lowing
Banned
+1,662|6675|USA
short version is, an ex boyfriend puts up a billboard about his ex girl friends abortion.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/jilted-ex-bo … 42831.html

Does the guys free speech outweigh another's right to privacy?

I gotta go no, he has no right to conduct this sort of mental abuse, but where exactly is the line to be drawn?

Last edited by lowing (2011-06-07 09:55:22)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6740
he was probably a dickhead in the relationship to pull this move.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
jsnipy
+3,276|6546|...

lowing wrote:

Does  free speech outweigh another's right to privacy?
?
No, unless you are a celeb
ghettoperson
+1,943|6673

She should have taken out an injunction before she had the abortion.
Blue Herring
+13|4829

jsnipy wrote:

lowing wrote:

?
Hmm, good point. No one bitches at a court when Paparazzi snap a pic of some celebrity in sweat pants with no make-up on, or when those magazines write long articles about every facet of stupid pointless events in their lives, I wonder why this should be treated differently.

The toughest thing you're gonna see if fighting this billboard thing is drawing a line and making you sure draw it far enough to make this apply but not far enough to destroy free speech fundamentally.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6675|USA

Blue Herring wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

lowing wrote:

?
Hmm, good point. No one bitches at a court when Paparazzi snap a pic of some celebrity in sweat pants with no make-up on, or when those magazines write long articles about every facet of stupid pointless events in their lives, I wonder why this should be treated differently.

The toughest thing you're gonna see if fighting this billboard thing is drawing a line and making you sure draw it far enough to make this apply but not far enough to destroy free speech fundamentally.
It is different because celebrities sell their souls so to speak. They trade privacy for fame. The ex-girlfriend made no such deals. She is a private citizen and her medical history is not a public affair.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6720|NJ
that's fine, Mens Rights for the win. If he put her name on the billboard or his it'd be bad..
Blue Herring
+13|4829

lowing wrote:

Blue Herring wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

It is different because celebrities sell their souls so to speak. They trade privacy for fame. The ex-girlfriend made no such deals. She is a private citizen and her medical history is not a public affair.
I wasn't aware celebrities make deals with paparazzi. I'm aware that they know it's an inevitable consequence, I'm not so sure that they explicitly give the paparazzi the right to do so, however. In which case, it's not different, simply that the celebrities were expecting it and she was not.

Let me ask something else, what if he did this online instead? Paid to have a bunch of banners on various sites, made a url, proclaiming this? What if he just posted it on a bunch of high-traffic sites with millions of viewers? Is it different then? What makes it being a billboard that makes it unique?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6675|USA

Blue Herring wrote:

lowing wrote:

Blue Herring wrote:

I wasn't aware celebrities make deals with paparazzi. I'm aware that they know it's an inevitable consequence, I'm not so sure that they explicitly give the paparazzi the right to do so, however. In which case, it's not different, simply that the celebrities were expecting it and she was not.

Let me ask something else, what if he did this online instead? Paid to have a bunch of banners on various sites, made a url, proclaiming this? What if he just posted it on a bunch of high-traffic sites with millions of viewers? Is it different then? What makes it being a billboard that makes it unique?
celebrities feel there is no such thing as bad publicity. They know going in they are public figures and what that entails and are willing participants in it. The ex girl friend was not a willing player.

As for your question, the internet is no different. It is a loss of privacy and a gain of public humilation that is not warranted, regardless of the media avenue taken
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6521

Lisa Mendoza is a cunt.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5283|foggy bottom
there is no debate.  what if he decided to to post a billboard up of the herpes infection she gave him?  cant do shit like that.
Tu Stultus Es
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6521

Delainy Iris Meddow
cpt.fass1
+329|6720|NJ

eleven bravo wrote:

there is no debate.  what if he decided to to post a billboard up of the herpes infection she gave him?  cant do shit like that.
Yes you can?

Say your ex girlfriend is in a herpies commerical, doesn't have herpies, can you sue her for creating the illusion you might have herpies?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6675|USA

cpt.fass1 wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Yes you can?

Say your ex girlfriend is in a herpies commerical, doesn't have herpies, can you sue her for creating the illusion you might have herpies?
oh good god
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6521

https://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4014/022211billboard.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6796|PNW

"As distasteful and offensive as the sign may be to some, for over 200 years in this country the First Amendment protects distasteful and offensive speech," Todd Holmes said.
If it only showed the guy and not the gal or her name, I don't really see how she can win without pulling the fem card. It may be her body, but it was also his kid.

That said, I don't know what kind of relationship they had or if it was a drug baby.
cpt.fass1
+329|6720|NJ

lowing wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Yes you can?

oh good god
excatly it's all conjecture and doesn't matter...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5382|London, England
It's simply another form of bullying. In this case, he should receive a massive beat down from the woman's family. If she was my sister the guy would be in the hospital right now.

I believe in free speech. I also believe in consequences.

Last edited by Jay (2011-06-07 11:02:59)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5283|foggy bottom

cpt.fass1 wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Yes you can?
no you cant.

Last edited by eleven bravo (2011-06-07 11:35:49)

Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5283|foggy bottom
stupid shit like this is why i cant hate on the fact that we have so many lawsuits in this country
Tu Stultus Es
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6566|Texas - Bigger than France
Pretty clear case here.  Unless the chick was a public figure, then her right to privacy has been violated.  The ex-boyfriend is going to get his ass handed to him.

Even IF she was a public figure, this is questionable.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6714|Tampa Bay Florida
Well, regardless of whether its legal or not, we all can agree this guy is a tool.  No wonder the woman aborted her baby.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5610

If she isn't a celeb this could be ruled harrsement.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6675|USA

Jay wrote:

It's simply another form of bullying........... 

I believe in free speech. I also believe in consequences.
^^^this is exactly right. It is a form of bullying/harassment/mental abuse, and should not be protected.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6023|...
So what makes free speech worth limiting in this case and the westboro church funeral pickets and such okay?

Last edited by Shocking (2011-06-07 12:04:29)

inane little opines

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard