coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6714|England. Stoke
What GFX card do you have?
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6781|Moscow, Russia

Kampframmer wrote:

I ran memtest today up to 10 passes with 0 errors.

But yeah, if all else fails i'll reinstall windows (upgrade it from vista to 7 as well while im at it)
10 may not be enough, especially considering how seldom your problem occurs. leave memtest to run overnight.
after that run hdd tests. it's better to be sure before you start doing some radical things with your system.

Last edited by Shahter (2011-06-26 22:37:50)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4848|Amsterdam
I ran memtest overnight, it got to 11 passes with 0 errors.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6781|Moscow, Russia
hdd then. go to your hdd manufacturer' site, download an utility, run the tests.

if that turns okay, reinstall. vista has to go anyway, so you'll be doing something right for sure.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4848|Amsterdam
now to find out who my manufacturer is
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6781|Moscow, Russia
rmb on the drive icon in explorer, properties, hardware tab, google what you see.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4848|Amsterdam
My hdd is called array i think.
When googling for a stresst test it recommended this inquisitor program. It wasnt a .exe or anything, so i do i have to boot it again or what?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4848|Amsterdam
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6781|Moscow, Russia
wow, lol. okay, make a screenshot of a hardware tab and post here.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4848|Amsterdam
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/56161/hardware.jpg
Maybe i'm looking at the wrong thing here.
I checked the properties of my C-drive, should be the right one right?

Maybe im just being stupid here
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6781|Moscow, Russia

Kampframmer wrote:

http://static.bf2s.com/files/user/56161/hardware.jpg

don't worry, it's all fine, it is just that you seem to have a RAID array installed in your PC. awesome stuff, actually, it usually means that your data is quite safe and protected from any hardware failures, so you should probably skip the hdd tests . what that also means is that you may have to download a driver for that array and feed it to your system during the reinstall - keep that in mind.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4848|Amsterdam

Shahter wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

don't worry, it's all fine, it is just that you seem to have a RAID array installed in your PC. awesome stuff, actually, it usually means that your data is quite safe and protected from any hardware failures, so you should probably skip the hdd tests . what that also means is that you may have to download a driver for that array and feed it to your system during the reinstall - keep that in mind.
alrighty then.

Im not going to reinstall windows yet, as it is quite a hassle to do.

I'll do it once i start ugrading my PC again (should be right before bf3 comes out)
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4973|Dundee, Scotland.

Kampframmer wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

alrighty then.

I'll do it once i start ugrading my PC again (should be right before bf3 comes out)
pffft, hassle, I installed a fresh w7 install in about 30 minutes
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4848|Amsterdam

Camm wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

Shahter wrote:

alrighty then.

the install isnt a hassle. Installing all the shit i used to have on my pc is.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4973|Dundee, Scotland.

Kampframmer wrote:

Camm wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

alrighty then.

the install isnt a hassle. Installing all the shit i used to have on my pc is.
Ta-da!
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4848|Amsterdam
still a hassle
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4848|Amsterdam
Sort of have to bump this thread.
So i was pretty convinced that reinstalling windows would fix my shit, but another problem has appeared.
Every now and then (a lot more uncommon than the freezing) my PC just doesnt start up when i turn it on, it just starts to whir real loud and it get faster and louder and faster and louder and i turn it off real quick because, well, doesnt seem like a good idea to keep it whirring at its maximum, sounded like it was gonna blow.

And my graphics cars sometimes also makes a loud whirring that doesnt stop until i reboot it.

Still think this can all be solved by uninstalling windows?
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6781|Moscow, Russia
what gfx card you have?

first, you need to find out what "whirrs real loud". it may very well be just one of the fans got too noisy for the wear. open the case, leave it open, and next time you hear the sound don't turn it off but look inside and try to tell what makes the noise.

second, what do you mean "doesn't start up"? did you wait long enough to be sure that it won't start up or every time you hear the noise you just freak out and turn it off right away?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4848|Amsterdam
I already did the whole open case thing and noticed it was the fan on the card. Doesnt stop until i reboot.

Yeah, i waited long enough. Before windows has even started up the screen stays black and its like that for quite some time, because i have left it running till it hit its max 2 times now to check if it didnt start up regardless of the whirring. But it didnt.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4848|Amsterdam
ATI Radeon HD 5800 series btw.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6781|Moscow, Russia
"HD 5800 series"? do you have the original catalyst drivers from ati/amd installed or do you use a stub provided by microsoft? "series" implies latter. ???
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4848|Amsterdam
Pretty sure i have the original.
Is there away i could check that?
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6781|Moscow, Russia
anyway, first i'd check if the problem is indeed with the gfx card. do you have a spare one? or maybe you can borrow one from a friend?
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6781|Moscow, Russia

Kampframmer wrote:

Pretty sure i have the original.
Is there away i could check that?
rmb on the desktop - is there a "catalyst" option?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4848|Amsterdam
nope.
Only one i have. I gave the old one away a long time ago. But the gfx card whirring isnt the biggest issue because sure the sound is annoying, but my pc runs just fine. I reboot it it because the sounds gets really fucking annoying after 5 minutes.

The black screen and increasing whirring (which is not from my gfx card, but i think form my processor cooler) are a much bigger issue.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard