voodoodolphins
+92|6717
I like it now, but I will prob love it, if it got toned down a bit....not that I have any good suggestions. I dont get how it works, when both the sniper and the spectator/mark are in a dark place?? outside it makes sense to me, but inside when its dark???

Last edited by voodoodolphins (2011-10-01 10:04:50)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5193|Sydney

eusgen wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Absolutely no point in playing sniper anymore.
Awesome.
Still waiting on an argument that will sway me from this perspective.

Ah well, I guess it won't happen.
Brasso
+1,549|6645

well as sniper you get a gun that may or may not kill someone in one hit to the torso.  whereas if you use other guns, you will most probably kill someone with 3 shots at most.  wait...
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6580|Area 51
Meh. I can't be bothered by it. Been sniping a bit in the beta and it doesn't seem to be affecting me in a negative way and it comes in pretty hand when snipers are shooting at me and I'd like to know where they are shooting from.

But ye, it could be a bit less. The way it is now, it looks as if someone is shining a flashlight at you.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6757|FUCK UBISOFT

sniping without a scope is really good though.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
jord
+2,382|6693|The North, beyond the wall.

Jaekus wrote:

eusgen wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Awesome.
Still waiting on an argument that will sway me from this perspective.

Ah well, I guess it won't happen.
I've said it before bit I'll repeat it one last time because I just don't have the inclination anymore. The battlefield series is about variation, it's what makes it so entertaining over 100's of hours. Variation in engagements, kits, weapons, strategy and vehicles puts the series above the rival generic FPS's. When you remove a kit, or nerf one massively you detract from the games longevity. Without very different weapons, you've just got another CSS with everyone running around with an AK or an m4, awesomez.

Sniping is nothing new, I don't know why people are still bitching about it in the year 2011.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6696|Disaster Free Zone
Bring back 1942s 1 shot sniper kills and no revives.

EDIT: Also the lens flair is so fucking gay.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2011-10-01 13:23:15)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5488|Ventura, California
Is this only for snipers or is it for anybody that uses an optic or even holographic sight?
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6171|Vancouver | Canada

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Is this only for snipers or is it for anybody that uses an optic or even holographic sight?
I think for anything above an Acog, though I might be wrong.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5716|College Park, MD
does that shit happen in real life? i feel like that Finnish sniper would have had a much worse KDR if he kept on flashing the Russians with light every time he moved his rifle around.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6794|Great Brown North

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

does that shit happen in real life? i feel like that Finnish sniper would have had a much worse KDR if he kept on flashing the Russians with light every time he moved his rifle around.
no it does not happen like this, you get the odd glint if the lighting is correct.... but that's it

that finnish sniper didn't use a scope
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6342|Australia

DefCon-17 wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I think for anything above an Acog, though I might be wrong.
You're right. Anything above 4x gets the glint, which is surprising as I remember reading that it only applied to the 12x. I guess they changed it.

As for the glint itself, I think it's pretty retarded how it's implemented now. Between the bullet drop, target lead and breath control sniping is only really effective while stationary and prone - a position which, for all the whinging directed at it, leaves you very vulnerable. You are stationary and the largest target you present is your head, which anyone can line up after you give away your position through your muzzle flash and gunshot. Now you give away your position even before you have a chance to shoot.
And the angle in which the glare shows up is quite wide: on many occasions I found myself looking at the glares of 3 scopes and wasn't being shot at because they were aiming at the people around me. This problem is exacerbated on rush, where you have a long, narrow map with one team advancing towards the other.
I can understand it's implementation - the ability to suppress sniper rifles, more dense foliage/map clutter and the lack of an all seeing commander to scan for/spot lone enemies makes it more difficult to pick out snipers then it was in BF2 - but they need to do it better. Limit it to the 12x only, narrow its field to only show when aiming directly at the target or maybe give recon a spotters scope, so they can pick out targets without producing glint.

Last edited by Sup3r_Dr4gon (2011-10-01 21:04:00)

-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
A lot of his kills were with an SMG too though.

In GK they'd cut out skinny horizontal rectangles in their scope covers and use that to reduce the reflection as much as possible.

I just noticed they messed up the sniper's view of the reticle. He has a perfect circle instead of a rectangle.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6171|Vancouver | Canada
I still pull off sniper streaks occasionally while standing.

For instance, the first row of bushes on the left when you're attacking. You have to stand behind them to get a good look at the enemies, so I stand, scan a bit, crouch a bit, stand back up, scan, etc.

Once I got a kill on a sniper, then his buddy revived him, then i killed both of them with one bullet, then another guy, then a guy sprinting perpendicular to me.
It's doable.

The bipod is weird though. I was hoping it'd be more like DoD:S, but instead you spend a few seconds putting it out. Could be useful on larger maps though.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6794|Great Brown North

-Sh1fty- wrote:

A lot of his kills were with an SMG too though.

In GK they'd cut out skinny horizontal rectangles in their scope covers and use that to reduce the reflection as much as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ52yIe3eYM

I just noticed they messed up the sniper's view of the reticle. He has a perfect circle instead of a rectangle.
they didn't mess anything up, that's how it would look

it also helps keep a lot of really bright light out so you don't strain your eyes. i do this when hunting coyotes in the winter
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5699|SQUID
As I said, they should have an light filter option on one of the mod options, like the bipod, laser slot.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Oh, but why doesn't the lens cap not hide anything outside of the rectangular hole?
Reciprocity
+721|6595|the dank(super) side of Oregon

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Oh, but why doesn't the lens cap not hide anything outside of the rectangular hole?
because the field of view at the objective lense is tiny.  usually just a few millimeters.  all that is actually necessary is a small hole in the center of the cap to provide a complete field of view.  the reason scopes have large objective lenses is to gather as much light as possible.
Roc18
`
+655|5805|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
These game developers are fucking idiots. In real life the sniper glint doesn't happen that often and isn't that obvious and if it was wouldn't you think the soldiers would change from a reflective scope that gives their position away that easily. I want to choke whoever came up with this idea in DICE.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
That makes sense! Thanks for clearing it up. +1 Reciprocity

Last edited by -Sh1fty- (2011-10-02 00:37:00)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6731

Roc18 wrote:

These game developers are fucking idiots. In real life the sniper glint doesn't happen that often and isn't that obvious and if it was wouldn't you think the soldiers would change from a reflective scope that gives their position away that easily. I want to choke whoever came up with this idea in DICE.
lol sniper glint in the dark. dice needs to goddamn fix it.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I agree with you Cybargs. Hopefully they'll make the glint more subtle and even non-existent in certain areas.

*E:

> glint
> killcam

pick one and only one

Last edited by -Sh1fty- (2011-10-02 00:44:53)

UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5051|Massachusetts, USA

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I agree with you Cybargs. Hopefully they'll make the glint more subtle and even non-existent in certain areas.

*E:

> glint
> killcam

pick one and only one
You haven't played the game yet, why are you trying to contribute.

The glint is only for the 12x scope. It's a good concept, it's just been poorly executed. All it needs is to look less like a flashlight from 200m and more like a solar reflection off of a mirror. Also when you see it in a dark area (like metro) it's the worst goddamn idea ever.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6014|Vortex Ring State

-Sh1fty- wrote:

did you ever take physics sh1fty?

remember the optics unit?
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6483
I'm cool with anything that makes it more difficult to be a camper.

Also if you need anything more than the 4x scope to snipe on Metro you really suck at sniping and probably suck at video games in general.

Like my roommate!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard