Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

https://i.imgur.com/dpZbd.jpgJames Richard "Rick" Perry (born March 4, 1950) is the 47th and current Governor of Texas. A Republican, Perry was elected Lieutenant Governor of Texas in 1998 and assumed the governorship in December 2000 when then-governor George W. Bush resigned to become President of the United States.

Poll: Rick Perry Leads GOP Field, 11% Ahead Of Mitt Romney
Texas Governor Rick Perry has been in the race for less than a week, but according to a new poll, he leads the current field of Republican contenders such as Mitt Romney, Michele Bachmann, and Ron Paul to possibly clinch the Republican nomination and face President Barack Obama in the general elections in 2012.

Rasmussen Reports surveyed likely Republican primary votes on Monday night, just days after the Iowa debate on Thursday and two days after the Iowa straw poll that saw Michele Bachmann just edging Ron Paul. The poll comes just two days after Perry officially announced he was running on Saturday.

Rick Perry was asked if he believed in evolution, and his answer was surprising. Not because he does not, in fact believe in evolution (it's just "a theory that's out there"), but because he admitted that the alternative to teaching evolution in schools is essentially religious indoctrination.

In New Hampshire today, a woman coached her child to ask Perry his views on evolution. Here's what he said:
"It's a theory that's out there," Perry told the child. "It's got some gaps in it. In Texas we teach both Creationism and evolution."

The mom is clearly coaching the kid.. and using your kid as a proxy is more than a bit annoying. But anyways.

Gawker wrote:

1) Texas does not, in fact, teach creationism, or anything like it. While the Texas State Board of Education did rather famously mandate in 2009 that its science textbooks include information on "alternatives" to evolution, no textbooks containing those alternatives have actually been approved for use as of yet. In fact, just last month the board voted to approve new science materials that exclusively teach evolution.

Secondly, no one seriously—or openly, at least—advocates the teaching of Creationism in public schools anymore. Aware that Creationism is an avowedly theological and fundamentally unscientific precept, Christianist activists have concocted a pseudo-scientific-sounding "theory" called "Intelligent Design" as a sort of stalking horse to sneak their creation myth into the public education curriculum. Creationism is crude Biblical literalism; intelligent design merely takes into account the glory and complexity of the universe and deduces that something created it. Who? Oh, we don't want to get into teaching religion in public schools—that would unconstitutional!

Since teaching Creationism is an obvious non-starter, Christian activists have devoted a great deal of time, money, and energy into pushing the idea that intelligent design is an actual theory, independent of Creationism, with its own scientific pedigree. A federal district court judge in Pennsylvania dealt that notion a severe blow in 2005 when he found an intelligent design-based curriculum unconstitutional because "the evidence at trial demonstrates that ID is nothing less than the progeny of creationism." Rick Perry just dealt it a potentially more serious blow by admitting that even intelligent design's most vociferous proponents know it's just Creationism dressed up in a lab coat. Back to the drawing board.
It really does make you wonder if he actually buys what he says. Or if he is just pandering to what appears to be his base, Christian fundamentalist.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS
He scares me.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6160|what

When did the Republican party become the party of anti-intellectuals?

And this is the guy seen as crazy:

https://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Huntsman-tweet.gif
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5366|London, England
He's a giant panderer. Just like Obama was in '08, and Bush was in the prior two elections.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry often talks like he’s ready to refight the Alamo—this time against Washington. He rails about the stimulus and the expansion of federal power while flirting with the idea of devolving control of entitlements to the states.

So when Perry officially announced he was throwing in his 40-gallon hat for next year’s Republican presidential nomination, critics were quick to warn of his extremist, radical small-government views. But Perry’s suit-and-tie-Republican record doesn’t match up to his pistol-packing, Texas-sized rhetoric.

Many of the warnings concern Perry’s allegedly extreme federalism. After reading the governor’s book, Fed Up: Our Fight to Save America From Washington, The Washington Post’s Ezra Klein described the governor’s federalism as “radical in scope,” but “not thoughtless.” Mother Jones blogger Kevin Drum wondered whether Perry might be “too radical even for the Tea Party.” After investigating Perry’s positions on entitlements, Newsweek’s Andrew Romano reported that the governor “hints that he would do more to limit the power of the federal government—or at least attempt to do more—than any president since Calvin Coolidge.” At the Guardian, columnist Ana Marie Cox warned that if Perry got his way with federal regulation, “it would be total anarchy: Mad Max meets Dr. Moreau.”

“More than any of his fellow contenders,” Cox wrote, “Perry represents a bruising roll of the dice on America's future.” Is Perry really such an outlier? Not really. While he's frequently willing to stake out heated rhetorical territory, his actual governance is relatively mild in comparison.

Take Perry’s position on the stimulus. In theory, he was vigorously opposed to the program. In practice, however, he was willing to collect. In 2009, he loudly rejected $555 million in federal unemployment aid. “The calls to take the (stimulus) money and sort out the consequences later are quite troubling to me,” he told The Houston Chronicle. Later, in a letter to President Obama, he highlighted his “vocal opposition” to the law, saying it “will burden future generations with unprecedented levels of debt.” In the same letter, however, Perry also agreed to take the stimulus funds, noting his promise to state residents that if a stimulus passed, he “would work to ensure that our citizens receive their fair share.” They got a bundle: In 2010, Perry relied on the $6 billion in federal stimulus funds he accepted to fill in big gaps in the state’s budget.

Indeed, despite his allegedly radical federalism, Perry has been more than happy to take—and seek out—federal handouts throughout his tenure in the governor’s mansion. In 2009, Cato Director of Tax Policy Studies Chris Edward noted that under Perry, Texas has been “an aggressive scavenger of federal grant dollars,” taking hundreds of millions in federal funds for drought assistance, homeland security, and local law enforcement. Does this sound like the record of an unusually anti-federal radical?

Newsweek’s Andrew Romano's description of Perry as a modern day Coolidge came as a result of the governor’s stated interest in devolving federal entitlement programs to the states. But on Medicaid, the major entitlement over which state governments have the most control, Perry’s talk-to-action ratio was familiarly lopsided.

It’s common enough for governors, especially Republicans, to criticize Medicaid’s mass of federal mandates and poor financing structure. But last year, Perry noisily and repeatedly raised the possibility of pulling his state out of the joint federal-state program entirely. “We need to get out of it,” he said of the program. “And with the budget shortfall we’re anticipating, we may have to act this year.”

But action of the sort he threatened was not forthcoming. In Texas’s most recent budget, Perry cut Medicaid provider rates and put off finding funding for an estimated $4.8 billion in expected spending. But the state is still very much enrolled in the program. In the end, reported The Washington Post’s Sarah Kliff, “there’s a pretty wide disconnect between what Perry says he would like to change about Medicaid in Texas and what he’s been able to accomplish.”

So why all the ominous warnings? It may have something to do with the press’s willingness to overinterpret Perry’s remarks. In 2009, for example, CNN posted a story headlined “Texas governor says secession possible.” Similar stories popped up in dozens of other publications; according to Politifact.com, at least 169 major newspaper articles linked Perry with the idea of Texas secession.

But contrary to what even presidential press secretary Jay Carney has since asserted, Perry didn’t actually threaten to pull his state out of the United States. Arguably, he said the opposite: “We’ve got a great union. There is absolutely no reason to dissolve it.” At most, he melodramatically referenced an old—and incorrect—understanding that Texas maintains a special right to leave the union at any time. That's typical for Perry, whose supposed extremism often looks a lot like a theatrical affectation—part practiced Texas swagger, part savvy political positioning.

Whatever the reason, though, Perry’s critics appear all too willing to believe that the gun-toting Texas governor—yes, he carries a hollow-point packed, laser-sight pistol with him, even while jogging—represents some unprecedented form of radicalism. Their worry seems to be that he’s ready to unload some of his deadly ammo into cherished federal programs from a White House perch. But if his record is any indication, Perry specializes more in rhetorical warning shots than serious small-government salvos.
http://reason.com/archives/2011/08/19/r … ial-extrem
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX
lol Texas
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6418|'Murka

That article is not at all enlightening, if you've listened to what he's said. He's said that state and local governments are best postured to most effectively spend federal funding, rather than taking a peanut butter approach nation-wide. That's exactly what's portrayed in the article. He never said the federal government should go away.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

I trust that some scientists do exaggerate figures on the human impact of global warming for money. That doesn't mean that I completely discount human impact on the environment, or that I'd want a president to wave his arm and give heavy industry the go-ahead to build hazardous, unclean facilities, billow toxins into our atmosphere and pour mercury into our rivers.

I don't see why scientists being right, wrong or lying about global warming should affect anyone's desire to, where possible, drive cleaner automobiles.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6545|Long Island, New York
I think Perry's suffering from the "new, shiny toy" syndrome where he gets this huge poll boost right after he announces his long awaited run, but will eventually be picked apart to death due to his religious standpoints. There's Bush born again-religious, there's Obama I have a whacky pastor religious, and then there's Perry I hold prayer sessions at a fucking football stadium-religious.

It really is a shame that the media has forced Ron Paul and Jon Huntsman, probably the two best candidates for the job, completely out of contention months before the Iowa Caucuses even begin.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6508|so randum
why are politicians never normal people
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6508|so randum
well i mean 'potential/actual presidents/prime ministers' really
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6476

FatherTed wrote:

why are politicians never normal people
Perry is close enough to normal by Texas standards.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6508|so randum
oh
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6418|'Murka

Poseidon wrote:

I think Perry's suffering from the "new, shiny toy" syndrome where he gets this huge poll boost right after he announces his long awaited run, but will eventually be picked apart to death due to his religious standpoints. There's Bush born again-religious, there's Obama I have a whacky pastor religious, and then there's Perry I hold prayer sessions at a fucking football stadium-religious.

It really is a shame that the media has forced Ron Paul and Jon Huntsman, probably the two best candidates for the job, completely out of contention months before the Iowa Caucuses even begin.
Same thing happened to Thompson last time. Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen to Perry this time.

I'm willing to bet Romney will be the candidate in the end, with someone more conservative as the VP candidate (not Perry).
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6505

Poseidon wrote:

I think Perry's suffering from the "new, shiny toy" syndrome
what makes you say that?

that he started out a Democrat?
that he became a Republican?
that he's now a teabagger darling?

he had a good week. Huntsman had more substance, Palin made more money. i like the fact that Rove is pushing Palin to get off the fence, either split the crazy right rail vote or detract from teabaggers. Romney should bronze the last Gallup, it may be the last with his name @ the top.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6160|what

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I trust that some scientists do exaggerate figures on the human impact of global warming for money. That doesn't mean that I completely discount human impact on the environment, or that I'd want a president to wave his arm and give heavy industry the go-ahead to build hazardous, unclean facilities, billow toxins into our atmosphere and pour mercury into our rivers.

I don't see why scientists being right, wrong or lying about global warming should affect anyone's desire to, where possible, drive cleaner automobiles.
I can't believe the attacks the Republicans are throwing towards the EPA. Rick Perry has described it as an organization bent on "job-killing over-regulation".

Like clean water should be second place because you can save money by dumping chemicals into drain water.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I can't believe the attacks the Republicans are throwing towards the EPA. Rick Perry has described it as an organization bent on "job-killing over-regulation".

Like clean water should be second place because you can save money by dumping chemicals into drain water.
No, it has to do with the end-run that the Obama administration is trying to do around Congress in order to push the greenie anti-carbon agenda. Cap and Trade failed so they've tried to do it via the bureaucracy.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6160|what

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

No, it has to do with the end-run that the Obama administration is trying to do around Congress in order to push the greenie anti-carbon agenda. Cap and Trade failed so they've tried to do it via the bureaucracy.
The greenie anti-carbon agenda, as in the agenda that 98% of scientists agree with? That the same agenda he is pushing? The horror!

And even if the EPA is doing it's job a little more vigorously since it is under a Democrat Pres/Senate, it does not mean you have to destroy the whole organization, as a number of Repub candidates have said they would do.

Who needs clean air and water, though, right?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

The greenie anti-carbon agenda, as in the agenda that 98% of scientists agree with? That the same agenda he is pushing? The horror!

And even if the EPA is doing it's job a little more vigorously since it is under a Democrat Pres/Senate, it does not mean you have to destroy the whole organization, as a number of Repub candidates have said they would do.

Who needs clean air and water, though, right?
98%? Maybe 98% of the scientists that contribute to the news feed you read. I've got news for you AR, I've now had quite a number of years exposure to scientists, and they tend to either be apolitical (as in they don't give a shit), or they lean libertarian/conservative. The only liberal scientists I've met have gone into the field with an agenda in place already.

Time marches on AR, the climate has changed continuously throughout human history. What the activists want is essentially to lock the climate in stasis because they've chosen the current point in history as the one that they like the most (because they know no other). What hubris! Look, I'm not a global warming denier, I just laugh at the End Is Nigh crowd. They're no different than the Christians praying for the rapture in their lifetime. They seek purpose, and to have their opinions validated, even if it means destroying the human race in the process.

I'm all for science, and scientifically determining the most likely outcome for events as they may happen. But the people on the political left take the worst case scenario, state it as fact, and then use it to demand wealth redistribution. They have zero credibility because of this.

Last edited by Jay (2011-08-22 21:16:56)

-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
In fact, I would rather listen to shifty drone on about ejection ports than to listen to any lefty when it comes to science. These are the same people that decry the horrors of genetically engineered crops, as if they are any different than running through a thousand generations and selectively breeding certain traits into a crop. Any change at all is bad. In fact, wilderness is the ideal. Please. They spit in the face of science as often as they can, they just choose to use it, badly, when they can use it to push their goals. Again, no different than the religious.
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6160|what

Jay wrote:

98%? Maybe 98% of the scientists that contribute to the news feed you read.

Time marches on AR, the climate has changed continuously throughout human history. What the activists want is essentially to lock the climate in stasis because they've chosen the current point in history as the one that they like the most (because they know no other). What hubris! Look, I'm not a global warming denier, I just laugh at the End Is Nigh crowd. They're no different than the Christians praying for the rapture in their lifetime. They seek purpose, and to have their opinions validated, even if it means destroying the human race in the process.

I'm all for science, and scientifically determining the most likely outcome for events as they may happen. But the people on the political left take the worst case scenario, state it as fact, and then use it to demand wealth redistribution. They have zero credibility because of this.
98% +/- a few percent is the widely reported claim by nearly all studies and news feeds. Here, knock yourself out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific … ate_change

Maybe FoxNews will tell you it's what... only the money grabbing scientists who believe in climate change? That peer-review process is corrupted by greenies? Honestly, you should avoid the propaganda news and look at actual scientific journals. You might learn something.

"Time marches on, the climate has changed continuously throughout human history." is no reason to shut down the EPA claiming that it is job killing.

If you want to see job killing, look at what an environmental disaster will do to an economy. Have a look at what the state of Florida suffered from the BP oil spill and tell me that envioronmental regulations against polluters is job killing.

Air, land and sea pollution can kill jobs more than businesses having to follow regulations will.

What number of scientists do you read believe in climate change?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Believing in climate change has nothing to do with believing in the green agenda. Stop being obtuse.
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6160|what

I find it amusing that you equate scientists who support climate change as some left wing conspiracy players in some evil plot to redistribute wealth. You really have been watching too many fox news opinion pieces, haven't you?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS
He hasn't?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

I find it amusing that you equate scientists who support climate change as some left wing conspiracy players in some evil plot to redistribute wealth. You really have been watching too many fox news opinion pieces, haven't you?

AussieReaper wrote:

The greenie anti-carbon agenda, as in the agenda that 98% of scientists agree with?
Are you purposely being stupid? There's a vast gulf between thinking something is occurring and having a consensus on what needs to be done about it. Scientists are numbers people. They tend to be libertarian/conservative in their views because logic trumps emotion. Because of this, there are quite a number of people in the science field (like I am, what do you do again?) that are irate about science being hijacked for political purposes. As dense as lowing is, I think he might be more intelligent than you.
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6160|what

Spark wrote:

He hasn't?
"I've now had quite a number of years exposure to scientists, and they tend to either be apolitical (as in they don't give a shit), or they lean libertarian/conservative. The only liberal scientists I've met have gone into the field with an agenda in place already."

Yeah, he thinks those liberal scientists have an "agenda" of, wait for it - wealth distribution.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard