BVC
+325|6837
Population reduction would solve a lot of humanity's problems.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5616|Ventura, California
Meh, I live in California. When it gets bad the f**king retarded environmentalists will let us irrigate certain areas of the Central Valley again. As opposed to making hundreds lose their jobs to save a fking 1inch long fish nobody gives a crap about.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6743|132 and Bush

Pubic wrote:

How do we go about that? China's solution?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6858

Kmar wrote:

Pubic wrote:

take away peoples babies and put them up for adoption while pocketing the cash.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Wreckognize
+294|6627

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

The planet's not struggling. Life is.
Agree'd.  There's nothing humans can do that will irreversibly destroy the planet.  Sure, we may kill off ourselves and maybe a bunch of species, but mass extinctions are nothing new.  There's nothing we can do that a few hundred thousand years won't fix. 

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Meh, I live in California. When it gets bad the f**king retarded environmentalists will let us irrigate certain areas of the Central Valley again. As opposed to making hundreds lose their jobs to save a fking 1inch long fish nobody gives a crap about.
Fucking christ someone get shitty some crayons so he can express himself in a more appropriate fashion.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6743|132 and Bush

Cybargs wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Pubic wrote:

lol.. that will go over real smooth like.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6858

Kmar wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Kmar wrote:

it did in china
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6743|132 and Bush

Wreckognize wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

The planet's not struggling. Life is.
Agree'd.  There's nothing humans can do that will irreversibly destroy the planet.  Sure, we may kill off ourselves and maybe a bunch of species, but mass extinctions are nothing new.  There's nothing we can do that a few hundred thousand years won't fix.
Yes I saw After Humans on the Science channel also. What's the point of these statements? That the planet doesn't actually eat? That Humans need the earth, not the other way around? Pardon my brevity, but no shit.

Now, if we're done with semantics, let's talk about trying to keep the planet optimized for human life. That's the relevant discussion.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6743|132 and Bush

Cybargs wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

it did in china
Start snatching peoples children up in a free society and prepare for war.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5728

Kmar wrote:

Pubic wrote:

How do we go about that?
In the west? Easy, provide economic incentives for limiting reproduction. Add a bunch tax penalties for having children.Combine that with more sex education and you could begin to drive down the population in U.S.

I don't know why you would want to do that though. There isn't really a population problem in most industrialized countries. Hell the Japanese and Taiwanese are trying to get their people to start reproducing again.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6743|132 and Bush

Macbeth wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Pubic wrote:

How do we go about that?
In the west? Easy, provide economic incentives for limiting reproduction. Add a bunch tax penalties for having children.Combine that with more sex education and you could begin to drive down the population in U.S.

I don't know why you would want to do that though. There isn't really a population problem in most industrialized countries. Hell the Japanese and Taiwanese are trying to get their people to start reproducing again.
So your easy solution is to tax the people trying to support children? Sex education isn't going to change much. Almost everyone knows the consequences of unprotected sex and they still do it. The US population has gone from 150 mil to over 300 mil in about 50 years. It's true that European nations have stalled. But most of the rest of the world has not.

Examples: http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb- … &dl=en
Tick the world box to see the trend as a whole.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jsnipy
+3,276|6664|...

Kmar wrote:

Pubic wrote:

war
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6817|Canberra, AUS
What on earth would taxing people in the US do when the overwhelming majority of the world's population growth will be in Africa?

I'll say it again - population growth + global demographics is by far the most poorly understood global issue around atm.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6743|132 and Bush

Spark, you're right. That's why I'm exploring it. Just trying to clean out the bs first.

jsnipy, I think that's unlikely. A great war is what would be needed to have a noticeable impact, and a modern great war would likely be disastrous for the human civilization. It's also a band aid fix.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,812|6248|eXtreme to the maX

Blue Herring wrote:

Especially since higher carbon dioxide levels have existed in the past. It won't go down overnight, but to state that it will never go down and that our children and children's children won't have clean air to breathe is just asinine.
No-one has ever claimed that.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Macbeth wrote:

The problem basically is the economic system which requires exponential growth.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6917|Moscow, Russia

Dilbert_X wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

The problem basically is the economic system which requires exponential growth.
that's been obvious for a very long time now. the question is: how do we even start to fix that shit when everybody and his mother in law is neck deep in it?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6743|132 and Bush

Dilbert_X wrote:

Blue Herring wrote:

Especially since higher carbon dioxide levels have existed in the past. It won't go down overnight, but to state that it will never go down and that our children and children's children won't have clean air to breathe is just asinine.
No-one has ever claimed that.
We should accept global climate unconditionally until we return to the late heavy bombardment. Ya know, cause it's been hotter in the past.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
What we should do is wait until we're up to our ears in swamp and then worry about it.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6743|132 and Bush

you're such an alarmist
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5500|London, England
To those making claims... prove that the earth can not sustain a population double what it is supporting today. Hint: You can't. So fuck off with this whole the earth is dying, we need to eradicate humans bullshit.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

To those making claims... prove that the earth can not sustain a population double what it is supporting today. Hint: You can't. So fuck off with this whole the earth is dying, we need to eradicate humans bullshit.
Why don't you prove that it could?
Until then fuck off with your bullshit.

Once oil has run out I doubt we could sustain 1/10th of the current population.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-06-06 05:36:42)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5500|London, England
Burden of proof lies with those asking for massive changes. Most of the world has a negative growth rate.  Africa and South America do not. They either need to industrialize their food production or cut their growth rate. Either way food aid needs to end. People like you caused the mess.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
How did 'people like me' cause anything exactly?

I'm pretty sure world consumption is on a steady upwards curve.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6835
Population will either fall back on itself through plague and famine or we will transcend the limitations of our time and use technology to maintain the species.

Two factors that could potentially balance out a ruined world:

- New coastal flood plains. If the Greenland and the Antarctic ice sheets should melt, then we might expect many coastal regions to be submerged or damaged greatly; however, new lands may open up for irrigation.

- With that, new liveable land will open up in those areas formally covered in ice and arctic tundra.

Jay wrote:

Burden of proof lies with those asking for massive changes. Most of the world has a negative growth rate.  Africa and South America do not. They either need to industrialize their food production or cut their growth rate. Either way food aid needs to end. People like you caused the mess.
Food aid does not need to end, not until we find a better solution. South America and Africa contained sustainable populations before colonization-- populations not ridden with pestilence and starvation. We owe them the tools to reach levels of sustainability once more.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2011-06-06 06:42:00)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard