UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5027|Massachusetts, USA

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Sunday, December 7th, 1941--Admiral Chester Nimitz was attending a concert in Washington D.C.  He was paged and told there was a phone call for him.  When he answered the phone, it was President Franklin Delano Roosevelt on the
phone.  He told Admiral Nimitz that he (Nimitz) would now be the Commander of the Pacific Fleet.

Admiral Nimitz flew to Hawaii to assume command of the Pacific Fleet.  He landed at Pearl Harbor on Christmas Eve, 1941.  There was such a spirit of despair, dejection and defeat--you would have thought the Japanese had already won the war.  On Christmas Day, 1941, Adm. Nimitz was given a boat tour of the destruction wrought on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese.  Big sunken battleships and navy vessels cluttered the waters every where you looked. As the tour boat returned to dock, the young helmsman of the boat asked, "Well Admiral, what do you think after seeing all this destruction?"  Admiral Nimitz's reply shocked everyone within the sound of his voice.  Admiral Nimitz said, "The Japanese made three of the biggest mistakes an attack force could ever make or God was taking care of America.  Which do you think it was?"  Shocked and surprised, the young helmsman asked, "What do mean by saying the Japanese made the three biggest mistakes an attack force ever made?"

Nimitz explained.  Mistake
number one: the Japanese attacked on Sunday morning. Nine out of every ten crewmen of those ships were ashore on leave. If those same ships had been lured to sea and been sunk--we would have lost 38,000 men instead of 3,800.

Mistake number two: when the Japanese saw all those battleships lined in a row, they got so carried away sinking those battleships, they never once bombed our dry docks opposite those ships. If they had destroyed our dry docks, we would have had to tow everyone of those ships to America to be repaired.  As it is now, the ships are in shallow water and can be raised. One tug can pull them over to the dry docks, and we can have them repaired and at sea by the time we could have towed them to America. And I already have crews ashore anxious to man those ships.

Mistake number three: every drop of fuel in the Pacific theater of war is in top of the ground storage tanks five miles away over that hill.  One attack plane could have strafed those tanks and destroyed our fuel supply.  That's why I say the Japanese made three of the biggest mistakes an attack force could make or God was taking care of America..
I got this email today.
Don't believe everything you get in an email, especially one with so many grammar mistakes.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5990|...
I very much doubt the accuracy of that email.
inane little opines
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6723|Cambridge, England

Shocking wrote:

Substantiate it? 92% of the railway system used by the russians, including trains, were supplied through lend-lease. 10 million people could have been fed for over 4 years by lend-lease food supplies. More than half of all explosives manufactured and used by the Russians were supplied for by the lend-lease.

I could go on, those 3 alone account for a very significant help in the war effort. Without them, the USSR would have had many starving to death, no logistical support on their land to speak of and less than half as many explosives.

cheeky wrote:

Agreed to a point. Who is the war in Libya between?
The rebels (whoever they may be) + NATO vs Gadaffi and his supporters.
So which is Gadaffis main opposition Nato or the rebels? Or are we saying that a bunch of rebels razzing around in pickup trucks is equivalent to the billions NATO is spending on the conflict with all the air support / training / etc? Before we actively started to enforce the no fly zone it would have been fair to say that it was a civil war that we were trying to influence the out come but as we were not militarily active it was not NATOs war yes? Is WWII really that different? UK + USA are picking their side (USSR) and doing everything they can to help them win the conflict but until the allies are committing a comparable force its still a USSR v Germany situation.

eleven bravo wrote:

you do know the US had more military casualties than the UK, right?
Yes... Britain had double the casualties of the US on the western front but US lost 200k in pacific. Point remains that WWII was between USSR and Germany and the western front was the straw that broke the donkeys back.

Uzique wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

W. Churchill: "Red Army decided the fate of German militarism"
What does he know?
probably a lot more than you, the undergrad, right? i mean he was one of the MAJOR WORLD LEADERS IN THE CONFLICT
I dont understand. I quoted Churchill because he was one of the major leaders.

I feel im flogging a dead horse here, so shall we move on.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5465|Ventura, California

Shocking wrote:

I very much doubt the accuracy of that email.
I do too. I posted it here hoping one of you guys might know anything about those dry docks and the oil tanks.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5990|...
The reason why fewer people died on the western front than on the eastern was because an ocean separated Hitler from the western powers, no such luck for the Russians. I had already explained this. The Russians bore the brunt of the Wehrmacht attack, I already explained this too. In terms of air power losses the theaters were quite evenly split, and in terms of naval losses the western front was responsible for nearly all of them. On land equipment it's measured that the western allies lost around 40,000 tanks and self-propelled guns and the Germans around 10,000 more. The soviets lost double that amount being almost 100,000 tanks and self-propelled guns. Nevertheless, most of the infantry fighting occured in the eastern front and accounted for the majority of dead German and Russian soldiers. Which is to be expected, western allies didn't set foot in western Europe until late 1943 / 1944.

I've already refuted your post which stated that the soviets could have done without lend-lease and other supplies brought by the western powers (which really was utter bollocks by the way) and pointed towards the fact that England and the US weren't landlocked with mainland Europe thus complicating the western theater for the Germans. Yet, solely because more people died, ignoring ALL different aspects of the war and the principal facts separating the theaters (and what these meant for both the German and allied forces) you stick to your claim that mother Russia saved Europe. I don't know why.

I'm done. Keep pointing to your casualty graphs if it makes you happy. The Churchill quote in his correspondence with the USSR really helped the argument by the way, as does comparing WW2 to fucking Libya.
inane little opines
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

Would you have rather lived in West Germany or the USSR after the end of WWII?
lol This is really stupid. It's obvious that it's stupid because you had to say West Germany instead of Germany.
Right, because East Germany was shredded by the USSR. And it's not stupid because you know which you would pick. To say that the USSR was better off because it was rapidly industrialized by Stalin is a complete joke. Would you say the people were happier before or after? Are the few factories enough to justify the millions of dead? The famines? I know you don't give a fuck about human life, but surely you can understand happiness? Happiness does not include living in a world where you have to worry about your neighbor offering you up to the Cheka for another pound of flour. We tend to judge our leaders by the 'what have you done for me lately?' creedo. Well, Stalin brought his people fear and death. The factories don't provide an offset for even one of those deaths.
Well obviously up to a million East Germans chose to move to West Germany in 1990
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6402|'Murka

Shahter wrote:

Shocking wrote:

The USSR was heavily reliant on western supplies; materials, weapons, vehicles, in enormous numbers.
about 5% of total stuff produced and used in the war by ussr. an enormous part!
The USSR was highly dependent on rail transportation, but the war practically shut down rail equipment production: only about 92 locomotives were produced. 2,000 locomotives and 11,000 railcars were supplied under Lend-Lease. Likewise, the Soviet air force received 18,700 aircraft, which amounted to about 14% of Soviet aircraft production (19% for military aircraft).[14]

Although most Red Army tank units were equipped with Soviet-built tanks, their logistical support was provided by hundreds of thousands of U.S.-made trucks. Indeed by 1945 nearly two-thirds of the truck strength of the Red Army was U.S.-built. Trucks such as the Dodge 3/4 ton and Studebaker 2½ ton, were easily the best trucks available in their class on either side on the Eastern Front. American shipments of telephone cable, aluminium, canned rations, and clothing were also critical.[15]
SOURCE

Statistics are an interesting animal. If you cut it up so it's only 5% of the total of war materiel, that might be accurate overall. But that 5% may be extremely critical.

67% of trucks were supplied by LL
19% of military aircraft were supplied by LL
Nearly all rail assets were supplied by LL

The first and last examples are especially telling. If an army can't move or supply its troops, it is ineffective. One thing the Red Army did amazing well was move. How well would it have done that without trucks or rail to provide logistics support?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6402|'Murka

Varegg wrote:

If anyone has a onesided view of anything this thread shows that to be you Shahter ...

Shahter wrote:

let's look at some heroic deeds by the west which allowed them to ascend to their current position of "enlightened and progressive", shall we?

"holy wars"
racism.
slavery.
genocide.
i dunno how to call what they did in the colonies in one word. atrocities? bloody mess?

i can't be assed to actually go look for fancier words in my dictionary, so i'll leave it like this.

what do your "morals" would have say about all that? i, personally, find that a lot more abhorrent than what stalin did, because the west didn't do any of that out of desperation and surrounded by enemies - only for wealth, power and influence. you killed millions, pillaged the whole nations, destroyed the whole cultures, and now you point a finger at the man who, among other things, led his nation to victory over your most horrible creation - the nazism.

hello there.
How does this have anything to do with Stalins atrocities during the war? We are discussing WW2 in this thread, not slavery in the US, not holy wars, not genocide or racism before or after WW2
Russians participated in holy wars and genocide as well. Guess you have to take those off the list. Probably racism and slavery, too. Early human nature, tbh.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

I haven't seen the Pacific campaign mentioned yet.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6766|Moscow, Russia
they still haven't finished trying to apologize for what they did (or didn't) on western front. when they finished beating their chest with regards to that, i'm sure pacific will be brought in.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
FEOS
+1,182|6402|'Murka

Who's "they"?
― Albert Einstein

11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5228|Cleveland, Ohio

Varegg wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

ah.  didnt know that.

so what would you like to discuss now?

what was his favorite color?  (colour)
SA Brown ... anything else?

This thread was started as a result of the subject Hitler came up in another thread, it was a good debate (nothing you would recognize if it hit you in the face) thus a new thread was warranted ...
do you think the US should have stayed out of WWII?  or at least just went to war with Japan?

and dont act all high and mighty while taking cheap shots, hommie.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5465|Ventura, California
You guys think the U.S. should have attacked the Philippines or completely avoided them? I saw a documentary on the military channel (which I hate by the way) where they said the U.S. should have just bypassed them and focused on other islands.

Do you guys know what I'm talking about? I forget what they would have done otherwise, dang it, my mind is blank right now!
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6766|Moscow, Russia

FEOS wrote:

Who's "they"?
i was initially replying to varegg's post about "gestapo not being that bad", but then you got in along with the rest of "usa, fuck yeah!"-ers.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5990|Vortex Ring State

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Sunday, December 7th, 1941--Admiral Chester Nimitz was attending a concert in Washington D.C.  He was paged and told there was a phone call for him.  When he answered the phone, it was President Franklin Delano Roosevelt on the
phone.  He told Admiral Nimitz that he (Nimitz) would now be the Commander of the Pacific Fleet.

Admiral Nimitz flew to Hawaii to assume command of the Pacific Fleet.  He landed at Pearl Harbor on Christmas Eve, 1941.  There was such a spirit of despair, dejection and defeat--you would have thought the Japanese had already won the war.  On Christmas Day, 1941, Adm. Nimitz was given a boat tour of the destruction wrought on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese.  Big sunken battleships and navy vessels cluttered the waters every where you looked. As the tour boat returned to dock, the young helmsman of the boat asked, "Well Admiral, what do you think after seeing all this destruction?"  Admiral Nimitz's reply shocked everyone within the sound of his voice.  Admiral Nimitz said, "The Japanese made three of the biggest mistakes an attack force could ever make or God was taking care of America.  Which do you think it was?"  Shocked and surprised, the young helmsman asked, "What do mean by saying the Japanese made the three biggest mistakes an attack force ever made?"

Nimitz explained.  Mistake
number one: the Japanese attacked on Sunday morning. Nine out of every ten crewmen of those ships were ashore on leave. If those same ships had been lured to sea and been sunk--we would have lost 38,000 men instead of 3,800.

Mistake number two: when the Japanese saw all those battleships lined in a row, they got so carried away sinking those battleships, they never once bombed our dry docks opposite those ships. If they had destroyed our dry docks, we would have had to tow everyone of those ships to America to be repaired.  As it is now, the ships are in shallow water and can be raised. One tug can pull them over to the dry docks, and we can have them repaired and at sea by the time we could have towed them to America. And I already have crews ashore anxious to man those ships.

Mistake number three: every drop of fuel in the Pacific theater of war is in top of the ground storage tanks five miles away over that hill.  One attack plane could have strafed those tanks and destroyed our fuel supply.  That's why I say the Japanese made three of the biggest mistakes an attack force could make or God was taking care of America..
I got this email today.
lol

a quick search revealed this

"On the morning of 31 December, in ceremonies on board USS Grayling (SS-209) at Pearl Harbor Submarine Base, Admiral Chester W. Nimitz took over command of the Pacific Fleet from Pye and awarded medals to veterans of early combat."
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5990|...

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Who's "they"?
i was initially replying to varegg's post about "gestapo not being that bad", but then you got in along with the rest of "usa, fuck yeah!"-ers.
inane little opines
FEOS
+1,182|6402|'Murka

Shahter wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Who's "they"?
There is a distinct difference between saying one country won the war by itself (you) and saying it was a team effort (everyone else).

I'm not really sure how saying it was a team effort--especially when historical facts, to include those found in Russia, back that assessment--is being all "usa, fuck yeah!"

If anything, you're being "USSR, fuck yeah!" and ignoring history.
― Albert Einstein

eleven bravo
+1,399|5250|foggy bottom
anything that doesnt kiss stalins ass is automatically categorized as usa,fuck yeah
Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD
Japan, yes. Europe... well... the non-interventionist in me says no but fuck man. I can't imagine how many millions more would have died if Hitler had not been put in check by the Allies.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5228|Cleveland, Ohio

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Japan, yes. Europe... well... the non-interventionist in me says no but fuck man. I can't imagine how many millions more would have died if Hitler had not been put in check by the Allies.
ya but at that time the republicans did not want to do anything in europe.  the dems were trying everything to get the US invloved.  i think we should have stayed out of europe tbh.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6559|Mountains of NC

stayed out, no

we needed WWII .... everybody loves a good fight and this thing was to epic for us to stay out
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6766|Moscow, Russia

m3thod wrote:

i think they should have stayed out and let germany conquer the shit out of eurasia.

then Nazi's vs USA would have been an swesome fight of which the USA would have lost.
13rin
+977|6470

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Apparently the euros that frequent the forums pretend that the war was all but won by russia by the time they entered it.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Uh didn't Germany declare war on the U.S. after we declared war on Japan? Can't stay out of Europe in that case.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Nvm, forgot about lend lease. Disregard me.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard