Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6000|...
I really really don't like reading studying material from a computer monitor tbh. Dunno why but I just can't stand it.

pen & paper all the way.
inane little opines
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Shahter wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

There's an almost mnemonic quality to simply writing something out rather than clacking away at a keyboard. Sharing notes on a regular basis isn't doing anyone long-term favors.
this^. taking notes is a skill in itself. a very useful one.
I'd also like to revise that to "there is a mnemonic quality to simply writing something out rather than clacking away at a keyboard."

Often I don't remember all the stuff I've typed from one day to the next, but I can dig through my brain and find almost entire sheets of memorized written material. And if my memory's foggy about it, I can look at the sheet and what I was thinking about when I was writing comes back to me almost instantaneously, whereas I sometimes have to sit and puzzle out typed material.

OP: So even with a laptop at hand, I'd still recommend a pen and a notebook [paper ]. After awhile, you'll learn to write the important stuff down and save your hands/wrists the strain of writing out all the unnecessary grammar that goes along with it. If you haven't done much of it in school, you should probably read up on effective note-taking.
i wrote my notes down.. and no one can read them! ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa!
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6447|Amsterdam‫
i only used my netbook for 1 course, that that was because i had the PDF and the netbook was 1.1KG and the book was 4KG. the book is XBOX huge

Last edited by menzo (2011-06-20 15:29:38)

https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717
i dont get why profs ban laptops at uni... everyone has a different note taking style. I just add comments to my lecture notes on powerpoint and thats about it or type shit out. I type faster than I write. But for math and science... go pen and paper.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
profs ban laptops because a) they're fucking noisy, b) it's not much fun lecturing to the back of a laptop, c) the internet/computers are a huge distraction, whereas a pen and paper aren't (doodles notwithstanding). i'd be pissed too if i'd trained for 8 years to reach a lectureship position and then had to spend my days talking to a bunch of 18 year old morons engrossed in farmville and checking their facebook picture comments.

and i type about 4x faster than i write... that doesn't mean anything. when i write notes, they're absorbed better. touch typing is a mechanical action - thoughtless, easy, detached - whereas writing and formulating sentences with a pen somehow involves a little more engagement and cognition. don't quote me on the science behind that but i think newbie is onto something with his mnemonics-of-writing. there's a reason why people for years and years have recommended copying/re-writing notes as a primary revision technique.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-06-21 02:23:00)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

That makes sense. I remember having to type out papers that I had previously hand written before turning them in. I felt robot like. Nothing was being re-absorbed. It was just a chore.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717
at uni they just tell people to turn the sounds off for laptops and you look like a dickhead if youre really loud anyway. my handwriting is terrible, and i mean absolutely terrible i cant even read the shit myself half the time.

if youre on facebook and fucking off during your lectures then its really your loss... most people who show up to lectures dont do that since they could do shit at home or not show up to the lecture at all.

rewriting notes do help with revision a lot id have to agree with that.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717
most annoying thing at uni is when people talk on the phone and shit... most of the times the profs turn on the cell phone blockers.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
if you reach university and you still don't have handwriting that's legible to even yourself then i think you have bigger issues than your choice of lecture-tool... how did examiners mark your work if your handwriting looks like an autistic child having a heart-attack plus stroke? sort it out. maybe get some writing lessons? over here i spent like an hour a day for my early primary education being forced to handwrite cursively and proportionally... a chore but now my handwriting is simply woooonderful and easy to read.

and yeah it's 'your loss' and 'your choice', &tc. but that doesn't mean it's not an annoyance for the lecturer. you can just do without laptops in lectures so i don't disagree with banning them-- same with mobile phones. you don't need to text your flatmate about last night's club antics in the hour you're in a lecture. it's annoying for the lecturer and for people around you; there was nothing more obnoxious for me in my 3 years of undergrad lectures than some prick with the latest iphone or ipad sat playing games and subtly showing off about his new toy. fuck that. be there to learn or fuck off... yeah, your choice... don't even go to the lecture then if all you're going to do is procrastinate. that was my method: didn't wanna be there? don't get out of bed in the first place. worked fine for my second-year where i pulled about 35% attendance.

oh and with 'noise on laptops' i was talking more about typing than anything else. macbooks have pretty plush and 'sponge' like keyboards and they still make a shitload of noise; i had a sony vaio in my first year and typing on that quietly was near-impossible. a pen makes zero noise. it's a no-brainer. not only are you taking in nowhere near as much information because typing is mindless, but you're distracting and affecting students around you with your constant clacking accompaniment to the lecturer's talking. no thanks, fuck off. as i said, i don't know how it is with compsci or math-science geek subjects, but in the arts there's just no excuse for having a laptop in a lecture.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
not to mention that with student fees over here and the average number of contact-hours per week, a lecture ends up costing like £250 for the hour...

that's an expensive facebook session!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717
i got a fractured finger on my right hand that makes my handwriting horrid when i write fast... yeah shit fucking sucks when i have to write for exams lol i just need to write REALLY REALLY goddamn slow. yeah i get marks off sometimes for neatness shit fucking sucks lol.

here in aussie its more practical to have a laptop since all of the lecture notes are online but you can print it and write them, to each and their own.

yeah i do find it annoying when people are texting or playing games on their phones... cell phone jammers work wonders to stop people from texting or calling. why bother showing up to the lecture in the first place just to fuck around.

the typing thing isnt that big of an issue since i would bet at least a good 50% of people dont show up to the lectures and we have huge lecture theatres and noise wasnt really much of an issue. but yeah usually when some twat is fucking around and distracting others they just get called out. loved it when my econ prof asked someone a question and the person couldnt respond to the topic he just explained. if people are in their own little world fucking off thats fine but when they start distracting others then that crosses the lines. the projectors at uni are pretty shit and sometimes they cram wayyy too much into a powerpoint slide and its just easier to read stuff from my laptop.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
we have online powerpoints and resources, too... but to me that's even less of a reason to take a laptop. you can hear the expert explain it to you, face-to-face, in the lecture theatre... surely the idea of web resources is that you can download them and revise from them anytime? i dunno... after 3 years of lecture-heavy teaching i have a long list of complaints about the format. i really love academic lectures in principle, but it's the other people you have to share it with that suck. undergrads are cunts.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Uzique wrote:

we have online powerpoints and resources, too... but to me that's even less of a reason to take a laptop. you can hear the expert explain it to you, face-to-face, in the lecture theatre... surely the idea of web resources is that you can download them and revise from them anytime? i dunno... after 3 years of lecture-heavy teaching i have a long list of complaints about the format. i really love academic lectures in principle, but it's the other people you have to share it with that suck. undergrads are cunts.
lulz. i just have the lecture notes on my lappy and just type my own notes on the bottom of powerpoint in the comment section.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Cybargs wrote:

i got a fractured finger on my right hand that makes my handwriting horrid when i write fast... yeah shit fucking sucks when i have to write for exams lol i just need to write REALLY REALLY goddamn slow. yeah i get marks off sometimes for neatness shit fucking sucks lol.
I understand. I had surgery on my right elbow. I was losing the feeling in the right hand and it was difficult to control my pressure (cubital tunnel). I started writing with my left after surgery and now I favor writing with my left over my right. I was fairly ambidextrous to begin with though .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
left-handedness is often associated with advanced systematizing ability or 'genius', though, owing to developments of testosterone changing the structure of the brain in the early stages of pre-gender foetalhood. so look on the bright-side, you now come across as being intelligent as well as 'mild' on the autistic spectrum.

that or gay. left-handed people are queer.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-06-21 02:57:33)

RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6566|Area 51

Uzique wrote:

not to mention that with student fees over here and the average number of contact-hours per week, a lecture ends up costing like £250 for the hour...

Then again the same goes for missing said lecture by lying in your bed!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
yeah but that was a case of my priorities being way fucked up... enjoying partying and wasting my life...

if you're going to make the effort to go to a lecture, at least pay attention and make it worth your time and effort...
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

RDMC wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Then again the same goes for missing said lecture by lying in your bed!
yeah least you dont annoy other people at school
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6776|Moscow, Russia
well... i right-handed but left-... ehmm... footed (is that the way to say that?) i mean, i'm a lefty when playing football. now, what, i'm half-genius?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6471
it's just a current theory about gender identity, shahter. there's a lot of speculation about the development of the brain in early foetal stages, before testosterone/oestrogen come into the equation. a high prevalence of testosterone changes the neurological structure of the brain, and excess amounts are a cause of infant autism. it often correlates with left-handedness, too, although of course this is a habit that can be trained or adopted over time.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6776|Moscow, Russia
k, i'ma gugol dat.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Uzique wrote:

left-handedness is often associated with advanced systematizing ability or 'genius', though, owing to developments of testosterone changing the structure of the brain in the early stages of pre-gender foetalhood. so look on the bright-side, you now come across as being intelligent as well as 'mild' on the autistic spectrum.

that or gay. left-handed people are queer.
Since I can use both maybe that means I'm batting both ways .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

profs ban laptops because a) they're fucking noisy, b) it's not much fun lecturing to the back of a laptop, c) the internet/computers are a huge distraction, whereas a pen and paper aren't (doodles notwithstanding). i'd be pissed too if i'd trained for 8 years to reach a lectureship position and then had to spend my days talking to a bunch of 18 year old morons engrossed in farmville and checking their facebook picture comments.

and i type about 4x faster than i write... that doesn't mean anything. when i write notes, they're absorbed better. touch typing is a mechanical action - thoughtless, easy, detached - whereas writing and formulating sentences with a pen somehow involves a little more engagement and cognition. don't quote me on the science behind that but i think newbie is onto something with his mnemonics-of-writing. there's a reason why people for years and years have recommended copying/re-writing notes as a primary revision technique.
There's something about the way the brain processes reading and writing, compared with typing.
Re-writing notes was the only revision process which worked for me.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6601|132 and Bush

Are you guys familiar with the 3 types of learners?
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard