DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6679|Disaster Free Zone

Cybargs wrote:

aussies in general have pretty shit math and I know you can choose not to do a certain subject field (math, science, history) after year 10 lol.
The only subject you have to do after year 10 is English.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
lawyer fucked me

i don't get people that blame teachers. we've all had bad ones. make do. early education is as much about cynically jumping through hoops (even if they are constructed from bullshit and you can smell it on your gymnastic passage through) as being 'gifted and talented'.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
I still don't know how to do algebra LEWL!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
where would you even use it in your life? the betting office?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
i dont know. I used to ask my teachers because I'm a "why?" kinda guy.

They said firemen need it.

I don't know...
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Jay wrote:

Here, and these are easy questions...

http://www.eitexam.com/QuickTest/Quiz11.asp
At his current rate at Kumon, my 13 year old can do those in about a year.

And my six year old's favorite subject is math.  Yay for Asians.

Math/Science isn't difficult.  You just need a solid foundation.  For me, my father with his background in Physics and Mechanical Engineering.  I am using my Computer Science and Engineering background to then help my kids on their studies.  The father of one of my son's friends has already told his son if he needs help in math, he can't go to him anymore.  He'll have to ask for help from my son.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6737|Toronto | Canada

when you learn physics/engineering in the states do you use the archaic imperial system? or do you actually use metric like the rest of the sane world?  id imagine using imperial would add a few unnecessary steps to every problem
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Winston_Churchill wrote:

when you learn physics/engineering in the states do you use the archaic imperial system? or do you actually use metric like the rest of the sane world?  id imagine using imperial would add a few unnecessary steps to every problem
Both, but metrics is definitely more common now.  "Dad, I need a ruler with metrics".  Yeah, we still have rulers that are imperial only.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

Winston_Churchill wrote:

All science is taught in metric.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Stimey
­
+786|6118|Ontario | Canada
Thank god someone got their head out of their ass.
­
­
­
­
­
­
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Jay wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

All science is taught in metric.

Stimey wrote:

Thank god someone got their head out of their ass.
But we still use pounds and inches in medicine.  In the scientific community, yes, but to patients, it's a mixed bag.  And in earth sciences, Acreage and cubic-feet are still used.

wiki:
Power per unit length of a nuclear reactor fuel rod: kilowatts per foot
Federal automobile exhaust emission standards: grams per mile
Caffeine in beverages: milligrams per ounce
Running load limits specified in Boeing airplane flight manuals: kilograms per inch.

/facepalm
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Everything I was taught was in metric, then I got out into the real world and everything was Imperial units. Started talking about kilograms and meters and the union workers gave me the most condescending looks possible. I had to relearn "American units".
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6665

Ask the typical "American" what a hectare is.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

Ask the typical "American" what a hectare is.
I still have nfc what a 'stone' is.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
a stone is 14 pounds, silly
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Why would you use such an odd unit?
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
it wasn't odd back when it was all we could measure and weigh with. it was functional.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America
I know what a stone is. Like a fathom, just something you hear and remember. Also, I weigh 10 stone, so there's that. Just as well, my car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Uzique wrote:

lawyer fucked me

i don't get people that blame teachers. we've all had bad ones. make do. early education is as much about cynically jumping through hoops (even if they are constructed from bullshit and you can smell it on your gymnastic passage through) as being 'gifted and talented'.
When your teacher has extreme mood swings and you're stuck with her for the whole year... yeah... parents try to get rid of her for years and my friends mom went in to complain, his grades were much lower after that. school director was a piece of shit. remember that thing about small schools i told you about? exact case, administration is a pos and fucks teachers and students over.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS

DrunkFace wrote:

Spark wrote:

Differentiation is taught at Year 11 level here. My view is that it should be taught at a minimum to advanced students at Year 8/9.

It's really not that hard. And it makes your algebra skills razor sharp. Kill two birds with one stone and all that jazz.
I was taught differentiation in year 9.
Good, but that's very much non-standard.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Here in New York, they teach Geometry in 9th, Algebra in 10th (or vice versa, I don't remember exactly), Trigonometry in 11th and Pre-Calculus in senior year. The advanced students start with the 10th grade course in 9th and finish up with the equivalent to Calculus I.
I did geometry in 5th grade, algebra in 6th grade, trignometry in 8th grade and calculus started in 10th grade.

At no point did I learn why anyone would persist with the Imperial system.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-08-09 02:21:52)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard