a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5943|Belgium
Hello everyone,

My friend wants to buy himself a new pc for the future few years. He already has some components like the monitor, ...

All he needs are those components:
motherboard
cpu
ram
graphics card
hard disk
power supply
case

Currently he agreed to choose the following components which I recommended him:
https://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9237/pcspecsy.png

Now I'm not a 100% sure that this will be a decent price/performance trade, since I kinda took a sick graphics while the cpu is already some older.
What do you guys think? Would it be a good setup to buy or what should we change?

The budget is 750 euro's. (while the total price right now is 737 euro's)

Thanks for your time!
gurdeep
­
+812|4725|proll­y
get an ssd
robcr9
+111|5951
OMG, reborn, i check bf2s first time in ages and you're here, this is not a coincidence, why are you never on xfire anymore?
a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5943|Belgium
Hai Rob!!

I'm always on xfire... for all those years!
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

coolstorybro wrote:

get an ssd
^this.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5943|Belgium
Only an SSD, or an SSD and another (lower capacity) sata HDD?
he prolly means just a ssd. fasta fasta but dolla dolla
gurdeep
­
+812|4725|proll­y

a_reborn_vetaran wrote:

Only an SSD, or an SSD and another (lower capacity) sata HDD?
ssd and an external hd or 2
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
Why external? Internal's are cheaper.

SSD for games, Windows, etc. disc one for docs, other programs.

Few extra clicks when installing things, but great performance boost while keeping space for files.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6535|Area 51

robcr9 wrote:

OMG, reborn, i check bf2s first time in ages and you're here, this is not a coincidence, why are you never on xfire anymore?
oh shit its robcr.
robcr9
+111|5951

RDMC wrote:

robcr9 wrote:

oh shit its robcr.
haha hello RD
a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5943|Belgium
So, the other components will fit well together, so the Gfx card isn't an overexaguration for the cpu?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
Don't get AMD at the moment, they're so far behind it's not even funny.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya
HD6950 2GB
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Intel i5 2500K
ASUS P8P67-LE
Samsung F3 1TB
Corsair TX-650
Whatever case is best priced over there

I'm not sure how much that costs because I don't know what site to check it on for you Belgium/Euro folks, but this would be a much better option in my opinion.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4938|Dundee, Scotland.

Finray wrote:

Plus Bulldozer is coming out shortly, I've told 2 friends who plan on new builds to wait till then
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

HD6950 2GB
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Intel i5 2500K
ASUS P8P67-LE
Samsung F3 1TB
Corsair TX-650

I'm not sure how much that costs because I don't know what site to check it on for you Belgium/Euro folks, but this would be a much better option in my opinion.
This is what I would have said if I could be bothered writing.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

Finray wrote:

i somewhat disagree. looking at pure power/cost ratio i'd say amd and intel are fairly equal atm. however, if you count in intel's superior power/temperature management and, consequently, overclocking potential then yes, it's certainly ahead.
a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5943|Belgium

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

HD6950 2GB
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Intel i5 2500K
ASUS P8P67-LE
Samsung F3 1TB
Corsair TX-650

I do agree with:

the Hard drive is better and the price is cheaper.

I disagree with:

the i5 cpu...

It costs 70 euro's more and it has 100Mhz less frequency, and 1024Byte less L2 cache (other caches are equal)... The cpu will not be used for overclocking. Why would that one be better then?

the motherboard, since its for Intel then...

I'm not sure about the RAM you recommended, since they have the same capacity, same type, same speed and even the same latencies. (+ Vengeance is also Dual Channel configured and we're buying 2 pieces of them)

Thanks for your time to make the setup,

Reborn

Edit:
Actually I just found out that the current motherboard is SATA-3. So I think I should also take a SATA 3 harddisk. My choice came to this: WD Caviar black WD7502AAEX (=58 euro's). It's also faster, but does have 250GB less capacity.

Last edited by a_reborn_vetaran (2011-06-10 02:03:19)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia
you know, pure frequency does not directly translate into computing power. you can only use it for comparison if you look at the processing units of similar architecture, and even then there could be factors that must be taken into account, like units revision and so on. amd cpu you listed in the op is actually less powerful than i5 suggested by LBJ. look at the available cpu comparison charts on internetz and see for yourself.

p.s. that said, in performance/price ratio i5-2500k and phenom ii x4 965 would probably be about equal.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya
You can't compare them in simple Ghz/cache terms.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=288

As you can see, the i5 2500K significantly beats the x4 965 in every benchmark.

If you can't afford the i5 then the Phenom II will be good enough, but there is definitely a reason the i5 is more expensive...

As for the SATA 3 question, go for the cheaper drive. Mechanical 7200rpm drives are unable to saturate SATA2 bandwidth, so SATA3 gives little/no performance boost. SATA3 is really only relevant/helpful to high-end SSDs.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2011-06-10 02:28:02)

a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5943|Belgium
Ok so if I do go with the mobo and cpu I listed in the first post (AMD)... Then I do have a problem with connection the SATA's since it'r SATA 3 connectors on the mobo and a SATA 2 hard drive won't work with the SATA 3 connector?

What concerns the actual decision for the AMD or the Intel... I could ask him if he's up for paying significantly more for a higher performance. But then I'd have to search another motherboard too, which will be also more expensive?
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

a_reborn_vetaran wrote:

Ok so if I do go with the mobo and cpu I listed in the first post (AMD)... Then I do have a problem with connection the SATA's since it'r SATA 3 connectors on the mobo and a SATA 2 hard drive won't work with the SATA 3 connector?

What concerns the actual decision for the AMD or the Intel... I could ask him if he's up for paying significantly more for a higher performance. But then I'd have to search another motherboard too, which will be also more expensive?
a quick google tells me that you can plug sata2 hard drives in to sata 3 connectors on the mobo
a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5943|Belgium
I've also googled but found different stuff.

Sata3 hard drives would be backwards compatible with sata2 connectors, but not the other way around?
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

a_reborn_vetaran wrote:

I've also googled but found different stuff.

Sata3 hard drives would be backwards compatible with sata2 connectors, but not the other way around?
ok, but surely that motherboard has sata2 ports?
a_reborn_vetaran
+8|5943|Belgium
No, only 5x SATA 3 and (idk howmany) times PATA.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard