lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA
http://news.yahoo.com/motorcyclist-cras … 44840.html

Biker dies from head injury on a motorcycle ride protesting helmet laws.
So, any of you riders out there NOT wear a helmet?
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6512|Texas - Bigger than France
"The doctor felt that the death could have been prevented if he simply had been wearing a helmet," Jureller said. "He hit the brakes, lost control, was ejected and struck his head on the road. He suffered a skull fracture."

Damn the man
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6538|Mountains of NC

don't have to worry about his protesting anymore

should bury him with a helmet
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5672|College Park, MD
I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Yeah it's sad that the guy died but he chose to ride without a helmet, presumably aware of the risks. His own personal choice.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
13rin
+977|6449

lowing wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/motorcyclist-crashes-helmet-law-protest-dies-120444840.html

Biker dies from head injury on a motorcycle ride protesting helmet laws.
So, any of you riders out there NOT wear a helmet?
I have gone sans brain bucket before.  Not necessarily the smartest thing to do, but then again, neither is riding a motorcycle.   I now wear a helmet.  Badass one too.

But the in majority of motorcycle fatalities, the rider has an additional 5-6 other massive injuries that each alone would be considered fatal.  To my understanding, this was a low speed crash and he probably would have survived had he been wearing the helmet. 

Why do I now wear one?  If my demise is to occur on a motorcycle I don't want anyone saying to my wife, "well if he'd only had his helmet on."

Town lost a rider last week.  A fire truck responding to accident (where a different motorcycle v. car accident) turned left in front of the path of the bike and the guy was killed instantly.  He had no chance.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Surely you should admire his sense of personal responsibility, Lowing?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
i've had about 3 relatives die from motorcycle crashes and i can personally attest to the fact that helmets didn't save any of them.

in fact one of them that was wearing a helmet was made worse... he was left severely braindamaged, and jumped off one of j'bergs highest buildings shortly after.

if you're riding a motorbike, you're dead meat, anyway. it just depends on how pretty you want your corpse to be.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
I always wore a helmet, which is ironic because I normally wore shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops while riding in the summer. Whole lot of good the helmet would've done me after I'd gotten every last inch of skin shredded from my body
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6538|Mountains of NC

your hair would look good
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SEREMAKER wrote:

your hair would look good
True.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
a helmet has prevented gravel burn on my face. I like them.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438
Once I was riding my bicycle, and a tree branch fell on my. I would have likely sustained a sizable injury had I not been wearing my helmet.

Actually come to think about it, that happened twice.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
How does a random tree branch fall on you? Twice?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

a helmet has prevented gravel burn on my face. I like them.
I hit a patch of sand a week after I bought my bike, high sided, and landed on my face. Ruined my pretty mirrored visor
-Frederick Bastiat
13rin
+977|6449
Were you 'just going around the corner" Jay?

Kimm, I know a guy that totaled an aprilia on that windy ass road in the Carolinas.  Got into some gravel and washed out, smacked his face on the ground and slid across the pavement KO'd laid out in 'superman flying' looking position.  His face would have been gone.  He was concussed.  He's lucky he didn't get tangled up in the guard rail.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Nah, I was making a turn into the entrance for Best Buy and there was some sand left over from the winter on the pavement. Was only doing about 10mph when I went down but the helmet saved me at least a broken jaw
-Frederick Bastiat
13rin
+977|6449
How far were you from home?  Less than 10 miles?
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5444|Ventura, California

That's the part I'd hate about riding a motorcycle. Using the street as a cheese grater applied to your face/hands/knees/hips/butt/etc.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya

Uzique wrote:

i've had about 3 relatives die from motorcycle crashes and i can personally attest to the fact that helmets didn't save any of them.

in fact one of them that was wearing a helmet was made worse... he was left severely braindamaged, and jumped off one of j'bergs highest buildings shortly after.

if you're riding a motorbike, you're dead meat, anyway. it just depends on how pretty you want your corpse to be.
It all depends on how you ride the motorbike as well. Almost everyone in my extended family, and most of my friends ride motorbikes and none of us have ever had a fatal accident.

A helmet has probably saved my life before, and a helmet has saved my dad's life as well so I'm all for them.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

13rin wrote:

About a half hour, why?
-Frederick Bastiat
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5444|Ventura, California
I lost control of an ATV and whacked the top of my head against a barn wall really hard. So the helmet really helped a lot there.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Yeah it's sad that the guy died but he chose to ride without a helmet, presumably aware of the risks. His own personal choice.
The point of this thread is to find out if people think helmet laws are intrusion on personal lives by govt.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
lol
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

The point of this thread is to find out if people think helmet laws are intrusion on personal lives by govt.
They are, but you'd be an idiot not to wear one anyway.
-Frederick Bastiat
13rin
+977|6449

Jay wrote:

13rin wrote:

About a half hour, why?
I had just read that most people who fall are in their comfort zone of only a few miles away where they're staying.  As I've ridden with similar attire to yours, it has usually been a quick trip up to the store.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard