lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

Kmar wrote:

I think the argument is usually that if a community has limited emt resources, those paramedics could be helping people who actually took steps to protect themselves rather than those careless individuals.
Well even assholes can be taxpayers and insurance policy holders and have paid for EMT services just as much as anyone else has.

Besides, hell in our country, a 5 mile an hour fender bender is a 7.5 million dollar law suit. Can't get those numbers without calling for medical help, right after you call a lawyer.

Last edited by lowing (2011-07-07 02:35:30)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

I give priority to the other people who pay for emt services. The ones who are at least making an effort to protect themselves.

I believe they call those lawyers ambulance chasers. And yes, we have a ridiculously litigious society.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

Kmar wrote:

I give priority to the other people who pay for emt services. The ones who are at least making an effort to protect themselves.

I believe they call those lawyers ambulance chasers. And yes, we have a ridiculously litigious society.
Well I know a few EMT's and, off the record, they do just what you said.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6793|Moscow, Russia

lowing wrote:

Shahter wrote:

lowing wrote:

How is a person flying out of a car on a roll over endangering public safety?
he doesn't. i wasn't replying to seatbelt point, but rather the OP and the whole helmet discussion.
yeah that is a great point and as I said before I can not argue against it, I am just not sure how often that the situation arises where a biker gets knocked off a bike by a June bug and kills someone else
yeah, i get it. but, all things considered, between government infringement on personal freedom of a biker to act like a careless idiot and additional safety provided to both the biker and people around him by the helmet, i'd definitely vote for the latter.

Always plenty of rubberneckers standing around to do that. Besides odds are the accident happened when they were on the cell phone thus the phone is probably no longer in reach anyway even if it did still work.
umm... no. i don't find it funny. at all. my brother's only alive because after the lesson tought to him by that bug he started to take his safety a lot more seriousy. and when shit actually hit the fan - he got in real accident at the speed of about 140 kmph - the only thing that kept him alive was his protective equipment. the bike had to be sold for parts, helmet, gloves, boots and other stuff he wore were all completely trashed - and not a single fucking scratch on his body. oh, and there was nobody on the highway when it happened.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6124|eXtreme to the maX

Kmar wrote:

yes, we have a ridiculous society.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

Shahter wrote:

lowing wrote:

Shahter wrote:

he doesn't. i wasn't replying to seatbelt point, but rather the OP and the whole helmet discussion.
yeah that is a great point and as I said before I can not argue against it, I am just not sure how often that the situation arises where a biker gets knocked off a bike by a June bug and kills someone else
yeah, i get it. but, all things considered, between government infringement on personal freedom of a biker to act like a careless idiot and additional safety provided to both the biker and people around him by the helmet, i'd definitely vote for the latter.

Always plenty of rubberneckers standing around to do that. Besides odds are the accident happened when they were on the cell phone thus the phone is probably no longer in reach anyway even if it did still work.
umm... no. i don't find it funny. at all. my brother's only alive because after the lesson tought to him by that bug he started to take his safety a lot more seriousy. and when shit actually hit the fan - he got in real accident at the speed of about 140 kmph - the only thing that kept him alive was his protective equipment. the bike had to be sold for parts, helmet, gloves, boots and other stuff he wore were all completely trashed - and not a single fucking scratch on his body. oh, and there was nobody on the highway when it happened.
You are proving my point, whatever happened to your brother, he did to himself, and if you wanted to argue what might happen to someone else because of a bikers actions, the 140 mph is more plausible. Honestly, I would be more concerned about 140 mph over the helmet.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6793|Moscow, Russia
140kmph, man. it was a little above the allowed speed, but not by much. scratch that, he just told me it was way above. >.<

Last edited by Shahter (2011-07-07 03:21:33)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

Shahter wrote:

140kmph, man. it was a little above the allowed speed, but not by much. scratch that, he just told me it was way above. >.<
My apologizes, I  mis-read mph. So you are talking to your brother now? Ask him how often a biker gets knocked off a bike by rocks or bugs etc...
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6793|Moscow, Russia

lowing wrote:

Shahter wrote:

My apologizes, I  mis-read mph. So you are talking to your brother now? Ask him how often a biker gets knocked off a bike by rocks or bugs etc...
i did yesterday. most of what i've been posting here were his opinions.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

Shahter wrote:

lowing wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Ok, so as a biker, getting knocked off a bike by flying debris occurs often enough to warrant a real concern then?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6429|'Murka

lowing wrote:

Shahter wrote:

lowing wrote:

Ok, so as a biker, getting knocked off a bike by flying debris occurs often enough to warrant a real concern then?
In Russia, road rides on you.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6170|what

lowing wrote:

Shahter wrote:

lowing wrote:

Rain. Sand. Dust. Leaves. Bugs.

All of the above can fly into the face of a biker and impair their riding. Isn't that reason enough?

And its ridiculous to equate road safety laws with a nanny state.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6793|Moscow, Russia

lowing wrote:

Shahter wrote:

lowing wrote:

according to my brother - yes. he was hit many times, his mates were hit many times, if not for protective equipment they use, it could definitely result in them being distracted and the results might very well have been unfortunate.

Last edited by Shahter (2011-07-07 03:43:13)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6793|Moscow, Russia

FEOS wrote:

In Russia, road rides on you.
that's kinda true, actually. the roads here suck ass.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

Shahter wrote:

All of the above can fly into the face of a biker and impair their riding. Isn't that reason enough?

Look, bikers ride for the freedom of the road, wind in their hair etc.. a helmet takes that freedom away from them and reduces the experience. They are fighting for the choice, they know what they want and what they are asking for. I see no problem letting them have it since it really does not affect anyone else.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6170|what

lowing wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

Look, bikers ride for the freedom of the road, wind in their hair etc.. a helmet takes that freedom away from them and reduces the experience. They are fighting for the choice, they know what they want and what they are asking for. I see no problem letting them have it since it really does not affect anyone else.
It does affect everyone else when debris hits them in the face and they fall off the bike.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

It does affect everyone else when debris hits them in the face and they fall off the bike.
and how often does that happen? Aussie you could what if this to death. Unless you got some seriously significant stats where SOMEONE ELSE was killed because a biker didn't wear a helmet, then stop trying to argue it.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5196|Sydney
I not sure what lowing is arguing here.

On one hand he's saying people are dumb for not wearing a helmet, and yet he's vigorously defending their right to be stupid, and potentially endanger other people.

lowing - championing idiocy since 2006
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5376|London, England

Jaekus wrote:

On one hand he's saying people are dumb for not wearing a helmet, and yet he's vigorously defending their right to be stupid, and potentially endanger other people.

They arent endangering anyone but themselves.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5196|Sydney

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Well, potentially they could. All sorts of random scenarios happen on the road, and something that could affect a rider's ability to focus/see/concentrate on the road ahead could cause them to endanger another motorist's life.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Well, potentially they could. All sorts of random scenarios happen on the road, and something that could affect a rider's ability to focus/see/concentrate on the road ahead could cause them to endanger another motorist's life.
No.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Y'all know why we have seat belt laws? Insurance companies lobbied for the requirement in order to lower their average payout. It's about the insurance companies bottom line, not because some politician cared terribly about saving people from themselves.

It's the same reason we ended up with 55 mph speed limits.

Last edited by Jay (2011-07-07 05:31:18)

-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6124|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Yeah they are, an out of control bike flying through your windscreen isn't a joke.
I've seen a biker lose control, let go of his bike and it went on to total a car.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Yeah they are, an out of control bike flying through your windscreen isn't a joke.
I've seen a biker lose control, let go of his bike and it went on to total a car.
And it was caused by him not wearing a helmet?
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6692|Canberra, AUS
Could be though if he's hit by a small rock or something at high speed.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard