Poll

What are your impressions of the Battlefield 3 beta?

Awesome16%16% - 18
Good32%32% - 35
Middle of the road24%24% - 26
Bad12%12% - 13
F*ck this game14%14% - 16
Total: 108
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6733|Riva, MD

jmsprovan wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

NeXuS wrote:

Comma rose will be in PC no doubt about it. Idk about consoles. I dont see why not.
What makes you so sure it'll be in the PC version?  The Q key already spots people, and does nothing else at all.  Commo rose would require even more PC-specific programming, god forbid
they have already confirmed that it will be in the full release
This is very important, link me to proof

This also makes me think even more that the beta was just a really basic shitty direct console port they gave PC players just so we could have a beta, although it's obviously still got DX10 support(I'm assuming it's DirectX 10 and not just a quick DX9 port from the consoles) which also goes against that.
Roc18
`
+655|5807|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

jmsprovan wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

.:ronin:.|Patton wrote:

For fucks sake. Simple is always better.
I hope one of the unlocks includes a bf2 style HUD ~LOL~
I mean what happened to this? lol

an aerial shot isn't very good for the underground sections m8
It's an overview of the map. When you go underground the map view would change to underground. Did I have to spell that out for you? lol
jmsprovan
+18|5828|Alba

Roc18 wrote:

jmsprovan wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

I mean what happened to this? lol

an aerial shot isn't very good for the underground sections m8
It's an overview of the map. When you go underground the map view would change to underground. Did I have to spell that out for you? lol
the map overview was the same picture as the minimap in BF2
jmsprovan
+18|5828|Alba

_j5689_ wrote:

jmsprovan wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

What makes you so sure it'll be in the PC version?  The Q key already spots people, and does nothing else at all.  Commo rose would require even more PC-specific programming, god forbid
they have already confirmed that it will be in the full release
This is very important, link me to proof

This also makes me think even more that the beta was just a really basic shitty direct console port they gave PC players just so we could have a beta, although it's obviously still got DX10 support(I'm assuming it's DirectX 10 and not just a quick DX9 port from the consoles) which also goes against that.
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/17127-com … ield-3-pc/

They had a new (far less buggy) version of the beta ready to go, but for some undisclosed reason Microsoft rejected it for the 360, so to keep the bug finding on the same terms they had to revert to the 6 week old Gamescon build which was already approved. We got Metro as the main map because they had to compare the Beta server performance figures to stats which they had already got from the Alpha, which used Metro.

That is why it seems shitty on PC.

Last edited by jmsprovan (2011-10-07 09:15:24)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6698|Disaster Free Zone
Terrible.

Graphics are terrible. They may look nice but they are functionally bad. It's way too busy, everything looks the same and is the same colour. It's almost impossible to see people and you're shooting at lights or traces rather then bodies.

Movement is a joke, it's sluggish bordering on unresponsive. The auto unscoping when going from prone to crouch/stand is a horrible feature as is the randomly flailing scope when you jump.

The terrain is overly complicated, hindering the already poor movement and making the already busy visuals even more obnoxious.

Having deploy and scope as the same button is terrible

The scope glint is a terrible idea, terribly implemented.

The flash light is a terrible idea, terribly implemented.

The mini map is useless and in the wrong spot.

The hud is busy complicated and gives little to no valuable information and what it does tell you is neither clear nor easy to read

Health being a number rather then a visual bar is terrible to quickly see how hurt you are. Regenerating health is a terrible idea.

Squad system terrible. Spawning on any member terrible.

Launching game from a browser, terrible.

Not enough classes, too many unlocks, too quick progression, ammo count instead of clips, awards every second kill lots of minor problems but added to everything else. Thank fuck I haven't wasted any money on this. I can not think of 1 redeeming quality about this game, it's either meh or terrible.

EDIT: almost forgot, no directional dmg indicator and the god awful blurring when you get shot at and the horrendous screen shake when shit blows up.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2011-10-07 11:17:37)

Roc18
`

DrunkFace wrote:

Terrible.

Graphics are terrible. They may look nice but they are functionally bad. It's way too busy, everything looks the same and is the same colour. It's almost impossible to see people and you're shooting at lights or traces rather then bodies.

Movement is a joke, it's sluggish bordering on unresponsive. The auto unscoping when going from prone to crouch/stand is a horrible feature as is the randomly flailing scope when you jump.

The terrain is overly complicated, hindering the already poor movement and making the already busy visuals even more obnoxious.

Having deploy and scope as the same button is terrible

The scope glint is a terrible idea, terribly implemented.

The flash light is a terrible idea, terribly implemented.

The mini map is useless and in the wrong spot.

The hud is busy complicated and gives little to no valuable information and what it does tell you is neither clear nor easy to read

Health being a number rather then a visual bar is terrible to quickly see how hurt you are. Regenerating health is a terrible idea.

Squad system terrible. Spawning on any member terrible.

Launching game from a browser, terrible.

Not enough classes, too many unlocks, too quick progression, ammo count instead of clips, awards every second kill lots of minor problems but added to everything else. Thank fuck I haven't wasted any money on this. I can not think of 1 redeeming quality about this game, it's either meh or terrible.
I agree with all your points. Especially the sluggishness (I had to turn up my base sensitivity that I played BC2 and BF2 on higher than I'm used to; to play this game at speeds that are acceptable) and implementation of the flashlights, scope glint and the minimap.

But 2 final aspects of the game that weren't featured in the beta that may make me want to play when the full game releases is how much the other maps impress me + Vehicle gameplay. Operation Metro may turn out to be the worst map out of the bunch.

Infantry combat is meh.

Last edited by Roc18 (2011-10-07 11:14:33)

The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5701|SQUID
Infantry combat is too easy if you have any skill.
Roc18
`

The A W S M F O X wrote:

lol yeah running around with a giant red triangle on your head half the time and trying to outflank a team that's usually camping all the way in their base with a rifle on a linear map and maintaining a great K/D while playing the objective is easy.

Last edited by Roc18 (2011-10-07 11:19:28)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6683

But I do agree the unscoping when going prone/crouch/stand movements does suck.  The times I've died from not being able to shoot because I wanted to get a better position to shoot.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6683

Roc18 wrote:

The A W S M F O X wrote:

lol yeah running around with a giant red triangle on your head half the time and trying to outflank a team that's usually camping all the way in their base with a rifle on a linear map and maintaining a great K/D while playing the objective is easy.
The red traingle quickly disappears after you've gone behind most cover.  I've spotted plenty trying to flank, but I quickly lose them after they've gone out of my sight.

Seriously, use cover in IO based maps like metro.  You can't use shitty BF2 hitreg on BF3.
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5701|SQUID

Roc18 wrote:

The A W S M F O X wrote:

Not everyone is as bad as you at video games, chief.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6670
Most of the things that are truly horrendous (shooting through terrain, one-hit kills while moving, etc. etc.) are so glaringly obvious that I have little doubt they will be 99% fixed by release.

Things like the flashlight, scope glint, etc. may very well be reduced or scrapped after release, but I think that mechanics like that are very low on the list for the devs...I remember the M60 being an obviously OP rape machine that everyone was using for at least a month with BC2, and I can't think of the last time I died to that gun.  It's gonna take a little while before they balance that crap out.

The netcode (and hit reg) seems fine at times, and then I encounter warping people and it will feel utterly terrible.  Since you can't see peoples' pings, it's hard to say whether or not it's an issue of laggers, bad netcode, slow servers or a mix of the three.  With mandatory server farms running shit, I'm guessing it's a mix.

Server browser issues and crashing...well, it's DICE, so give it about 5 years...

For all the rage the beta has induced, I feel like there are definite glimmers of hope.  I hated the feel of BF2's movement for a long time, and just used vehicles for months if not over a year...and still wound up loving the game.  If it comes down to me doing the same with BF3, so be it.

It's about time for some fucking 64 man Conquest action...
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Roc18
`

The A W S M F O X wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

The A W S M F O X wrote:

>Me
>Bad at Video Games

Pick one chief
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4859|Amsterdam
The environment is cluttered (this is a Caspian-only problem so far) and makes it hard to distinguish enemies.

Movement has a lot of unnecessary animation that make combat and moving around feel sluggish and non-responsive.
(For example: Aiming, transitioning between stances, moving to cover and jumping)

Scope glint anf flashlights have potential, but they're not living up to it as they are now.

Ranking and unlocking goes way too fast (But i heard this might be Beta only)

Battlelog is fun and all as far the social aspect goes (even though thats not really present due to the shitty squad system in the beta) but It's still shit.

The mini-map is shit. Blue on blue makes it hard to distinguish certain objects, forcing you to enlarge it and/or zoom in.

There is no big map. Enlarging the mini-map ('M') just gives you a bigger version of the mini-map. The lack of a big map makes it hard to coördinate and get a good view of the map.

Health/Vehicle regen is unnecessary.

Jets and choppers are terrible. The handling is clunky and jets only have the machine gun (maybe you unlock more as you gain exp with it, but its retarded either way). The choppers weapons aren't a lot more interesting either.
They feel more like the sluggish BC2 vehicles than the smoother BF2 versions.

More my impression of the game so far rather than just the beta since i didn't add everything that isn't present in the beta (or broken) but will be in the final game (like the commorose)
Roc18
`
All I know is Since BC2, Infantry has been harder to play. You don't get saved a death if you're revived, you move slower, shots kill you faster, medic packs regenerate instead of instahealing when you throw them down, you can't customize your cursor color (stuck with white), the red triangle of death above your head telling everyone where you are if you aren't behind some type of cover in respect to their position, Squads are only 4 man so I can't just join a pub server create a squad and invite 5 people to create a nice big squad of 6 people, No 15 second countdown we get killcams now, have to unlock about 100 things before you have the best loadout you can use and No commander.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6670

Roc18 wrote:

All I know is Since BC2, Infantry has been harder to play. You don't get saved a death if you're revived, you move slower, shots kill you faster, medic packs regenerate instead of instahealing when you throw them down, you can't customize your cursor color (stuck with white), the red triangle of death above your head telling everyone where you are if you aren't behind some type of cover in respect to their position, Squads are only 4 man so I can't just join a pub server create a squad and invite 5 people to create a nice big squad of 6 people, No 15 second countdown we get killcams now, have to unlock about 100 things before you have the best loadout you can use and No commander.
....all in an effort to make the number of people who can dominate squads (teams?) pretty much by themselves even smaller, and to give the casual gamer a fighting chance.

Which is bollocks, but that's the state of the gaming industry right now.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6516|so randum

Roc18 wrote:

ablooblooblooblooo
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
jord
+2,382|6694|The North, beyond the wall.
flew a jet

got locked on entire time for like 2 mins

did full evasive manourvers then decided to attack the other jet

aa got me

died

jets are wank
jord
and whats this no bailed shit about
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6406
cant eject from aircraft?

Last edited by west-phoenix-az (2011-10-07 13:56:32)

https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
jord
yeah you can when its fine but you cant when its about to blow up.

which is kinda pointless because the only reason to bail out of a jet when its not badly damaged is to get into the enemy base but you can't even go in the other teams base as it says out of bounds and you die after 10 seconds.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5805|Catherine Black
I fucking hated in BC2 you could bail out of a vehicle when it was at 0% then you'd have to go kill them with a fucking gun too

so fucking good you have to stay in the vehicle if it's about to explode.

You can bail out down to 1% afaik.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Sturgeon
+488|4957|Flintshire

Roc18 wrote:

The A W S M F O X wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

>Me
>Bad at Video Games

Pick one chief
https://i.imgur.com/coQDD.png
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/so … 176921914/

pro ^
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Brasso
+1,549|6647

rofl
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5053|Massachusetts, USA
I don't understand why the battlelog site isn't working for me.

I have a valid email, it's well past the start of the open beta.

The fuck is with EA.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard