Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England
That's nice. She's an idiot normally, but she's right on this. Just because it's a Republican talking point doesn't make it incorrect. Don't fall into the Red Team vs Blue Team trap. That stuff is for morons.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
Tu Stultus Es
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

eric cantor looks as bad of douchebag as really is.
Perhaps, but in this instance he is right. Raising taxes is not an option. They need to gut social security, medicare and the military.
Agreed.  In my generation, I doubt there's anyone that expects social security in its current form to be around for them.  So keep the plan the same for those close to retirement, reconfigure it for everyone else.  Stepping up investigation of Medicare fraud could save us a bundle, as would re-evaluating folks on social security disability that are fully capable of working.  A co-worker of mine had an interesting idea regarding our military.  Announce the closure of the majority of our foreign bases.  Those countries who still want our presence must pay the US for us to remain.  Sounds good to me.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
That's your response? You don't think that investing the money that people pay into social security every month instead of paying it out to current beneficiaries is a good idea? You'd rather just keep tossing money into the current trainwreck? I envy the Aussies for exactly one thing, their superannuation system. They saw retirement systems for the ponzi schemes they are and instead created a robust system where people actually end up getting back more than they put in when they retire. Amazing.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
I haven't followed none too closely tbh but clearly you guys have. Is the US e anomy really in such dire straits right now? I know trillions have been borrowed from China. I also don't understand how a nation of US' size could default on their debts. Wouldn't that be close to economic meltdown?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Stingray24 wrote:

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

eric cantor looks as bad of douchebag as really is.
Perhaps, but in this instance he is right. Raising taxes is not an option. They need to gut social security, medicare and the military.
Agreed.  In my generation, I doubt there's anyone that expects social security in its current form to be around for them.  So keep the plan the same for those close to retirement, reconfigure it for everyone else.  Stepping up investigation of Medicare fraud could save us a bundle, as would re-evaluating folks on social security disability that are fully capable of working.  A co-worker of mine had an interesting idea regarding our military.  Announce the closure of the majority of our foreign bases.  Those countries who still want our presence must pay the US for us to remain.  Sounds good to me.
Precisely. Make the cutoff 45 years of age or so. That gives people under 45 over 20 years to plan for their own retirement. There's no way in hell that I'd ever let myself be dependent on social security when I retire anyway.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
we've been over this before.  dont start acting like lowing now
Tu Stultus Es
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...
so what are you going to vote in 2012?
inane little opines
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Lets see the figures, I bet it hasn't.

Compare and contrast with govt spending on the military and private investment in technology generally.
Consider all of the jobs that have been created from NASA spinoff technology.
Let me give you a quick handful of products NASA has had a role in developing.
  • Implantable Heart Aid
  • Cardiac Imaging System
  • Laser Angioplasty
  • Thermal Video
  • Blood Analyzer
  • X-Ray Imaging System
  • Collision Avoidance System
  • Air/Wastewater Purification Systems
  • Solar Energy
  • Cordless tools
  • Memory Metals
  • Heart Rate Monitor
  • Water Filter/Conditioner
  • Digital Image Processing
  • Laser Technology
  • Satellite Dish
  • Advanced Plastics
  • Smoke Detectors
  • Thermal Gloves and Boots

.. and on and on and on.
Now consider all of the taxes paid as a result of those jobs that manufacture, use, and sell those products everyday. It's exceedingly obvious that NASA pays for itself.
And where's the proof that NASA provides a better Return/Tax $ than other forms of govt spending?

'Advanced Plastics' - They'd never have been developed without NASA
Applies to many of the other items you mentioned
The proof is in the pudding dilbert. All government spending is not equal. You have to weigh the benifts and returns of each program. I listed just a miniscule amount of technology generated by nasa. Expediency is important when it comes to who developes what technology first. NASA has without a doubt played a major role in pushing leading edge technology and job growth. Its rather easy to put two and two together. .. for most people.

NASA is one of the few agencies in government that actually creates anything of tangible worth at all. You don't sit around and wait for technology to come to you. You actively promote innovation so you can quickly move along to the next big idea.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

I haven't followed none too closely tbh but clearly you guys have. Is the US e anomy really in such dire straits right now? I know trillions have been borrowed from China. I also don't understand how a nation of US' size could default on their debts. Wouldn't that be close to economic meltdown?
There is a federally mandated debt ceiling that the government has been pushing back for decades. Come up close to the cap? Push the cap out further. The Republicans in Congress are now using it as a weapon to force down government spending and threatening to let it expire which would cause a default. Our economy isn't in imminent danger of collapse, but we are at a crossroads where we can either raise taxes, or cut spending in order to stop our debt growth. Obama wants to raise taxes, the Republicans want to cut programs without raising taxes. They're at an impasse and playing chicken.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shocking wrote:

My vote is irrelevant. My state will vote for Obama.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney

Jay wrote:

That's your response? You don't think that investing the money that people pay into social security every month instead of paying it out to current beneficiaries is a good idea? You'd rather just keep tossing money into the current trainwreck? I envy the Aussies for exactly one thing, their superannuation system. They saw retirement systems for the ponzi schemes they are and instead created a robust system where people actually end up getting back more than they put in when they retire. Amazing.
US doesn't have superannuation? AFAIK it's actually compulsory for most employers to make contributions into a nominated fund each and every pay of around 9% I believe. The employee can also opt to make additional payments, which isn't taxed.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

Jay wrote:

US doesn't have superannuation? AFAIK it's actually compulsory for most employers to make contributions into a nominated fund each and every pay of around 9% I believe. The employee can also opt to make additional payments, which isn't taxed.
We have a 401K system, but it's not government mandated. It's usually a perk with the company matching up to 3% or so.

Our government mandated retirement system is called Social Security. Each employee in America has a percentage of his income deducted out of every paycheck which is supposed to go into a Social Security trust fund to pay out future beneficiaries. Instead, our SS system has been running a deficit for decades, and/or the government has dumped the money into the general fund and spent it. As a result, all money taken in today will be paid out next week to current retirees. The money is not invested so it is a net loss for everyone involved. Now, with the baby boomers retiring there is no money. They've spent the past thirty years dodging taxes and now have their hand out expecting to get paid when they turn 65. Worst generation in American history.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

There is a federally mandated debt ceiling that the government has been pushing back for decades. Come up close to the cap? Push the cap out further. The Republicans in Congress are now using it as a weapon to force down government spending and threatening to let it expire which would cause a default. Our economy isn't in imminent danger of collapse, but we are at a crossroads where we can either raise taxes, or cut spending in order to stop our debt growth. Obama wants to raise taxes, the Republicans want to cut programs without raising taxes. They're at an impasse and playing chicken.
Oh yeah, don't you just love politics?

I know it's oversimplified but wouldn't the solution be somewhere in the middle? Raise a few taxes and cut spending? That way both measures would not have to be severe to achieve a similar result.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...

Jay wrote:

Shocking wrote:

That's because of the electoral votes system right?

Doesn't that mean that someone can lose although more % of the total population voted on him if he/she won in only a few states?

Last edited by Shocking (2011-07-16 08:50:49)

inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

I know it's oversimplified but wouldn't the solution be somewhere in the middle? Raise a few taxes and cut spending? That way both measures would not have to be severe to achieve a similar result.
Yes, that would be the right compromise except the current administration has squandered any and all goodwill that it had upon being elected. Obamacare? Dreadful. Stimulus spending? Even worse. They've spent money like a teenager with an unlimited credit card. Now they're asking daddy to pay the bill and instead he is threatening to sell off their toys to pay for it.
-Frederick Bastiat
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Jay wrote:

That's nice. She's an idiot normally, but she's right on this. Just because it's a Republican talking point doesn't make it incorrect. Don't fall into the Red Team vs Blue Team trap. That stuff is for morons.
Its impossible for some people to break free of it. Dilbert is a perfect example. The op read equally as offensive to both major parties. However a political cultist can only see points to be scored for or against one 'team'. The box they occupy is embarrassingly transparent and close minded. They've lost their grip.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shocking wrote:

Jay wrote:

Shocking wrote:

That's because of the electoral votes system right?

Doesn't that mean that someone can lose although more % of the total population voted on him if he/she won in only a few states?
Yes, but it does make sense to a limited extent. It gives more power to smaller states that would otherwise be irrelevant when it came to elections. If it was based solely on population no one would ever campaign outside of New York, Florida, Ohio, Texas, Michigan and California. It's the same reason every state has two senators.

My state always votes Democrat so it doesn't really matter who I vote for

Edit - for what it's worth, I think the Republican challengers outside of Ron Paul are pretty fucking awful. I'm probably just not going to vote at all.

Last edited by Jay (2011-07-16 08:57:31)

-Frederick Bastiat
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

eleven bravo wrote:

ann coulter said those exact same words on bill maher last week.
Coulter is a hack that says whatever is needed to sell books. You should always consider that whenever you hear her whoring herself out for attention.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Kmar wrote:

Jay wrote:

Its impossible for some people to break free of it. Dilbert is a perfect example. The op read equally as offensive to both major parties. However a political cultist can only see points to be scored for or against one 'team'. The box they occupy is embarrassingly transparent and close minded. They've lost their grip.
Parroting other peoples talking points is always easier than doing your own research and coming to your own conclusions. I despise the Republicans as much as I do the Democrats but I'm objective enough to like some stances from either. I just happen to view economics as supremely important in national politics so I tend to lean Republican because of it. I despise their social stances however (outside of gun control).
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...
I like Ron Paul because he makes sense but he's a bit too ultra-conservative imo. 'cut everything'... it's going to reign in spending sure but I very much doubt it's the right thing to do. His measures would have unemployment numbers go through the roof.
inane little opines
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Jay wrote:

Yes, that would be the right compromise except the current administration has squandered any and all goodwill that it had upon being elected. Obamacare? Dreadful. Stimulus spending? Even worse. They've spent money like a teenager with an unlimited credit card. Now they're asking daddy to pay the bill and instead he is threatening to sell off their toys to pay for it.
And of course neither side will compromise, yet that is exactly what needs to be done. I find it curious how both parties can be simultaneously remarkably similar and yet totally polarised on a range of issues. But that's politics.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

And of course neither side will compromise, yet that is exactly what needs to be done. I find it curious how both parties can be simultaneously remarkably similar and yet totally polarised on a range of issues. But that's politics.

Obama wrote:

"I'd rather be talking about stuff that everybody welcomes, like new programs."
We have massive debt and a massive annual deficit and he wants to create more programs. This is why I'm firmly in the court of the Republicans when it comes to reining in spending. This administration is out of its fucking mind.

Last edited by Jay (2011-07-16 10:01:30)

-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...
Obama is gonna win anyway, he's way too good at campaigning.
inane little opines
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6447|The Land of Scott Walker

Jay wrote:

We have massive debt and a massive annual deficit and he wants to create more programs. This is why I'm firmly in the court of the Republicans when it comes to reining in spending. This administration is out of its fucking mind.
That's why I don't understand why anyone thinks Obama wins in this situation.  Increased spending is no longer a viable option at this point.  If there is negative fallout from this situation, it won't be those in favor of spending cuts who take the blame.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard