11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5236|Cleveland, Ohio
How many countries are going to keep trying this?

"Muslim women would have to remove veils and show their faces to police on request or risk a prison sentence"

http://news.yahoo.com/australian-law-mu … 25536.html
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6658|BC, Canada
Seems like the punishment for not doing it is a bit over the top, but it is a totally reasonable law. It is part of identifying yourself.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

On request. And if they feel uncomfortable with doing so for a male officer, a female officer if present can carry it out.

There are cases where the victim/accused do need to show their face. eg domestic violence situation where the veiled woman has a black eye.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

/winces at the comments on the article

As long as a female officers are available to perform the revealing it's fine.

Anyway, stay classy Australia.

Last edited by Macbeth (2011-07-10 23:13:07)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715
Funny thing is a lot of the muslim community support this move afaik.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5178|Sydney

Macbeth wrote:

/winces at the comments on the article
I know, I know *picardfacepalm.jpg*

As long as a female officers are available to perform the revealing it's fine.
Agree 100%

Anyway, stay classy Australia.
Some of us a trying to keep it that way
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney

Nic wrote:

Seems like the punishment for not doing it is a bit over the top, but it is a totally reasonable law. It is part of identifying yourself.
Yeah I'm not sure a prison sentence is appropriate. The fine itself is pretty hefty and should be enough of an incentive.

Also about the argument re: it being culturally insensitive (not on here yet, but I've heard some people talk about it in the news as being as such), it is not like the police are going to go around and demand every woman wearing a burqa to reveal themselves. It would only be during the course of police carrying out the law.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6148|'straya
I really don't see the problem here.

If a motorbike rider has a helmet on he has to take it off to be identified by police. If a women has a Burqa on she obviously needs to remove it to be identified by police.

The creation of this law was in response to a specific event where a suspect was unable to be identified by police because she was wearing a Burqa. If fact, the law was supported by the Islamic Council of Australia as a reasonable request by police.
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

I really don't see the problem here.

If a motorbike rider has a helmet on he has to take it off to be identified by police. If a women has a Burqa on she obviously needs to remove it to be identified by police.

The creation of this law was in response to a specific event where a suspect was unable to be identified by police because she was wearing a Burqa. If fact, the law was supported by the Islamic Council of Australia as a reasonable request by police.
There was also a court case in WA where a woman wore a burqa to court and needed to be ordered to remove it to give testimony.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

11 Bravo wrote:

How many countries are going to keep trying this?

"Muslim women would have to remove veils and show their faces to police on request or risk a prison sentence"

http://news.yahoo.com/australian-law-mu … 25536.html
Most countries have this already, people have to identify themselves to Police, move along people.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Jaekus wrote:

Nic wrote:

Yeah I'm not sure a prison sentence is appropriate. The fine itself is pretty hefty and should be enough of an incentive.

Also about the argument re: it being culturally insensitive (not on here yet, but I've heard some people talk about it in the news as being as such), it is not like the police are going to go around and demand every woman wearing a burqa to reveal themselves. It would only be during the course of police carrying out the law.
There have been multiple cases/threads here where this very argument has been used, but those against it have decried it as a violation of personal rights, police state, slippery slope and whatnot.

Arizona's immigration law comes to mind...

I don't disagree with the proposal. I'm just noticing a comparison and a distinctly different reaction.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney

FEOS wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Nic wrote:

There have been multiple cases/threads here where this very argument has been used, but those against it have decried it as a violation of personal rights, police state, slippery slope and whatnot.

I don't disagree with the proposal. I'm just noticing a comparison and a distinctly different reaction.
Perhaps it could be that a female officer MUST be present?
And if not and no arrest can be issued, then the law is not carried out?
I dunno, it sounds idealistic and simplistic as I type. But if there were some clause or something that doesn't give police powers to de-burqa any woman without due cause, it might appease the side against it to some degree?

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-07-11 02:46:30)

FEOS
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Jaekus wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

I dunno, it sounds idealistic and simplistic as I type. But if there were some clause or something that doesn't give police powers to de-burqa any woman without due cause, it might appease the side against it to some degree?
Again, I'm not arguing against it. It's entirely reasonable...just as similar laws that were argued against here were reasonable and had similar safeguards in place to mitigate abuse.

I just find the difference in tone when it's somewhere else implementing a law like this...interesting.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney

FEOS wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Again, I'm not arguing against it. It's entirely reasonable...just as similar laws that were argued against here were reasonable and had similar safeguards in place to mitigate abuse.
Yeah I think it will stir things up a bit of both sides of the fence in the months to come. Did you see the Cronulla riots we had here some years ago? It made international news, it was in Sydney, where this law is being introduced.

I just find the difference in tone when it's somewhere else implementing a law like this...interesting.
Check the Australian Politics thread. It's not like everyone agrees but it is very civil
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

Its very different requiring everyone prove their ID compared requiring brown people to prove they're not criminals.
This law applies to anyone with a face covering of any kind, not just muslims with burkas IIRC.
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Its very different requiring everyone prove their ID compared requiring brown people to prove they're not criminals.
This law applies to anyone with a face covering of any kind, not just muslims with burkas IIRC.
This law only works though if it can only be enacted during the course of police work. It should not be used to "check" on people at whim.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Yes, this is correct.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
FEOS
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

See, this is the very type of reaction I'm talking about.

The Arizona law wasn't applicable only to "brown people," it was applicable to all illegal immigrants.

However, I think if someone were to try to put forth a law like this in the US, they would have the ACLU on them like stink on shit, tbh. Even though it makes perfect sense (the motorcycle analogy, for example), because it deals with an ethnic group, lawyers would turn it into a bowl of sensitivity bullshit.

Jaekus wrote:

This law only works though if it can only be enacted during the course of police work. It should not be used to "check" on people at whim.
Arizona's immigration law is/was the same.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

The Arizona law wasn't applicable only to "brown people," it was applicable to all illegal immigrants.

However, I think if someone were to try to put forth a law like this in the US, they would have the ACLU on them like stink on shit, tbh. Even though it makes perfect sense (the motorcycle analogy, for example), because it deals with an ethnic group, lawyers would turn it into a bowl of sensitivity bullshit.
Not so, requiring anyone with a face covering to remove it if requested by a Police officer is very different from racial profiling and then requiring people to prove they aren't criminals.

Motorcyclists must have good lawyers if it couldn't be enacted in the US.
FEOS
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Not so, requiring anyone with a face covering to remove it if requested by a Police officer is very different from racial profiling and then requiring people to prove they aren't criminals.

FEOS wrote:

Read the Arizona law before you start pontificating about it, 'kay?

Dilbert_X wrote:

Motorcyclists must have good lawyers if it couldn't be enacted in the US.
Not to derail this into something about the US...but it wouldn't be the motorcyclists who would cause it to be that way. They would just "benefit."
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Wonder how many good ole boys the Arizona Police have pulled up as suspected illegals eh?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

Read the Arizona law before you start pontificating about it, 'kay?
From a slightly less sensationalist report:
New South Wales police conducting routine car stops will be given the power to demand the removal of head coverings for identification.

Premier Barry O'Farrell says cabinet approved the move on Monday so police could properly identify motorists or any other people suspected of committing a crime.

"I don't care whether a person is wearing a motorcycle helmet, a burka, niqab, face veil or anything else, the police should be allowed to require those people to make their identification clear," he said in a statement.
'kay?
FEOS
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Wonder how many good ole boys the Arizona Police have pulled up as suspected illegals eh?
None, because the law hasn't been enacted due to an injunction.

And again, your reaction is exactly the type of reaction I alluded to. No real difference in the laws: In Aus, you have to lift your veil/burka to ID yourself (specific to one religious group); in Arizona, you have to provide an ID to show proof of immigration status (not specific to one ethnic group).

Both can only be requested in the process of some other law-enforcement duty. Yet it's the Arizona one you have the issue with.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Very simply:

Australia requires ID

Arizona requires people to prove they aren't criminals

See the difference?
FEOS
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Very simply:

Australia requires ID

Arizona requires people to prove they aren't criminals

See the difference?
No, the Arizona law doesn't require people to prove they aren't criminals. It requires people to show proof of their immigration status. Your argument is akin to saying that the police officer asking you for your driver's license is requiring you to "prove you aren't a criminal" by showing proof you have a license to operate a vehicle. It's a nonsensical argument.
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard