Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4969|Dundee, Scotland.

a_reborn_vetaran wrote:

No, only 5x SATA 3 and (idk howmany) times PATA.
why not just buy a sata3 hdd then?
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5973|Belgium
Hehe, I will

the wd7502aaex hd.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya
When I recommended the i5 build I didn't realise how expensive parts were over there.

You can ask him if he is willing to stretch the budget. But if you are trying to cut costs I would get cheaper RAM (4GB), a cheaper case and a cheaper HDD rather than a cheaper CPU/Mobo. You can always easily upgrade HDDs or RAM later, but it is best to get the best possible CPU/Mobo at the time because those are the components you need to last.

But that's just my opinion after all.

EDIT:

By the way SATA 2 and SATA 3 are definitely compatible. I currently have a SATA2 Samsung F3 plugged into a SATA3 port on my motherboard.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2011-06-10 03:02:10)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6776|Moscow, Russia
i'm pretty sure sata3 interfaces should be backward compatible with sata2 devices.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5973|Belgium
I'm now calculating the exact price of the i5 build.

It'd be around 64 euro's more (which is 50 euro's above his budget) with a cheaper HDD.

I seriously wouldn't go for another, worse/cheaper, case since cases are of importance! Also going for less RAM... rather not. I'll suggest this to him.

Edit:

One thing that may be possible is to lower the expensive graphics card... But it's such a nice one. Or change brand... but I ain't familiar with some of them.

For example Powercolor. Is it the same service and such as Gigabyte?
Or what about Sapphire?

Last edited by a_reborn_vetaran (2011-06-10 03:12:12)

RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6566|Area 51

a_reborn_vetaran wrote:

I'm now calculating the exact price of the i5 build.

It'd be around 64 euro's more (which is 50 euro's above his budget) with a cheaper HDD.

I seriously wouldn't go for another, worse/cheaper, case since cases are of importance! Also going for less RAM... rather not. I'll suggest this to him.

Edit:

One thing that may be possible is to lower the expensive graphics card... But it's such a nice one. Or change brand... but I ain't familiar with some of them.

For example Powercolor. Is it the same service and such as Gigabyte?
Or what about Sapphire?
Just tell him to spend that 64 more and go with it.
a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5973|Belgium
I followed most of you guys' recommandations and this is what I've made out of it:

https://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3416/pcspecsv.png
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6566|Area 51

a_reborn_vetaran wrote:

I followed most of you guys' recommandations and this is what I've made out of it:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3416/pcspecsv.png
Why a 700 watt PSU? Seems a bit overkill to me.

The HD 6950 at peak power will only use 200 watts and according to this article, the i5 2500k with a GTX 580 will at peak consume 134 watts:

A processor like the Core i5 2500K for example consumes only 106 Watts, and that is with all cores stressed, and that's including an H67 chipset, one solid state drive, the memory and active cooler, no dedicated graphics card. Once that processor goes into an IDLE state (and again -- without a dedicated graphics card) we measure merely 34 Watts IDLE power consumption. And that's just crazy.

Unfortunately, once you insert a dedicated graphics card things change quickly. When we add a GeForce GTX 580 for example that IDLE power consumption jumps upwards to roughly 63 Watts with a wattage peak of 134W with the four processor cores stressed. That's still really good though.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2 … k-review/7

Wouldn't 600 watt perhaps 650 be plenty? Would also bring the pricing back onto budget. Don't know if anyone agrees with me here..

Last edited by RDMC (2011-06-10 09:41:31)

wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6461|UK
Obviously you need a processor with 200 million gigawatts.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6659|BC, Canada
That goes without saying
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya

a_reborn_vetaran wrote:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3416/pcspecsv.png
Looks good to me.

As said you could drop down to a 600w or 650w PSU if you wanted to save money, but if that's the PSU he has his mind set on then go for it.

I would still go for the 1TB Samsung F3, but the 750GB Black will do just fine.
a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5973|Belgium
Thanks guys, I appreciate it
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5611|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

a_reborn_vetaran wrote:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it
idk how much cost difference it would be, but I'd almost suggest cutting the case down to something like an Antec 300 or Cooler Master 590/690/690 II, if your friend hasn't bought yet.

It's mostly personal preference, but I don't like the looks of the case you chose, and I think the 300 would be less expensive, therefore that money could go elsewhere in the budget, and I think the 300's understated "plain black box" look is nice.
a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5973|Belgium
Yea well I just had a question again about the case - graphics card.

I just read that the case supports a maximal graphic card size of 11.5" / 292 mm.
Although I cannot find the dimensions of the graphic card itself on the internet.. I only find the box sizes for shipping ^^
So does some one knows the dimensions of the gfx card?

The case probably should be changed...

Last edited by a_reborn_vetaran (2011-06-14 01:21:50)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya
A google search shows that the HD6950 is 11"/27.5cm long. But I can't verify that, I just know my HD6970 measures in at about 28cm and they are apparently about the same size.

I know a HD6970 JUST fits in a Antec 300. I had to put one in an Antec 300 and it was a struggle, but there is a 1-2mm gap

It might be worth grabbing a bigger case just to save the struggle and improve airflow. But, if the budget can't stretch that far an Antec 300 will fit one... JUST...
a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5973|Belgium
Ok Antec 300 will do then ^^

Thanks for your concern little baby.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6659|BC, Canada
antec 300s are alright but still pretty crap.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6659|BC, Canada
What site are you buying from?
a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5973|Belgium
Zercom.com
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6659|BC, Canada
not a great selection there, but for your price range, from that site, Coolermaster CM690 II
a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5973|Belgium
Okay then this will be seriously the last adjustment I did!

It's gonna get ordered at Friday so.
https://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9237/pcspecsy.png

Last edited by a_reborn_vetaran (2011-06-15 01:36:05)

a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5973|Belgium
Alright so my friend has bought the setup that I've posted in my last post.

We've build the whole computer at Friday and installed Windows 7 and its required drivers.

Now my friend says that the game Starcraft 2 freezes randomly... I've told him to download the latest drivers for the GPU, but that didn't help apperantly.

Every fan is connected, nothing is overclocked, ... (so it was just a clean install, nothing special)
Any one has an idea of what may be the problem?

Last edited by a_reborn_vetaran (2011-06-26 09:15:32)

TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5981|Toronto
Reinstall?
I like pie.
a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5973|Belgium
Do you mean the game or the whole operating system?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard