lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA
http://news.yahoo.com/california-lawmak … 38470.html

Leave it  to California to dream up this bullshit.

"A bill to require California public schools to teach the historical accomplishments of gay men and lesbians passed the state Legislature on Tuesday in what supporters call a first for the nation."

Gay is not a class of people. It is not a race and being gay has nothing to do with their accomplishments in history. Bullshit like this is the same thing as teaching the "fat people history" Highlighting the accomplishments of fat people, when their weight has nothing to do with their accomplishments of finding a cure for polio or inventing the light bulb.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
Who cares. It already happens anyway with Roman civilisation and Oscar Wilde, etc...

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-07-06 02:52:20)

Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4844|Amsterdam
Seems to take 'accepting gay people' a bit too far.
But this is nothing new. It happens with every single race or group that has ever been oppressed at some point in time. People do this this out of some stupid sense of guilt for oppressing those groups.
same happened with black people, native americans and jews.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4844|Amsterdam
Its always out of some stupid sense of guild that so many people feel like compensating for something they never even did. So they put these groups in a huge spotlight, that is totally unnecessary, to make up for years of abuse and oppression.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6777|Moscow, Russia
lowing, i agree with you. but this

Jaekus wrote:

Who cares. It already happens anyway with Roman civilisation and Oscar Wilde, etc...
is also kinda true. there are just as many attention whoring assholes who'd demand special recognition of their "historical accomplishment" among gays as there are among other people (religious cretins come to mind).
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney
Yeah true. But making it compulsory means little will change. They already teach history involving gay people. All they'd have to do is an assignment here or there focussing on someone who was gay. Meh.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4844|Amsterdam
Sure, no one cares.
but it just seems stupid as a teacher to really go out of your way to give a almost useless assignment just to make up for something most of us arent responsible for.

And its not like the homosexual community will give a shit wether a child learns about 1 famous gay person in history or not.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

lowing wrote:

Gay is not a class of people. It is not a race and being gay has nothing to do with their accomplishments in history. Bullshit like this is the same thing as teaching the "fat people history" Highlighting the accomplishments of fat people, when their weight has nothing to do with their accomplishments of finding a cure for polio or inventing the light bulb.
It is a class of people. Why do you think they were denied the right to marry? That was based on the classification of gay.

Secondly, the have accomplishments when you look at the challenge for equal rights. Same as the struggle for equal rights for blacks. And before that, for women.

You're really on a roll lately with ignorant posts.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4844|Amsterdam

AussieReaper wrote:

Just lately?
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4970|Dundee, Scotland.
I have absolutely no problem with gay people, my flat-mate is bisexual, and one of my good friends is gay.

What I have a problem with is shoving this crap in kid's faces. What grade/age group is this stuff being directed at?
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney

Kampframmer wrote:

Sure, no one cares.
but it just seems stupid as a teacher to really go out of your way to give a almost useless assignment just to make up for something most of us arent responsible for.

And its not like the homosexual community will give a shit wether a child learns about 1 famous gay person in history or not.
Writing about someone like Oscar Wilde in English would be useful. He was a renowned writer and openly gay in a time where it was quite taboo. It would be a good assignment if presented correctly and the focus wouldn't have to be about him being gay, but about his books and his life, just like how one could write about Shakespeare. Kills two birds with one stone.

This is hardly threadworthy, it's just another premise to have a cheap shot at government on an aging computer game forum.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

https://i.imgur.com/WJXdR.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/npaME.jpg
These dudes weren't fat. I guess Edison could've stood to lose a pound or two...

OT: There's no reason the accomplishments of certain gay individuals couldn't be taught in existing history classes, or that the fact that certain individuals--who are already covered in the curriculum--were gay. Requiring it, though? I have to agree...unless it can be shown that they overcame something related to their homosexuality to achieve what is being taught, or it can be conclusively shown to have some other relevance to the primary topic, then it just sounds like pandering, IMO.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

Camm wrote:

I have absolutely no problem with gay people, my flat-mate is bisexual, and one of my good friends is gay.

What I have a problem with is shoving this crap in kid's faces. What grade/age group is this stuff being directed at?
California already requires public schools to teach the contributions made to society by women and by racial and ethnic groups that were historically discriminated against, such as blacks, Latinos and Native Americans.

Supporters of the latest bill said it would simply include gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender individuals in that existing requirement, making it part of the curriculum in history and other social studies classes.

"It's unfair to leave out or exclude an entire portion of our population from history," said Carolyn Laub, executive director of San Francisco-based Gay-Straight Alliance Network.
Where is your problem Camm?

If you read anything about the struggle for gays to have equal rights, I'm sure you'd find it fabulous.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

AussieReaper wrote:

Camm wrote:

California already requires public schools to teach the contributions made to society by women and by racial and ethnic groups that were historically discriminated against, such as blacks, Latinos and Native Americans.

Supporters of the latest bill said it would simply include gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender individuals in that existing requirement, making it part of the curriculum in history and other social studies classes.

"It's unfair to leave out or exclude an entire portion of our population from history," said Carolyn Laub, executive director of San Francisco-based Gay-Straight Alliance Network.

If you read anything about the struggle for gays to have equal rights, I'm sure you'd find it faaaaaaabulous.
fixt
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6521|Πάϊ
This distinction makes no sense to me...
ƒ³
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6777|Moscow, Russia

oug wrote:

This distinction makes no sense to me...
that's because there is no sense in it.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

FEOS wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Camm wrote:

If you read anything about the struggle for gays to have equal rights, I'm sure you'd find it faaaaaaabulous.
fixt
That was the joke.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

It is a class of people. Why do you think they were denied the right to marry? That was based on the classification of gay.

Secondly, the have accomplishments when you look at the challenge for equal rights. Same as the struggle for equal rights for blacks. And before that, for women.

Comparing what gays have gone through to what black people went through in the past is the real ignorance here. Have gay people been lynched? Castrated? Dragged behind a pickup truck until dead? No? Ok then.

If gay people got tired of the abuse they could always act straight. A black person had a rather difficult time changing his blackness.

Anyway, the way gay people dress and act in public is what separates them from the rest of society. That part of the lifestyle is pure choice. There is no gene in their body telling them how to dress or speak Because they choose to separate themselves from the rest of society, why should we honor it with a special recognition whatever. Where's my day for putting my hair up in a mohawk and dying it pink? People are mean to me on the streets. Wah
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

Jay wrote:

Comparing what gays have gone through to what black people went through in the past is the real ignorance here. Have gay people been lynched? Castrated? Dragged behind a pickup truck until dead? No? Ok then.

If gay people got tired of the abuse they could always act straight. A black person had a rather difficult time changing his blackness.

Anyway, the way gay people dress and act in public is what separates them from the rest of society. That part of the lifestyle is pure choice. There is no gene in their body telling them how to dress or speak Because they choose to separate themselves from the rest of society, why should we honor it with a special recognition whatever. Where's my day for putting my hair up in a mohawk and dying it pink? People are mean to me on the streets. Wah
You are so dense. Is it an act?

Gays are one of the few remaining classes to still be discriminated against. And your solution? "You could always act straight."

You really want to dictate how people dress and act in the street? Mohawks are offensive to you?

Idiot.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Also, in the grand scheme of things, earning the right to marry is pretty fucking petty and insignificant. It's not like they were ever denied voting rights or something.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

Jay wrote:

Also, in the grand scheme of things, earning the right to marry is pretty fucking petty and insignificant. It's not like they were ever denied voting rights or something.
And seperate water fountains? They are still drinking water!
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6001|...
This is ridiculous
inane little opines
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney
The bill has not been passed anyway, so at the moment the whole point is moot.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay wrote:

You are so dense. Is it an act?

Gays are one of the few remaining classes to still be discriminated against. And your solution? "You could always act straight."

You really want to dictate how people dress and act in the street? Mohawks are offensive to you?

Idiot.
No child, you completely missed my point. I said that the only thing separating gay people from the rest of society is who they choose to spend their nights with. The way they talk, the way they dress, it is their way of voluntarily separating themselves from the rest of society. I'm not saying they need to conform, I'm saying that they easily can do so in a mixed setting in order to avoid abuse. Black people, Mexicans etc can't change the color of their skin and blend in.

Lastly, no, I don't want to dictate how people dress and act on the street. I was the kid in the mohawk getting taunted as I walked down the street. But, I understood that it was voluntary on my part to look like that. It's human nature to automatically hate what is new and different. It's a self defense mechanism. Wariness.

Last remaining discriminated classes... man you sure got gyped with your cause didn't you? You're already 99% of the way complete. I guess it's an easy sense of accomplishment to earn though. Fight the good fight though. I'm sure the people of this state really cared that an Aussie was cheering them on from the other side of the globe.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Holy fuck that reads terribly. Oh well, what I get for typing on a phone.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard