Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6117|eXtreme to the maX
Do the Police ask people to prove they haven't committed any other crimes when they're pulled over or is it just immigration?

Stopping people because they're suspects in one crime and then requiring they prove they haven't committed another crime for which the officer has no evidence they have is bizarre and runs against most principles of natural law.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6422|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Do the Police ask people to prove they haven't committed any other crimes when they're pulled over or is it just immigration?

Stopping people because they're suspects in one crime and then requiring they prove they haven't committed another crime for which the officer has no evidence they have is bizarre and runs against most principles of natural law.
If an officer has reason to suspect another crime is occurring or has occurred, they can inspect the vehicle for it (drugs, etc). Traffic stops often are the starting point for larger busts.

And are you referring to natural law or common law?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS
It's not quite "prove you aren't a criminal". IIRC it stems for a case against a lady in a burqa (or similar) that was thrown out because the police didn't identify her face (despite presumably having other methods of ID). So that's where it comes from.

Last edited by Spark (2011-07-11 04:06:19)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6422|'Murka

Spark wrote:

It's not quite "prove you aren't a criminal". IIRC it stems for a case against a lady in a burqa (or similar) that was thrown out because the police didn't identify her face (despite presumably having other methods of ID). So that's where it comes from.
Dil's referring to the (similar) Arizona law, which I referenced and noted the distinct difference in response from the community towards...which he then perpetrated further with his lambasting of the (similar) Arizona law.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS
TBF you have to really, really work at it to get the Aus populace worked up about anything.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5189|Sydney

Spark wrote:

TBF you have to really, really work at it to get the Aus populace worked up about anything.
Unless it's beer or sport
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6163|what

Jaekus wrote:

Spark wrote:

24 can limit at cricket games = riots in the streets
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jaekus
+957|5189|Sydney

AussieReaper wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Spark wrote:

And they're mid strength too no doubt
Spark
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS

AussieReaper wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Spark wrote:

whatchoo talking about *whistles*
~ Richard Feynman
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5248|Cleveland, Ohio

Spark wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

There have been multiple cases/threads here where this very argument has been used, but those against it have decried it as a violation of personal rights, police state, slippery slope and whatnot.

Arizona's immigration law comes to mind...

I don't disagree with the proposal. I'm just noticing a comparison and a distinctly different reaction.
Its very different requiring everyone prove their ID compared requiring brown people to prove they're not criminals.
This law applies to anyone with a face covering of any kind, not just muslims with burkas IIRC.
Yes, this is correct.
wow have you two shown your ignorance and proved the point feos was making
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6117|eXtreme to the maX
Still not sure what point that was but OK.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS

11 Bravo wrote:

Spark wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Its very different requiring everyone prove their ID compared requiring brown people to prove they're not criminals.
This law applies to anyone with a face covering of any kind, not just muslims with burkas IIRC.
Yes, this is correct.
I'm not sure I ever argued about the Arizona law...
~ Richard Feynman
11 Bravo
Banned

Spark wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Spark wrote:

Yes, this is correct.
well thats what he was talking about and you quoted him.  if you dont know dogbert will always cry about the US in some smart ass way by now well then......
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5369|London, England
Rachel Maddow and Jon Stewart didn't blast the Australian law so it's cool.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
11 Bravo
Banned

Jay wrote:

Rachel Maddow and Jon Stewart didn't blast the Australian law so it's cool.
true.  good point.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6163|what

Good thing you have those two to know what you should be against.
Spark
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS

11 Bravo wrote:

Spark wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

well thats what he was talking about and you quoted him.  if you dont know dogbert will always cry about the US in some smart ass way by now well then......
I was only confirming the last sentence of his post, to clarify the actual law itself. I don't actually know what the Arizona law does in detail.

I'm not particularly interested in getting dragged into little games, tbh
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5369|London, England

AussieReaper wrote:

Nah, I don't watch much political tv. You however, get all your opinions from them. You are the liberal version of lowing and his bill o'reilly.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
11 Bravo
Banned

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Nah, I don't watch much political tv. You however, get all your opinions from them. You are the liberal version of lowing and his bill o'reilly.
11 Bravo
Banned

Spark wrote:

then you might not want to quote dogbert
Spark
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS

11 Bravo wrote:

Spark wrote:

then you might not want to quote dogbert
Right. Will bear that in mind in future if I can be bothered to remember

---

When did the 1 minute between posts rule change? Just noticed
~ Richard Feynman
Jaekus
+957|5189|Sydney
I noticed Today Tonight are having a field day with this topic. I fucking hate that show.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5596

Spark wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Spark wrote:

I was only confirming the last sentence of his post, to clarify the actual law itself. I don't actually know what the Arizona law does in detail.

With all due respect, that's a lame backtrack.

FEOs is right though, the laws are similar and both have room for abuse.

Considering some of the things I have read about ethnic relations in AUS, it seems the bill, like the one in Arizona, is the right thing to pass but is popular for the wrong reasons.
Spark
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS

Macbeth wrote:

Spark wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

With all due respect, that's a lame backtrack.

FEOs is right though, the laws are similar and both have room for abuse.

Considering some of the things I have read about ethnic relations in AUS, it seems the bill, like the one in Arizona, is the right thing to pass but is popular for the wrong reasons.
Could be. Racism is very much alive and well in this country.
~ Richard Feynman
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6163|what

Jay wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Oh obviously I get all my political opinions from watching the political commentary from another countries comedian. Good one, chief.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard