Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...
Next month (october 7th) the war in Afghanistan will have been going on for 10 years. The questions are: was it worth it, what have we learned and is there any hope of the war coming to a satisfactory conclusion for the west?

Two things that make me doubt our successes in the war are:
1. an Afghan voter turnout rate of only 40% in 2010 elections according to an Afghan election commission.
2. this graph

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/79/Coalition_military_casualties_in_afghanistan_by_month.svg/800px-Coalition_military_casualties_in_afghanistan_by_month.svg.png

Last edited by Shocking (2011-09-18 07:16:06)

inane little opines
rdx-fx
+955|6589
  • Removed the Taliban from government
  • Killed Osama bin Hiding
  • Got a ton of live-fire desert training for our military
  • Tested and fielded a bunch of new military equipment suited for post cold war conflicts
  • Revised tactics and equipment from cold war & garrison setup, to modern asymmetric warfare models

Oh, was someone expecting anything to change in Afghanistan?

It's a tribal shithole. 
It's been a tribal shithole for 10,000 years. 
They're proud of always being the same tribal shithole they've been for 10,000 years.
It will continue to be a tribal shithole after the West leaves again.
And, in the distant future, when there are no more tribal shitholes on the planet, Afghanistan will still be a tribal shithole.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6679|Disaster Free Zone

Shocking wrote:

Two things that make me doubt our successes in the war are:
1. an Afghan voter turnout rate of only 40% in 2010 elections according to an Afghan election commission.
Turnout in national lower house elections, 1960–1995
United States     N     18     48%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_turnout

Fair point...
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6470|Kakanien

rdx-fx wrote:

• Tested and fielded a bunch of new military equipment suited for post cold war conflicts
  • Revised tactics and equipment from cold war & garrison setup, to modern asymmetric warfare models
and all of that only for the cost of 14000-34000 dead civilians, 2600 dead coalition soldiers and about 140 billion dollars per year

especially that military training and equipment testing argument is pretty cynical

it seems to me that hunting down al qaida members/leaders could have been done much more effectively and with a lot less human losses by using special forces and drones instead of invading a country

i say gtfo asap, it's a pointless waste of human lives and money
rdx-fx
+955|6589

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Especially that military training and equipment testing argument is pretty cynical

it seems to me that hunting down al qaida members/leaders could have been done much more effectively and with a lot less human losses by using special forces and drones instead of invading a country
Only pretty cynical?

Damn, I was going for weapons grade sarcasm.

We would've had Osama bin Hiding 2 years after 9/11, if the dipshits in the White House hadn't micromanaged the SF team on the ground in Afghanistan.
Had him cornered, on the radio telling his followers to go home, whining on the radio how the 'apostate states have failed us. I have failed you'
Send in the SF, kill him, call it a day?  NooOOOoOOoo... we give a tribal warlord (of questionable allegiance) 24 hours cease fire to go 'negotiate his surrender'.

More like 24 hours to go find an apartment in Pakistan...
rdx-fx
+955|6589
RDX military policy:

If you're going to send in military force, do it properly.
Send in enough force to wipe out the offending military, depose the regime that caused the problem, and go the fuck home afterwards.
Leave the civilians alone.  Don't try to solve their social issues, don't get involved in their politics, don't give them an excuse to blame their bullshit on your army.

1990 -
Kick Saddam out of Kuwait, then kick him out of the Kurdish zones, then kick him out of Baghdad. 
Destroying every last bit of the Republican Guard on the way. 
Fuck Wolf Blitzer crying about the "Highway of Death" - tell him to go have a press conference in one of the Kurdish villages that "Chemical Ali" nerve gassed.
Leave as much of the civilian infrastructure (and population) untouched as possible.
Then leave.
2 months - in, out, done. Let the Iraqis deal with Iraqi politics
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

I remember watching an interview with Pete Blaber (as well as reading his book), where he suggested that the larger infantry units be pulled out and only smaller and more mobile teams be left in country, much like at the very start of the war. As far as I recall, he thought we should stay clear of Afghan politics and just focus on the reason for being there: killing the enemy.
rdx-fx
+955|6589

M.O.A.B wrote:

I remember watching an interview with Pete Blaber (as well as reading his book), where he suggested that the larger infantry units be pulled out and only smaller and more mobile teams be left in country, much like at the very start of the war. As far as I recall, he thought we should stay clear of Afghan politics and just focus on the reason for being there: killing the enemy.
Lily Pad Doctrine: Small regular military bases on/near foreign soil. Self contained, regular troops stay inside the wire for the most part.  Special Operations and drones make excursions outside the wire.  In the event of a large conflict, the base can hold the forward staging area long enough for follow-on regular forces to arrive.

Like an embassy.  With firepower. And a landing strip for C-17s
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

rdx-fx wrote:

Removed the Taliban from government
Temporarily
Killed Osama bin Hiding
In Pakistan. Could have killed him in the first few weeks in Afghanistan - if that had been the plan, which it wasn't.

It's a tribal shithole. 
They're proud of always being the same tribal shithole they've been for 10,000 years.
And, in the distant future, when there are no more tribal shitholes on the planet, Afghanistan will still be a tribal shithole.
So why throw thousands of lives and trillions of dollars at it?
Lily Pad Doctrine: Small regular military bases on/near foreign soil. Self contained, regular troops stay inside the wire for the most part.  Special Operations and drones make excursions outside the wire.  In the event of a large conflict, the base can hold the forward staging area long enough for follow-on regular forces to arrive.

Like an embassy.  With firepower. And a landing strip for C-17s
Didn't work in Vietnam, isn't working in Afghanistan either.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-09-19 01:18:02)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6730|Cambridge, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Isn't happening in Afghanistan.
venom6
Since day One.
+247|6556|Hungary
First Iraq then this. Another war what was lost by the USA and its allies. Even the Soviets failed there!

And how many died there? No matter if soldier or local. Their death was unnecessary!

Last edited by venom6 (2011-09-19 04:04:26)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

M.O.A.B wrote:

The enemy is in Pakistan.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...

rdx-fx wrote:

Oh, was someone expecting anything to change in Afghanistan?

It's a tribal shithole. 
While I agree with what you state the purpose of staying in Afghanistan for as long as the US has was/is to make sure that a terrorist threat will never be able to re-establish itself in that country, in this respect I don't think significant progress has been made. I believe that, as it stands, the moment the US withdraws completely (aimed 2014) the project of stabilizing and/or rebuilding Afghanistan will fail.

So then should a permanent military presence be established in the country?

Oh and the talis are being invited back into the government as per revised COIN strategy.

Last edited by Shocking (2011-09-19 04:48:29)

inane little opines
rdx-fx
+955|6589

Dilbert_X wrote:

The enemy is in Pakistan.
And many other places we consider "allies" (Saudi Arabia...)

Trust me, I know the enemy is in Pakistan.

Do a search on how many times I've mentioned the Pakistani ISI in posts here.
Just search author:rdx-fx and content:ISI

venom6 wrote:

Another war what was lost by the USA and its allies.
Another case of the D.C. politicians sending in the US military without bothering to set a clear strategic or political objective.

How can you win, when you don't have a definition of what "winning" is?
Fuck's sake, Charlie motherfucking Sheen has given more guidance on what "winning" is, than all of the D.C. politicians put together.
rdx-fx
+955|6589

Dilbert_X wrote:

Lilypad doctrine hasn't been tried in Afghanistan or Viet Nam.

Dick "Shotgun Willie" Cheney shitcanned the concept prior to the Iraq & Afghanistan invasions, in favor of "Aw, hell.. send in everybody!"
rdx-fx
+955|6589

Shocking wrote:

While I agree with what you state the purpose of staying in Afghanistan for as long as the US has was/is to make sure that a terrorist threat will never be able to re-establish itself in that country, in this respect I don't think significant progress has been made. I believe that, as it stands, the moment the US withdraws completely (aimed 2014) the project of stabilizing and/or rebuilding Afghanistan will fail.

Oh and the talis are being invited back into the government as per revised COIN strategy.
Trying to insure that a terrorist threat never reestablishes itself is a futile task.
We cannot change their social structure, we're daft to think we can change their politics.

As I stated before, leave the civilians alone to have their culture and politics.
If their government becomes a military threat to the US, we take their military and government out while leaving the civilian infrastructure untouched. 
In, out, done in two months - then leave.
Leave a note on our way out, "Try to elect someone that'll play nicer next time. - Uncle Sam"

Forget this bullshit futile nationbuilding.
They don't want it, they just want to fleece money out of us.
Ali Fucking Babba
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5471|Ventura, California
I agree with all your posts RDX.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6408|'Murka

venom6 wrote:

First Iraq then this. Another war what was lost by the USA and its allies. Even the Soviets failed there!

And how many died there? No matter if soldier or local. Their death was unnecessary!
Afghanistan preceded Iraq.

As rdx has said, nobody has stated what the strategic objectives are...so how can anyone say it's been won OR lost?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...

rdx-fx wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Trying to insure that a terrorist threat never reestablishes itself is a futile task.
We cannot change their social structure, we're daft to think we can change their politics.

As I stated before, leave the civilians alone to have their culture and politics.
If their government becomes a military threat to the US, we take their military and government out while leaving the civilian infrastructure untouched. 
In, out, done in two months - then leave.
Leave a note on our way out, "Try to elect someone that'll play nicer next time. - Uncle Sam"

Forget this bullshit futile nationbuilding.
They don't want it, they just want to fleece money out of us.
Ali Fucking Babba
Basically, the approach to the war in Afghanistan constitutes as a massive waste of time because some of the objectives were unrealistic.

Stating that does however mean you're making a tradeoff. That being, for not having to involve yourself in local politics, the threat that caused the attacks which got you in the country in the first place will not be eliminated and instead be given the opportunity to prepare further attacks (the threat and the local social issues were not unrelated, you adress one but not the other). To complicate matters, because this is an ideological war of sorts, a quick "hit and run" type of strategy may just as well "give them an excuse to blame their bullshit on your army" (as you stated). Arguably that sort of thing will be worse if you're not present than if you were; the forces in the country could use your brief presence to fuel propaganda and justify their radical stances unopposed.

While I did state that what has been done so far in Afgh was not effective (that is, in trying to prevent future terrorist threats from existing in that country), I'm not much of a proponent of a hit and run type of approach. It doesn't concern itself with the root causes of the problem, it may just serve to fan the flames. Further, getting involved in local politics isn't always completely pointless, there are many instances throughout history in which domestic politics were manipulated by foreign powers with succes. In recent history one of these instances would be the 1953 coup in Iran.

Hell, Afghanistan itself was a playground for manipulation by foreign powers for over 20 years prior to the 2001 invasion.

Last edited by Shocking (2011-09-19 12:02:10)

inane little opines
rdx-fx
+955|6589
Cheaper and less bother to just kick the shit out of them when they decide to be a threat.

Should've taken out Saddam in 1990. 
Like we promised the Kurds we were going to, before CNN started crying about the "Highway of Death"

If we take out their entire military and government every time they pose a threat, eventually they'll figure out not to be a threat.

I would rather spend our time and resources doing "nation building" in, say, Detroit.

FUCK AFGHANISTAN.  Fuck Iraq.  Fuck Palestine.  Fuck Iran.  And fuck Pakistan TWICE, just because they deserve it.
Not our job to fix their cultural obsession with Jihad, or their insane belief in a magical sky-daddy, or their nasty tendency to be ruled by psychotic despots.

They want to sell us oil - fine.
They DON'T want to sell us oil - fine.
They want to harbor enemies of the US - we kick the shit out of them, go home.

You want nation building, call the EU or UN.
(Apparently they're more culturally aware than us redneck bible-thumpin' gun-totin' savages in the US)
You want someone's military dismantled, call the US.

82nd Airborne is NOT the Red Cross.
USMC is NOT staffed by Kindergarden teachers and Cultural Attaches

You want nation building, write a check to Halliburton.
rdx-fx
+955|6589

Shocking wrote:

Hell, Afghanistan itself was a playground for manipulation by foreign powers for over 20 years prior to the 2001 invasion.
And it's still a tribal shithole.

Kinda tells you they're happy with their inhospitable little shithole just the way it is.
Leave them to it.

CIA needs to remember the concept of Plausible Deniability.
In other words, do your meddling on your own budget, and if one of your Ivy League college frat boys gets himself fucked - Uncle Sam never heard of him.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...

rdx wrote:

Cheaper and less bother to just kick the shit out of them when they decide to be a threat.

Should've taken out Saddam in 1990.
Like we promised the Kurds we were going to, before CNN started crying about the "Highway of Death"

If we take out their entire military and government every time they pose a threat, eventually they'll figure out not to be a threat.

I would rather spend our time and resources doing "nation building" in, say, Detroit.

FUCK AFGHANISTAN.  Fuck Iraq.  Fuck Palestine.  Fuck Iran.  And fuck Pakistan TWICE, just because they deserve it.
Not our job to fix their cultural obsession with Jihad, or their insane belief in a magical sky-daddy, or their nasty tendency to be ruled by psychotic despots.

They want to sell us oil - fine.
They DON'T want to sell us oil - fine.
They want to harbor enemies of the US - we kick the shit out of them, go home.

You want nation building, call the EU or UN.
(Apparently they're more culturally aware than us redneck bible-thumpin' gun-totin' savages in the US)
You want someone's military dismantled, call the US.

82nd Airborne is NOT the Red Cross.
USMC is NOT staffed by Kindergarden teachers and Cultural Attaches

You want nation building, write a check to Halliburton.
Not nation building per se. In these sort of conflicts I much prefer an approach such as the lily pad doctrine which you quoted or using intelligence services to monitor and/or manipulate the situation from afar. Personally I hold the same beliefs as you do when it comes to using raw military force: it's not the red cross nor is it supposed to govern some far away country.

I simply don't believe that steamrolling the enemy and going home fixes much, if anything. Maybe it would have were this a time before WW2, before the UN and before the possibility of tiny organized groups causing death on a massive scale existing. Though it certainly is cheaper and easier, you subject yourself to a lot of danger by doing half the job.

Last edited by Shocking (2011-09-19 12:40:33)

inane little opines
rdx-fx
+955|6589
Lillypad doctrine to enable quick reaction when needed,
Intelligence agencies actually providing usable intelligence (scrap the CIA, give the funding to the NSA),
Call the US military when a foreign army needs to be disassembled,
then call the UN & Red Cross when you want to do nationbuilding.

If it is in the best interests of the world, to change the culture of a nation, then the world should foot the bill.
Too many things to fix with our own infrastructure - rest of the world can pay for their own infrastructure and military for a while.

Not our job to fix their problems.
It is the job of the US military to kick the shit out of any nation that threatens the US.

I'd rather see a damned base on the moon, instead of another madrassa in Afghanistan paid for by the US taxpayer
Again, I'd rather fix Detroit.  Or rebuild our national manufacturing & transportation infrastructure.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2011-09-19 12:53:52)

rdx-fx
+955|6589
Shocking,

I see your point.
I just don't have any give-a-shit left for the Middle East.

Whole fucking region could be under 100 feet of ocean water, and I wouldn't really care.

They like their pretend sky-daddy myth,
they like having someone to blame their problems on,
they like their psychotic despot rulers,
they absolutely love being pissed off at the jews.

Fuckit.
Leave 'em to it.
Bomb the shit out of them when they get Jihadi-explodey towards us.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2011-09-19 12:59:41)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...
Alright, guess we can just foot this as being a difference in opinion/priorities on what should be done. I'll agree that I'd rather see a moon base than a madrassa though lol.

But why scrap the CIA and fund the NSA instead?
inane little opines

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard