Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6692
Modern science starts with people like Gordon Freeman in the 20th century.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5701|College Park, MD
Modern science starts with people like Benjamin Franklin in the 14th century during the cold war.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Spark wrote:

Um, no. Infinity is an extremely subtly defined and very well-researched topic in mathematics.
/sigh
go back to school.
You go back to school. He is correct.
Scientific models are a bit more than "anstract constructs", they're models which explain well the physical world we see around us.

More so than the abstract constructs in religion, which require leaps of faith and the believer to ignore any inconvenient evidence which knocks over the theory.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Shahter wrote:

/sigh
go back to school.
You go back to school. He is correct.
Scientific models are a bit more than "anstract constructs", they're models which explain well the physical world we see around us.

More so than the abstract constructs in religion, which require leaps of faith and the believer to ignore any inconvenient evidence which knocks over the theory.
Maths is 100% abstract constructs.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Maths is a tool, its not an abstract construct any more than a spanner is.

You can use maths to create abstract constructs, thats different.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS
No. Maths is a useful tool, but its primary, inherent "base" of existence is an extension of logic, with one critical structure (the set) and some additional assumed axioms.

There is nothing real world, for example, about the distinction between countably and uncountably infinite - only abstract.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Uzique wrote:

you do realize there were more inquisitions than the spanish one, right? according to where the papal empire was situated.
I do. In fact I just finished.
https://i.imgur.com/XpFoU.jpg
So naturally I know everything about everything now.
It was actually pretty good. /pbs
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

This is what I was talking about earlier.
Frequently, a refinement of cruelty was displayed which unassisted mortals could hardly have thought of, the direct suggestion of Satan is evident in many a passage in the Inquisitorial history. Incarnate fiends trod those bloodstained halls. "Gaspar de Santa Cruz escaped to Toulouse, where he died, and was buried, after his effigy had been burnt in Zaragoza. In this city lived a son of his, who, as in duty bound, had helped him to make good his retreat. This son was detained as an impeder of the holy office, arrested, brought out at an act of faith, made to read a condemnation of his deceased father, and then sent to the inquisitor at Toulouse, who took him to his father's grave, and compelled him to dig up the corpse, and burn it with his own hands.
This happened in France. One of the goals of the Inquisition was to expose Jews who converted to Christianity but were still secretly Jewish.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I still don't see any positive side of any religion, except it keeps the roads clear on Sundays when I'm driving to the gun range.
13rin
+977|6478
There is no god.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard