13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6515

Jay wrote:

The only thing I disagree with is the Republican insistance of forcing the issue to come back just in time for the election.
and a Constitutional Amendment does not figure into any of this.

The primary is calling Jay, you'd make a nice delegate.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5375|London, England

13urnzz wrote:

Jay wrote:

The only thing I disagree with is the Republican insistance of forcing the issue to come back just in time for the election.
and a Constitutional Amendment does not figure into any of this.

The primary is calling Jay, you'd make a nice delegate.
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6515

thanks.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5196|Sydney

Jay wrote:

13urnzz wrote:

Jay wrote:

Because the situation is clearly not one sided. Neither of them is willing to compromise.
you have dems putting cuts on the table, repubs putting hot air in the room - yeah, Jay is no libertarian. go vote in the primary Jay, you*ve earned it.
Most of the Dems cuts are fictitious. The only thing I disagree with is the Republican insistance of forcing the issue to come back just in time for the election. That's just politicking at the expense of the country. On the other hand, Obama shouldn't be allowed to skate by without it being the pressing and important issue that it is.

This fight isn't about taxes or cuts, it's a fight over a campaign issue the Dems are terrified of facing because they know when pressed they will have to admit they are going to raise taxes if reelected. That's it. It's politics, and neither side is innocent.
Which is why the Republicans want to raise the ceiling till around the time of the next election, and the Dems want to raise it for well beyond then for exactly the same reason.

You can't trust either of them, yet there's no one else to turn to.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6515

Jaekus wrote:

QFT.

our resident Libertarian turns out to be a sheep in wolves clothing.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5375|London, England

13urnzz wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

QFT.

our resident Libertarian turns out to be a sheep in wolves clothing.
Wtf are you talking about? What opinion were you expecting from me?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Sean Hannity was talking about how bad compromise is. .. and how it was compromise that got us in this situation in the first place. Does he not realize that without at least the appearance of compromise they won't get anywhere?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

"AP sources say there's been significant progress toward debt deal between White House and GOP"

I think it's going down something like this "We're all going to burn.. lez do sumtin"
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6170|what

Are those who were saying that you should have let Wall St fail and no bailouts also calling for similar to happen re the debt ceiling?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5196|Sydney

Kmar wrote:

"AP sources say there's been significant progress toward debt deal between White House and GOP"

I think it's going down something like this "We're all going to burn.. lez do sumtin"
Pretty much.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

AussieReaper wrote:

Are those who were saying that you should have let Wall St fail and no bailouts also calling for similar to happen re the debt ceiling?
actually yes.. and for the most part they really aren't educated (financially). Not formally at least. 

I'm annoyed by people who are apparently so passionate about things they know very little about, truly.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6170|what

Kmar wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

actually yes.. and for the most part they really aren't educated (financially). Not formally at least. 

I'm annoyed by people who are apparently so passionate about things they know very little about, truly.
A lot of the lies in the way the media has represented the issue. They don't quite know the outcomes of default.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

People are saying this is the biggest government clusterfuck they've seen. People that were alive during watergate. I'm sure there's a bit of sensationalism happening. But ridiculous none-the-less.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

AussieReaper wrote:

Kmar wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

A lot of the lies in the way the media has represented the issue. They don't quite know the outcomes of default.
Tea partiers are betting on a credit downgrade no matter what happens.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6515

i was alive during Watergate. Watergate is what started me reading the newspaper.

unlike some bullet point dittoheads on this forum, i formed an opinion on the words 'Republican' and 'Democrat' before they both sold out.

at least, the words what they meant before what they mean today.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Today they mean opposition.. nothing more really.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6170|what

Kmar wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Kmar wrote:

14th Amendment might prevent it. But that's a big might. The validity has to be assessed and I don't know how it is determined.

Who makes the call on what interpretations are correct?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

The supreme court.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6692|Canberra, AUS

Kmar wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Not the worst bet tbh.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

I haven't been keeping up with this has much as I should have so my knowledge of what has been going on is a bit shakey. From what I understand of where we are right now- The Reid plan increases the debt ceiling by 2.4 trillion and makes an equal amount in cuts but doesn't reform entitlements and doesn't increase revenue at all. The Boehner plan increases the ceiling by a little over 1 trillion and adds a balanced budget amendment.

If my understanding of things is correct- how the hell could the republicans claim to be serious about this? A balanced budget amendment wouldn't work at all since it wouldn't allow for disasters, wars, and other emergency spending that the country may have to make. There is also zero chance any amendment will get the amount of states needed to ratify any changes to the constitution. And even if there was enough state support for it, there isn't enough time between now and Tuesday to get it done.

So how are the republicans not the bad guys here?
Spark
+874|6692|Canberra, AUS

Macbeth wrote:

I haven't been keeping up with this has much as I should have so my knowledge of what has been going on is a bit shakey. From what I understand of where we are right now- The Reid plan increases the debt ceiling by 2.4 trillion and makes an equal amount in cuts but doesn't reform entitlements and doesn't increase revenue at all. The Boehner plan increases the ceiling by a little over 1 trillion and adds a balanced budget amendment.

If my understanding of things is correct- how the hell could the republicans claim to be serious about this? A balanced budget amendment wouldn't work at all since it wouldn't allow for disasters, wars, and other emergency spending that the country may have to make. There is also zero chance any amendment will get the amount of states needed to ratify any changes to the constitution. And even if there was enough state support for it, there isn't enough time between now and Tuesday to get it done.

You're assuming there are good guys.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5603

/unamused face

You know what I meant.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Spark wrote:

Kmar wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Not the worst bet tbh.
True, but using it to rationalize a complete failure (as some are) is dumb.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
+874|6692|Canberra, AUS

Macbeth wrote:

/unamused face

You know what I meant.
I know what you meant. It doesn't exactly feel fair to rail all up and down against one side when the other sides is chock-full of petulant, incompetent chumps too.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Macbeth wrote:

Tell me I didn't call most this shit in the op. They've been testing the water since then.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard