Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6116|eXtreme to the maX
Name a spinoff and we'll see.

Teflon and microchips are frequently claimed, for example.
In fact neither has anything whatever to do with NASA.

'Advanced Plastics' - There are so many plastics developed by so many companies, so many are similar, often developments of other plastics and interchangeable in practice that for NASA to be claiming ownership is bizarre.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-07-17 07:04:54)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5188|Sydney
Well that's a place to start, teflon and microchips.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Teflon - Created by Dupont in 1938

Microchips:

Transistor - Patented by a Canadian in 1925, patented in parallel by a German in 1934, developed further at Bell labs from 1947 onwards.

Integrated Circuits - Patented by a German in 1949, conceived in parallel by a Brit around the same time, developed further by Texas Instruments in the 50s.

Now tell me what this has to do with NASA, which didn't even exist before 1957.

NASA's problem is they need to justify their existence, so they claim great benefits for the money spent, often from things they had nothing to do with.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-07-17 07:31:25)

Jaekus
+957|5188|Sydney
Satellite dishes?
X-Ray imaging?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5269|foggy bottom
Satellite dishes?
X-Ray imaging?
Tu Stultus Es
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6747|Oxferd Ohire
memory foam?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
eleven bravo
+1,399|5269|foggy bottom
fuckin rockets to jupiter?
Tu Stultus Es
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6421|'Murka

So let's see if I've got this: Dilbert demands Kmar provide hard data showing a positive ROI for NASA. Kmar provides it--in spades. Dilbert counters with a hypothetical argument about those same NASA-derived technologies possibly being created without NASA's help. He uses as examples the initial creation of Teflon and integrated circuits, ignoring any advances in those same technologies or applications thereof by NASA (likely the reference to them previously) as his sole source for this hypothetical argument to counter Kmar's avalanche of data supporting his own position.

Does that about summarize it thus far?

Looks like someone needs to go back under his bridge, tbh.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5247|Cleveland, Ohio
FEOS...he needs the bubbalo treatment tbh
Jaekus
+957|5188|Sydney

FEOS wrote:

So let's see if I've got this: Dilbert demands Kmar provide hard data showing a positive ROI for NASA. Kmar provides it--in spades. Dilbert counters with a hypothetical argument about those same NASA-derived technologies possibly being created without NASA's help. He uses as examples the initial creation of Teflon and integrated circuits, ignoring any advances in those same technologies or applications thereof by NASA (likely the reference to them previously) as his sole source for this hypothetical argument to counter Kmar's avalanche of data supporting his own position.

Well, he's sort of addressed two technologies. 25,000 - 30,000 to go...
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6747|Oxferd Ohire
ill be looking forward to that dil
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

Not sure really, its impossible to say if those technologies would have been developed without NASA being involved.

Very often technology follows complex pathways, often parallel, no one person or organisation can really claim the full credit.

As noted previously, many of the claimed spinoffs on Kmar's list are so broad as to be meaningless.
Many of the inventions attributed to NASA in fact have nothing to do with them, the same goes for Bell Labs.
Whether NASA really gives value for money I very much doubt.
Like I said expediency is important when developing leading edge technology. I've more than sufficiently given evidence of tangible value for the money. If you're interested you can trace the expicit connections between the spinoff's and their everyday practicile use.
The Digital Cardiac Imaging (DCI) System answers this demand by incorporating image processing technology first developed for NASA's Earth remote sensing satellites. Designed by Philips Medical Systems International, The Netherlands, and marketed in the U.S. by Philips Medical Systems North America Company, Shelton, Connecticut, the DCI offers much sharper real-time images. It is the most widely used digital cardiac imaging system, according to the manufacturer, with more than 300 units in operation worldwide, including over 100 in the U.S.

The Philips system gives the cardiologist direct control of "roadmapping," in which freeze-frame images of a blood vessel section aid in guiding the catheter. Using a cordless control unit such as a remote TV channel selector, the cardiologist can manipulate images to make immediate assessments, compare live x-ray and road map images by placing them side-by-.side on monitor .screens, or compare pre- and post-procedure conditions. The additional information allows the doctor to get into and out of the heart more quickly, minimizing trauma.

The image processing technology employed by the DCI originated some 15 years ago at International Imaging Systems (I2S), Milpitas, California. 12S pioneered optical, analog, and digital image processing equipment for NASA's Earth resources survey spacecraft, exemplified by the Landsat satellite family. In the early 1980s, 12S responded to emerging interest within the medical industry for such applications as ultrasound, computer-aided tomography (CT), and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) body scanners. I2S supplied medical equipment firms with image processing hardware and software identical to that used by NASA. Subsequently, I2S broadened its market and developed application-specific products for its industrial clients, including a high-performance processor for Philips Medical's DCI system.

Miniaturized space technology detects a broad range of spontaneous heart arrhythmias

Sudden cardiac death (SCD) strikes nearly half a million Americans each year. Eighty percent die before medical help arrives and those who survive face a two-year recurrence rate that may be a as high as 55 percent. For many potential victims, however, the Automatic Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator, or AICD* (shown at right) offers new hope: it can reduce the two-year SCD mortality rate to less than three percent.

The AICD incorporates spacebased miniaturized electronics to detect a broad range of spontaneous heart arrhythmias, including those caused by ventricular fibrillation, during which the heart loses its ability to pump blood, causing death or brain damage in minutes.

The AICD pulse generator was developed in the early 197Os by Intec Systems Inc. and Medrad Inc., Pittsburgh, PA, in conjunction with researchers at Sinai Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland. NASA funded development of an AICD recording system and an independent design review of the system, both conducted by the Applied Physics Laboratory of Johns Hopkins University, Howard County, Maryland. The first model was successfully implanted in a dog in 1976 and, after 12 years and more than $4 million in research, the device was implanted in a 57-year-old woman at Johns Hopkins Hospital on February 4, 198O. Clinical studies ensued and a grant from NASA enabled Intec Systems and the Applied Physics Laboratory to pursue development of more advanced models.

The AICD is manufactured by Cardiac Pacemakers, Inc., St. Paul, Minnesota, a subsidiary of Eli Lilly and Company, which purchased Intec Systems in 1985. CPI was the first company to receive FDA approval for an implantable defibrillator and continues to work to make this lifesaving technology available to a greater number of patients.

Adopting infrared sensor technology developed for space missions,the Diatek Corporation of San Diego, Calif., produced an aural thermometer that gauges body temperature in two seconds or less. Accurate to within two-tenths of a degree, the Model 7OOO thermometer measures heat emitted from the patient's tympanic membrane, or eardrum.
We all know that you're not really interested though. You're just trying to get out of the corner you've backed yourself in to.

There's also the intangibles and not-so-immediates which are even potentially more valuable if we continue our quest to explore our universe.

Kmar wrote:

... mined for hundreds of trillions of dollars in return. "In fact, all the gold, cobalt, iron, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, osmium, palladium, platinum, rhenium, rhodium and ruthenium that we now mine from the Earth's crust, and that are essential for our economic and technological development, came originally from the rain of asteroids that hit the Earth after the crust cooled.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

That wasn't the question.
The question was whether money 'invested' in NASA could be better invested elsewhere, all we have is the figures for NASA, no comparisons.
Really? That's ALL we have? There's no example of wasted government spending?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

Not really, I asked for proof that it made more sense to give money to NASA than giving to anyone else, say the military who develop a lot of technology, universities, tech companies and so on.

A comparative study, and one more recent than 1976.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6742|St. Andrews / Oslo

I can understand the republicans' (political) motivation for making life difficult for the democrats, but would the voters not see this at all? Do they not see that the Republicans are risking sending the country into a debt crisis for the sake of standing stronger come election day?

I really haven't looked into this a lot, but from what I've read that's what it looks like to me.. Fair enough, Obamacare wasn't great, but surely blocking the president's attempts at damage-limitation is worse?

If the Republicans don't budge, and the Democrats show a will to cooperate, you'd think this could put the Republicans in a bad light..?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jenspm wrote:

If the Republicans don't budge, and the Democrats show a will to cooperate, you'd think this could put the Republicans in a bad light..?
I suspect they misunderestimate the intelligence of the average voter.

Then again, maybe not.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EzpXp9BJPrQ/S9ZB7ylGSwI/AAAAAAAABEU/_bsCyqdZ-AE/s400/Black%2BTea%2BPartier.jpg

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-07-18 03:08:01)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Not really, I asked for proof that it made more sense to give money to NASA than giving to anyone else, say the military who develop a lot of technology, universities, tech companies and so on.

A comparative study, and one more recent than 1976.
This is what you said.

Dilbert_X wrote:

The net financial benefits are unknown and unquantifiable.
The 1976 study (<-should read) was backed by another study 13 years later.
It's clear that you're not reading my entire responses. Some of your statements have already been addressed. This is the second time you've made that mistake.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Fine, more recent than 1976+13= 1989. Thats 22 years ago.

So how much return is the US taxpayer getting from a Dutch company using NASA technology?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-07-18 03:09:41)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

I suspect they misunderestimate the intelligence of the average voter.

Then again, maybe not.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_EzpXp9BJPrQ/S … artier.jpg
I can see why Education and Science is on the chopping block. Generally speaking, if you keep people in the dark and it's easier to rule.
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas … f-gravity/
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Kmar wrote:

This is what you said.

Dilbert_X wrote:

The net financial benefits are unknown and unquantifiable.
The 1976 study (<-should read) was backed by another study 13 years later.
It's clear that you're not reading my entire responses. Some of your statements have already been addressed. This is the second time you've made that mistake.
If you look three posts above that you'll see I previously said:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Sorry, you need to provide some figures if you're going to say giving money to NASA provides better cost-benefit than, say, increasing R+D tax credits to technology companies or spending on nuts and bolts military technology.
Your spamming of snippets of technology and decades old studies aren't getting you there.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-07-18 03:13:41)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

Fine, more recent than 1976+13= 1989. Thats 22 years ago.

So how much return is the US taxpayer getting from a Dutch company using NASA technology?
Those studies looked at the philosophical economic model which has not changed, except for the fact we are actually investing relatively less then we have in the past. In other words they are still relevant. All royalties on patents and licenses currently go directly to the U.S. Treasury, not back to NASA. I've provided much more substance for my position than you have. NASA is always under the microscope, being examined for cost/benefits. Always. Very few Americans are aware at how little we spend on space exploration. There was a study done which asked what people thought we invested in to NASA and the average person said 24%.
we asked respondents what percentage of the national budget is allocated to NASA and to the Department of Defense, the Department of Education, the Department of Agriculture, and the Department of Health and Human Services, among other agencies. NASA’s allocation, on average, was estimated to be approximately 24% of the national budget (the NASA allocation in 2007 was approximately 0.58% of the budget.) The next highest over-estimate was for the Department of Defense, which received approximately 21% of the budget in 2007 and was estimated on average to receive approximately 33%.

In other words, respondents believed NASA’s budget approaches that of the Department of Defense, which receives almost 38 times more money (see “Putting NASA’s budget in perspective”, The Space Review, July 2, 2007). Once people were informed of the actual allocations, they were almost uniformly surprised.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FEOS
+1,182|6421|'Murka

Jenspm wrote:

I can understand the republicans' (political) motivation for making life difficult for the democrats, but would the voters not see this at all? Do they not see that the Republicans are risking sending the country into a debt crisis for the sake of standing stronger come election day?

I really haven't looked into this a lot, but from what I've read that's what it looks like to me.. Fair enough, Obamacare wasn't great, but surely blocking the president's attempts at damage-limitation is worse?

Not according to recent polling. Voters are 2-1 against raising the debt limit, with 1/3 unsure. That would be 2-1 in favor of the Republicans' position.

The Republicans are open to an increase in the debt limit, so long as it is accompanied by a dollar-for-dollar decrease in spending. The Democrats won't agree to that, even though spending is what got us into this mess to begin with. We're spending too much. The Republicans want to spend less, the Democrats don't. Pretty sure that won't play well on election day, either.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Not raising the debt limit would have horrible consequences simply as a message to creditors. We should have been taking this on before we got in to this position.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jaekus
+957|5188|Sydney
Again, I know it's sounds ridiculously oversimplified, but surely the solution is to simultaneously cut spending AND raise taxes? And be intelligent about it too.
FEOS
+1,182|6421|'Murka

Jaekus wrote:

Again, I know it's sounds ridiculously oversimplified, but surely the solution is to simultaneously cut spending AND raise taxes? And be intelligent about it too.
Raising taxes would hurt the economy, which is already hurting. What needs to happen is to increase the number of people who pay taxes (as has already been discussed). That would increase revenue without increasing tax rates, and would actually afford the opportunity to decrease certain key rates, such as corporate rates, which are some of the highest in the developed world. THAT would give a significant boost to the economy.

Then we could tackle overall tax reform, which is desperately needed.
― Albert Einstein

Jaekus
+957|5188|Sydney

FEOS wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Raising taxes would hurt the economy, which is already hurting. What needs to happen is to increase the number of people who pay taxes (as has already been discussed). That would increase revenue without increasing tax rates, and would actually afford the opportunity to decrease certain key rates, such as corporate rates, which are some of the highest in the developed world. THAT would give a significant boost to the economy.

Then we could tackle overall tax reform, which is desperately needed.
Well yeah, by raising taxes what I really meant was increase tax revenue. Just didn't say it like that because I'm kinda distracted here at work

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard