Poll

Have you been invited to Uzique's new hipster forum?

Yes9%9% - 6
No48%48% - 32
I am not a hipster42%42% - 28
Total: 66
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
sign language was made mainstream by the advent of the silent cinema. sorry lads you're both 100 years late.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6667|BC, Canada
Its retro uzi. Nothin is cooler than retro. Not even the first time it came through.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
i know, just look at galt's music room
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6667|BC, Canada
Aint nobody cooler than galt.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5366|London, England

-Whiteroom- wrote:

You are learning, young padawan.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6114|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

one of the great looping paradoxes of this whole internet "fuck hipsters" thing is that it's often the anti-hipster bandwagoners who act all super serious and miserable.
Not being a hipster is a wearing and thankless task.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Which is funny, because he's trying so hard to be a hipster without going the full hipster.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
i think the fact that we're all obsessed with authenticity in some regard signals a severe existentialist crisis in this late postmodernist age

i hope you agree
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6667|BC, Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Which is funny, because he's trying so hard to be a hipster without going the full hipster.
You never go full hipster...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique wrote:

i think the fact that we're all obsessed with authenticity in some regard signals a severe existentialist crisis in this late postmodernist age

i hope you agree
Authenticity in what particularly?

-Whiteroom- wrote:

You never go full hipster...
No-one does, not even hipsters, its why they're full of shit.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6667|BC, Canada
Zing?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique wrote:

i hope you agree
Authenticity in what particularly?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authenticity_(philosophy)
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If you don't have authenticity you don't have anything I guess.

There'll be a reaction against the junk coming out of China badged as corporate product eventually.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6419|'Murka

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Zing?
Tropic Thunder.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

@ socrates quote: At least I didn't google search it. I still find it laughable, no matter who said it. That attitude still exists today.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478

Dilbert_X wrote:

If you don't have authenticity you don't have anything I guess.

There'll be a reaction against the junk coming out of China badged as corporate product eventually.
authenticity is to do with the self, not authenticity in the antique-hunting material-possession is-it-a-counterfeit sense.

basically imo the reason everyone is so obsessed with cliques and group identity and fashion fads and 'hipsters' is because nobody knows how to be anymore in the modern world. bombarded with way too much stuff, in the most general sense of the word. so many things being sold to us, advertisements everywhere, pressures from work/family/friends/school to conform to certain expectations (all becoming ever more niche and specialized) etc.etc. being authentic to your true self in the 21st century is almost impossible because the external world is full of untruth.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I think Dilbert was closer to it, at least for here in New York. 'Authentic' is usually used to describe ethnic crap. 'authentic' Chinese food means the dude cooking the food was born in China, and uses Chinese ingredients, recipes and cooking techniques. No Americanization allowed or it's unauthentic. Same goes for culture crap, it's why retro clothes come back, it's why the original Timex quartz crystal watch is such a sought after item, or old books, or turntables "Because the music was originally recorded with records in mind and I want to hear it in it's original, authentic, state." They're the stamp collectors of another generation.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
yes galt but if you can't see how that behaviour is clearly the individual trying to find a self-identity amongst the polyphony of contemporary culture and fashion, then methinks you're not much philosophically minded. all of those ^ above behaviorisms are the efforts of an individual to find an identity that feels somehow 'true' to him-- all completely and hopelessly mediated by the culture and world he lives in. "hipsters" are just a sub-group of people that try to find identity in retro items, vintage wares, old kitsch, outmoded technology, etc. it's just one of many coping techniques to try and keep a sense of yourself in the modern-day stream of unending bullshit: in this case, cling like a rock to the (supposedly) more concrete past. they're just the other side of the coin to the sub-group of people that find identity in eagerly embracing any new media that has come out: social media whores, apple fanboys, tech geeks, etc.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
here's the passage i've been thinking of... haven't read this since i was like 17. essential reading for confused teens.

J.P. Sartre on "sincerity and bad faith" wrote:

Let us consider this waiter in the cafe. His movement is quick and forward, a little too precise, a little too rapid. He comes toward the patrons with a step a little too quick. He bends forward a little too eagerly; his voice, his eyes express an interest a little too solicitous for the order of the customer. Finally there he returns, trying to imitate in his walk the inflexible stiffness of some kind of automaton while carrying his tray with the recklessness of a tight-rope-walker by putting it in a perpetually unstable, perpetually broken equilibrium which he perpetually re-establishes by a light movement of the arm and hand. All his behavior seems to us a game. He applies himself to chaining his movements as if they were mechanisms, the one regulating the other; his gestures and even his voice seem to be mechanisms; he gives himself the quickness and pitiless rapidity of things. He is playing, he is amusing himself. But what is he playing? We need not watch long before we can explain it: he is playing at being a waiter in a cafe. There is nothing there to surprise us. The game is a kind of marking out and investigation. The child plays with his body in order to explore it, to take inventory of it; the waiter in the cafe plays with his condition in order to realize it. This obligation is not different from that which is imposed on all tradesmen. Their condition is wholly one of ceremony. The public demands of them that they realize it as a ceremony; there is the dance of the grocer, of the tailor, of the auctioneer, by which they endeavor to persuade their clientele that they are nothing but a grocer, an auctioneer, a tailor. A grocer who dreams is offensive to the buyer, because such a grocer is not wholly a grocer. Society demands that he limit himself to his function as a grocer, just as the soldier at attention makes himself into a soldier-thing with a direct regard which does not see at all, which is no longer meant to see, since it is the rule and not the interest of the moment which determines the point he must fix his eyes on (the sight "fixed at ten paces"). There are indeed many precautions to imprison a man in what he is, as if we lived in perpetual fear that he might escape from it, that he might break away and suddenly elude his condition.

In a parallel situation, from within, the waiter in the cafe can not be immediately a cafe waiter in the sense that this inkwell is an inkwell, or the glass is a glass. It is by no means that he can not form reflective judgments or concepts concerning his condition. He knows well what it "means": the obligation of getting up at five o'clock, of sweeping the floor of the shop before the restaurant opens, of starting the coffee pot going, etc. He knows the rights which it allows: the right to the tips, the right to belong to a union, etc. But all these concepts, all these judgments refer to the transcendent. It is a matter of abstract possibilities, of rights and duties conferred on a "person possessing rights." And it is precisely this person who I have to be (if I am the waiter in question) and who I am not. It is not that I do not wish to be this person or that I want this person to be different. But rather there is no common measure between his being and mine. It is a "representation" for others and for myself, which means that I can be he only in representation. But if I represent myself as him, I am not he; I am separated from him as the object from the subject, separated by nothing, but this nothing isolates me from him. I can not be he, I can only play at being him; that is, imagine to myself that I am he. And thereby I affect him with nothingness. In vane do I fulfill the functions of a cafe waiter. I can be he only in the neutralized mode, as the actor is Hamlet, by mechanically making the typical gestures of my state and by aiming at myself as an imaginary cafe waiter through those gestures taken as an "analogue." What I attempt to realize is a being-in-itself of the cafe waiter, as if it were not just in my power to confer their value and their urgency upon my duties and the right of my position, as if it were not my free choice to get up each morning at five o'clock or to remain in bed, even though it meant getting, fired. As if from the very fact that I sustain this role in existence I did not transcend it on every side, as if I did not constitute myself as one beyond my condition. Yet there is no doubt that I am in a sense a cafe waiter -- otherwise could I not just as well call myself a diplomat or a reporter? But if I am one, this can not be in the mode of being-in-itself. I am a waiter in the mode of being what I am not....
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Most of them have the awkwardness of teenagers trying to fit their square ass into the round hole of whatever group they perceive as the one they wish to join. They're not looking to find themselves, they're looking to subsume their identity into a culture group in order to pass off all their decisions. It's what every fad-centric group of people in history has done.

In my own lifetime it's been punks, glam, goth, grunge, hardcore, emo, whatever. Little sub-culture groups that are ultra conservative on the inside because people have attached their identity to the group to such a huge extent that are constantly afraid of being marginalized.

I dunno, I think the whole thing is funny. I couldn't imagine having to go through that awkward phase again, especially since it's all completely pointless. You come out the other side with different friends and an entirely different outlook on life (well, most do, some get 'stuck', nothing as awful as an old hippie). They'll look back in 10 years and laugh, or be embarrassed.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
the thing is, you think you're on the other side of it now... but really, you're just in another phase of representation and performativity. we 'act' a role and personality all of our lives - psychologically this is pretty much a fact. you know that feeling that, no matter how old you are, you can look back at yourself 5 years previously and wince with embarrassment? that's because we're never our true selves. we find it impossible to find. yet of course in every single present moment we think we surely are the sincere, no-bullshit, no-ego real deal. but that's silly thinking. of course we have an ego and of course we're acting in some role, shaped entirely by our external circumstances. we're all, always, trying to fit our "square ass into a round hole". you just get better at accepting the charade as you're older, and more subtle about it. from the demeanor you adopt in the office to deal with colleagues to your jovial family-making act over the xmas holidays, cooking for everyone and playing up to your domestic bliss... is it every really you? nope. that's why i find 30 year olds constantly chiding on this 'hipster' fad such a farcical comedy. most of the adults here are playing fanciful representation games themselves here in d&st, every single day. the only difference is that the hipster isn't so duplicitous about what he's doing.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Speak for yourself. I'm quite happy in my own skin, and have been for many years courtesy of a grumpy former roommate. He asked me why I bent over backwards trying to get people to like me when all it did was allow people to use me. Age 22, advice ignored. Age 23, click. I'm me, take it or leave it, irl and on the internet.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
hindsight is 20/20. say the same thing in 10 years. and even then, there's nothing to say that it isn't just because your ego has settled into its own little bubble. people function on autopilot when no thing or event crops up in life to seriously challenge their identity. maybe yours won't be unsettled again in your lifetime... but that doesn't necessarily mean you're being 'true' to yourself, philosophically (which is a great question). it just means by age 40 or so you've surrounded yourself conservatively with a family, you're entrenched in a career, you buy books and watch films and consume products that compliment or confirm your world view, etc. think of lowing, for example. you construct an ego/identity for yourself and surround yourself with all the comforts and then no big existentialist challenges are ever posed. but are you authentic? that's the question.

of course teenagers are much more clueless and hence much more prone to fads and fleeting fashions. but what's the difference between the teenager trying to be a goth or an emo, and the 30-something middle-management guy trying as hard as possible to pass off an image of affluent yuppie corporatism? hint: none.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
That's the thing, uzi, I don't have an identity. I do whatever I want and don't worry about labels. It's just stuff. I play softball, I don't call myself a softball player or identify as such. I'm an engineer, but I lack the social awkwardness attached to their identity. I was a jock in high school, but had no problem performing in theater.

You seriously have to get over caring about image. It will always make you unhappy.
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6599
This

Uzique wrote:

people function on autopilot when no thing or event crops up in life to seriously challenge their identity.
Leads to this

Jay wrote:

I'm quite happy in my own skin, and have been for many years[...]
Leads to

RDX-fX wrote:

I laugh at the scorn of hipsters
youth cares about fitting into a scene, or a social group. They don't have a completely formed self-identity yet, and are looking for validation.

Maturity is knowing who you are, and being comfortable with it.
Knowing how to sort out the things that matter, from the things that are just passing "shiny things for mongos"

Edit: don't confuse age for maturity.  There are plenty of people stuck in a permanent mental adolescence.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2011-12-27 09:51:47)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard