Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4938|Dundee, Scotland.
At least 84 people died when a gunman opened fire at an island youth camp in Norway, hours after a deadly bombing in the capital, Oslo, police say.

Police have charged a 32-year-old Norwegian man over both attacks.

The man dressed as a police officer was arrested on tiny Utoeya island after an hour-long shooting spree. The search for other possible victims continues.

The Oslo bombing killed at least seven. Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said the attacks were "like a nightmare".

Mr Stoltenberg, whose offices were among those badly hit by the blast, described the attacks as a national tragedy.

"Never since the Second World War has our country been hit by a crime on this scale," he told a news conference in Oslo.

He added that he was due to have been on Utoeya - "a youth paradise turned into a hell" - a few hours after the attack took place. Many others were injured there as well as those who died.
Continue reading the main story
At the scene
Richard Galpin
BBC News, near Utoeya

This whole area remains sealed off by the police. In a hotel a few hundreds yards away families and survivors are being reunited.

A search is going on not just on the island itself, but also in the waters around it because a lot of people tried to escape by jumping in the water and trying to swim away. Even as they did that, eyewitnesses say, the gunmen opened fire on them.

The chatter now is that it took the police an hour, if not an hour and a half, to actually get to the island. Of course that gave the gunman so much time to kill so many people. We know he was armed with some kind of automatic weapon.

It's obviously quite an isolated area - it took us about an hour to get from Oslo to here. Also crucially, the police were throwing all their resources at the huge bomb attack which had just taken place in the centre of Oslo.

But still, the question will be asked: Were there not police nearer to this area who could have moved in much more quickly?
In pictures: Attacks shock Norway

Mr Stoltenberg said civil servants were among the dead in Oslo and he knew some of those killed. "Beyond that I cannot give further details while the police carry out their investigation."

He said it was too early too comment on a possible motive for the attacks. No group has said it carried them out.

The suspect is reported by local media to have had links with right-wing extremists. He has been named as Anders Behring Breivik. Police searched his Oslo apartment overnight.

The BBC's Richard Galpin, near the island, says that Norway has had problems with neo-Nazi groups in the past but the assumption was that such groups had been largely eliminated and did not pose a significant threat.

Police say they are investigating whether the attacks were the work of one man or whether he had help.

"At Utoeya, the water is still being searched for more victims," deputy police chief Roger Andresen told reporters.

"We have no more information than... what has been found on [his] own websites, which is that it goes towards the right and that it is, so to speak, Christian fundamentalist."
Jesus Christ, I knew someone had shot at people, but didn't realise the extent of it until this morning. Holy shit
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Currently being discussed in the D&ST chat thread, Camm
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Jens will give you the low-down in DST thread but it's not like it doesn't deserve it's own...
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5931|Places 'n such

Camm wrote:

"We have no more information than... what has been found on [his] own websites, which is that it goes towards the right and that it is, so to speak, Christian fundamentalist."
Religion of peace.

Last edited by presidentsheep (2011-07-23 03:11:02)

I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

presidentsheep wrote:

Camm wrote:

Religion of peace.
just because he is a religious nut, does not mean he did this in the name of Jesus.
Sturgeon
+488|4911|Flintshire

lowing wrote:

just because he is a religious nut, does not mean he did this in the name of Jesus.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440

lowing wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

Camm wrote:

Religion of peace.
but islamic nuts act in hte name of mohammad, right? looool lets not even get into this one.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

Uzique wrote:

lowing wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

Religion of peace.
but islamic nuts act in hte name of mohammad, right? looool lets not even get into this one.
Umm when they scream religious banter during their attacks, and claim it is in the name of Islam, ya.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5931|Places 'n such
I was just seeing if I could turn this into the whole islam argument in less than a page.
Gun rights seemed the too obvious and easy one.

edit: seems I may have succeeded.

Last edited by presidentsheep (2011-07-23 04:23:56)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA
Don't forget, THEY are the ones telling us it is in the name of Islam, not me.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS

presidentsheep wrote:

I was just seeing if I could turn this into the whole islam argument in less than a page.

Less than a page? We didn't even make it to double figures.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

presidentsheep wrote:

please note, I am not the one who mentioned Islam.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440

lowing wrote:

Uzique wrote:

lowing wrote:

Umm when they scream religious banter during their attacks, and claim it is in the name of Islam, ya.
you do realize that most of european ultra-nationalism has strong christian white-power vibes, right? or will you conveniently ignore that part.

you can guarantee 99% that european white-nationalists will be motivated by some christian-racial driven hatred about their nation's immigration status, etc.

anyway i must say that my singular impression from this whole event is pretty staggering disbelief that ONE guy can carry all of this out. (multiple?) bomb attacks in the capital, a massacre at a political rally, etc.? this makes virginia tech look amateur.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Uzique wrote:

anyway i must say that my singular impression from this whole event is pretty staggering disbelief that ONE guy can carry all of this out. (multiple?) bomb attacks in the capital, a massacre at a political rally, etc.? this makes virginia tech look amateur.
That's what is amazing to me.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
like, he rigged bombs, carbombs, orchestrated a perfectly timed and completely un-noticed (intelligence and public suspicion wise) terrorist attack, by all accounts just as 'successful' as any AQ or specially-trained terrorist cell attack... and then went on a gun killing spree with more kills than pretty much any other in recent history? admittedly killing children is of course absolutely atrocious, but just on the face of sheer statistics and organisation alone, this guy has been scarily effective.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440

lowing wrote:

Andersen said the suspect also posted on websites with Christian fundamentalist tendencies
shut the fuck up lowing
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5931|Places 'n such
I still believe it was only one guy, people who knew him say he turned to ultra-nationalism in his 20s so he could have been planning this for years.
The dressing as a police officer must have taken organisation, this doesn't seem a spur of the moment type thing.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

Uzique wrote:

lowing wrote:

Uzique wrote:

you do realize that most of european ultra-nationalism has strong christian white-power vibes, right? or will you conveniently ignore that part.

you can guarantee 99% that european white-nationalists will be motivated by some christian-racial driven hatred about their nation's immigration status, etc.

Nope I don't ignore that, when they do something in the name of Jesus or Christianity and not white power, let me know.

Why is that so hard to believe when you have a govt. that has taken your ability away to defend yourself? 84 dead is easy when you are the only one with a gun.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

Uzique wrote:

lowing wrote:

Andersen said the suspect also posted on websites with Christian fundamentalist tendencies
shut the fuck up lowing
I don't care what he posted, that does not mean what he did had anything to do with his religious beliefs
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
hey lowing, he went to a holiday camp and shot children. would you prefer europe to have gun laws so that kids are allowed to carry guns for self-defence? does america allow adults to carry weapons at children's summer camp, for 'protection' and the 'upholding of personal freedom'? no? okay then. shut the fuck up and stop turning this into some 'europe vs america' bullshit with your ignorance.

p.s. to your first statement, here's the statement of the police chief that has the guy in custody

shut the fuck up you have been silenced.
Spark
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS

Kmar wrote:

Uzique wrote:

That's what is amazing to me.
Another bloke has now been arrested apparently.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440

lowing wrote:

Uzique wrote:

lowing wrote:

shut the fuck up lowing
I don't care what he posted, that does not mean what he did had anything to do with his religious beliefs
so why is it that muslim extremists that post on islamic terror websites with anti-west hate aren't just crazy, insane and infirm nutjobs when they commit attacks? if there's no link between a christian posting fundamentalist hatred on the internet and his attacks the next day, why does it incriminate a muslim? why aren't the muslim extremists just nutjobs - a screw loose in the head?

you are so fucking OBTUSE it is unbelievable. some day you will be smacked out of your ignorance and will probably put a bullet in your head, the lifelong fucking idiocy being such a shock.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5931|Places 'n such
Maybe I was wrong then. Seems like this could all be done by one person given a large amount of time though.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

Uzique wrote:

lowing wrote:

Uzique wrote:

lowing wrote:

shut the fuck up lowing
so why is it that muslim extremists that post on islamic terror websites with anti-west hate aren't just crazy, insane and infirm nutjobs when they commit attacks? if there's no link between a christian posting fundamentalist hatred on the internet and his attacks the next day, why does it incriminate a muslim? why aren't the muslim extremists just nutjobs - a screw loose in the head?

you are so fucking OBTUSE it is unbelievable. some day you will be smacked out of your ignorance and will probably put a bullet in your head, the lifelong fucking idiocy being such a shock.
because they tell you WHY they attacked, and Islam is their reason... When this guy states he killed these people in the name of CHristianity or Jesus, I will concede.
Spark
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS

Uzique wrote:

lowing wrote:

Uzique wrote:

lowing wrote:

shut the fuck up lowing

uzique rant, best rant.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard