "wiser" ones who are often set in their ways, anyway. You negotiate with the ones who are open to negotiation. You don't base it on demographics. You take out those who continue to fight. You don't base that on demographics, either.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
"You take out those who continue to fight" - I guess nothing was learned from Vietnam.
FEOS
+1,182|6418|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

"You take out those who continue to fight" - I guess nothing was learned from Vietnam.
And what do you propose one does with someone who is attacking you? Throw flower petals in their path?
― Albert Einstein

RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6722|US

Dilbert_X wrote:

There are many lessons to be learned from Vietnam, but leaving the guys who want to kill you to their own devices is certainly NOT one of them!

If someone won't stop attacking you until they are dead, negotiations aren't going to work.  You either leave them incapable or dead.  Otherwise, stand by for casualties on your side.

Is this a tough concept?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

RAIMIUS wrote:

If someone won't stop attacking you until they are dead, negotiations aren't going to work.
And who says that is the case in Afghanistan?
You either leave them incapable or dead.
Didn't really work for the British, or the Russians or...

FEOS wrote:

And what do you propose one does with someone who is attacking you? Throw flower petals in their path?
Worked just fine for Ghandi, Mandela etc - Protip: Learn from winners, not losers.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Why don't you volunteer to go be a prisoner of Taliban forces and martyr our way to victory?
FEOS
+1,182|6418|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Worked just fine for Ghandi, Mandela etc - Protip: Learn from winners, not losers.
Except it didn't work for either of them...particularly Mandela.
― Albert Einstein

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS

Dilbert_X wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

If someone won't stop attacking you until they are dead, negotiations aren't going to work.
And who says that is the case in Afghanistan?
You either leave them incapable or dead.
Didn't really work for the British, or the Russians or...

FEOS wrote:

there is such a thing as context you know

Except it didn't work for either of them...particularly Mandela.
and that
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
In the long run who won:

Ghandi in India [ ]

Mandela in South Africa [ ]

America in Vietnam [ ]

Russia in Afghanistan [ ]

Pick two.

Board footer