tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6174|Sydney | ♥

Jay wrote:

KingCheese wrote:

prototype wrote:

I pay for the cable connection so theres that plus all my room mates do is browse the web/email etc
Doesn't seem like that selfish a guy if he pays for the connection.  I'd say it's his right to do what he wants with it.
If he pays for the entire thing, I would have no problem with shutting down their link completely while he plays. I seriously doubt he pays the entire bill though. In that case, all he deserves is equal access, not priority.
nyeh

bleh

ergh

that's what i've been saying all along!

That is the REASON for QoS!

NYIEH!!
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6584|England
Oh if he doesn't pay the whole bill, sure equal is fair but if he pays for the whole shebang I'd say he's being generous in sharing his internetz.
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

KingCheese wrote:

Oh if he doesn't pay the whole bill, sure equal is fair but if he pays for the whole shebang I'd say he's being generous in sharing his internetz.
Absolutely. All he said was that he's the superuser, as in, it's his name on the account and the router is in his room. That means shit if they're all paying an equal amount for the connection.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

tazz. wrote:

Jay wrote:

KingCheese wrote:

Doesn't seem like that selfish a guy if he pays for the connection.  I'd say it's his right to do what he wants with it.
If he pays for the entire thing, I would have no problem with shutting down their link completely while he plays. I seriously doubt he pays the entire bill though. In that case, all he deserves is equal access, not priority.
nyeh

bleh

ergh

that's what i've been saying all along!

That is the REASON for QoS!

NYIEH!!
QoS would dump his packets in the front of the line which would mean he's giving himself priority.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6174|Sydney | ♥

which, as a result, would create a balance and equality over the connection.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

tazz. wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree. I believe 'first come, first served' is equality. Any sort of prioritization is not.
-Frederick Bastiat
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6174|Sydney | ♥

Jay wrote:

tazz. wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree. I believe 'first come, first served' is equality. Any sort of prioritization is not.
Full equality in my mind is limiting all nodes to exactly their percentage.

If there are 2 nodes, 50% each, 3 nodes 1/3 etc.

Obviously this is inefficient, and thus why QoS was invented.

w/e though.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6738|Toronto | Canada

Jay wrote:

KingCheese wrote:

Absolutely. All he said was that he's the superuser, as in, it's his name on the account and the router is in his room. That means shit if they're all paying an equal amount for the connection.

prototype wrote:

I pay for the cable connection so theres that plus all my room mates do is browse the web/email etc
mikkel
+383|6600
Well, this is a mind-numbingly stupid argument. Service-based scheduling exists solely because all applications aren't created equal, so it's unproductive to argue that FIFO switching in any multi-service environment is fair.

Online gaming represents flows that are low in throughput, but very sensitive to delay and jitter. Video streaming represents flows that are high in throughput, and not at all sensitive to delay or jitter if the capacity available consistently exceeds the throughput requirements. By definition, video streaming creates a flow that is disruptive to the network, particularly to latency and jitter sensitive applications, and by using service-based scheduling, this particular problem can be mitigated (at least to the degree possible without end-to-end prioritisation) with no noticeable negative impact on the disruptive application. Everybody wins.

Jay claims to have "a problem with a selfish no life having a negative impact on his roommates so he could burrow even further into his antisocial coccoon," but he'd likely remain fairly indifferent even if he spent a bit of time thinking about the circumstances and came to a sensible conclusion. That's because Jay doesn't really care about service quality, or fairness in scheduling, or even the topic at hand. Rather, Jay is just a very bitter person who likes to dig into people whenever he sees the chance, and he doesn't really care whether he's right or wrong, as long as he can pack enough insults into his posts.

Last edited by mikkel (2011-06-30 10:26:56)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6567|NYC / Hamburg

ffs
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
prototype
+52|6310
Thank you all for the replies, except for Jay that is
lots of good info came out of the fighting, which was not intended but helpful, except for Jays input.

Like I said at the start of this, I actually do pay for the cable connection (20MB down/1MB up)
I let my room mates use it because they usually dont cause me probs but lately they are slowing me down.

QoS seems to work great and now I can game myself away into an antisocial cocoon of bliss, where the beer flows like water and the smell of herb permiates the air all hours of the night.

Jay, if you hate video games so much why do you visit and post on a gaming forum ?

Thanks again for all the helpful info

Last edited by prototype (2011-06-30 11:01:07)

Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4967|Dundee, Scotland.
Hahahahaha, Jay showing his complete ignorance on this topic had me in stitches.

It's not that hard to grasp, jesus
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I understand it perfectly. I just don't agree with its application when it comes at the expense of others. Trying to convince the lot of you that video games aren't a priority is like trying to push a boulder uphill.
-Frederick Bastiat
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Jay wrote:

I understand it perfectly.
What's the problem then?
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6652
Jay you are being unbelievably fucking obtuse

have you even read the replies in this thread?

Last edited by Lucien (2011-06-30 11:27:02)

https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

Jay wrote:

I understand it perfectly. I just don't agree with its application when it comes at the expense of others. Trying to convince the lot of you that video games aren't a priority is like trying to push a boulder uphill.
QOS as it relates to video games is not about giving it priority.  It's about keeping something else from hogging everything.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Lucien wrote:

I have. Tazz and king were reasonable, and everyone else jumped all over me because they didn't like what I had to say.
-Frederick Bastiat
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Jay wrote:

Lucien wrote:

I have. Tazz and king were reasonable, and everyone else jumped all over me because they didn't like what I had to say.
What, they didn't agree with you reasoning that because someone wants to stream a youtube video that's gonna disrupt someone playing a game even though there's a perfectly acceptable solution to aid all involved, they should get to stream said video and fuck everyone else?? Wow, imagine having a problem with that?

You felt that OP was being an unreasonable, greedy dick, but in actual fact, you're the unreasonable greedy dick!
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6174|Sydney | ♥

Jay wrote:

jitter and latency dependent programs = high priority afaik.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Thread needs to calm the hell down.

Limiting bandwidth is fair if nobody else is helping to pay for it. It's unfair if they're compensating for that by throwing more money into other shared things than you are. Either way, it is douchey if taken too far.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Thread needs to calm the hell down.

Limiting bandwidth is fair if nobody else is helping to pay for it. It's unfair if they're compensating for that by throwing more money into other shared things than you are. Either way, it is douchey if taken too far.
Thank you.
-Frederick Bastiat
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6174|Sydney | ♥

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

if taken too far.
NOT using QoS would be taking it too far.

Limiting them to, like i said, 50% of the bandwidth perm.

QoS is the solution
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

tazz. wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

if taken too far.
NOT using QoS would be taking it too far.

Limiting them to, like i said, 50% of the bandwidth perm.

QoS is the solution
No, wait, it's not! Cause Jay said so.

Seriously though, QoS help massively
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6174|Sydney | ♥

Look, take this example..

A business comes to me and says, hey, it seems our voip isn't working very well very randomly becomes unclear and jittery

The first thought that comes into mind is that people are accessing websites, and a proper setup has not been setup to assist the packets that need to be assisted (voip)

Last edited by tazz. (2011-06-30 11:40:14)

bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6311

Ntwrkng = srs bsns

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard