lowing
Banned
+1,662|6653|USA

Spark wrote:

lowing wrote:

Spark wrote:

Uhhhh bad use of stats there. 60% of all fatalities were helmetless, yes, but what proportion of riders in total go helmetless? My suggestion is that they would be staggeringly over-represented in those statistics.
What difference does it make? IF they are not injured then they are not "COSTING" us anything.
I'll leave you to work that one out, it's a fairly basic part of any stats-based argument like this.  HINT: Raw numbers are often highly unrepresentative.
Not in the context of this argument, where injured dead people costing us being the issue. If they are not injured or dead, then there is no reason to count them as part of the equation.

The link based the numbers on ALL registered bikers for that year, that is all that is needed in the context of this discussion. 60% of them go helmet less and 41 percent wear one. If you are going to argue "COST", then all you need are the stats of those that COST you something and the non injured, be they helmet-less or equipped do not COST us anything.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

All the counter arguments I've been reading as to why one should be required to wear a helmet generally revolve around getting hit in the eye with something and losing control. It is readily apparent that those making that argument are unaware that, even if helmets are not required, proper eye protection is. In fact, even when wearing a helmet, if you don't have proper eye protection, you can be ticketed.
But thats stomping on people's freedom dude.
no more than requiring a vehicle to have a windshield is.

Dilbert_X wrote:

All these "safety of others" arguments regarding helmet use are nonsensical, tbf. Helmets protect one thing: the gray matter of the rider. They offer no safety for anyone or anything else, under any circumstances.
Its a marginal argument, but its still there.
A medium sized stone, or even insect, to the forehead at 70mph is going to distract you just as surely as a mote of dust in the eye.
That's where the whole "protecting the gray matter" bit comes in. And I can guarantee you, getting hit in the head by a rock at highway speed, even while wearing a helmet, will distract you. It's called riding skills.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
I dunno why you'd waste your time debating such a topic if you don't ride yourself tbh.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

Jaekus wrote:

I dunno why you'd waste your time debating such a topic if you don't ride yourself tbh.
I've ridden, off and on, for over 25 years.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
Oh, I'm not suggesting you hadn't.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
I only rode a scooter for about 6 months
13rin
+977|6481

lowing wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/motorcyclist-crashes-helmet-law-protest-dies-120444840.html

Biker dies from head injury on a motorcycle ride protesting helmet laws.
So, any of you riders out there NOT wear a helmet?
I still will wear my hat.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard