Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
And their experiences aren't mine - not sure why someone thinking about something a lot really carries any weight when it comes to fantasy.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3448
coming from you, who seems to privilege his own experience and point-of-view above everything else, to the point of saying that half the world's population need to go and die off somewhere quietly for your peace of mind and continued consumption ... that's pretty rich.

what's the difference between some poor victorian churchman in 1860 being confronted with a bit of dinosaur found in devon and you, the racist, being presented with actual scientific understanding on genetics today?
even when it comes to this strictly materialist, scientific-truth-is-the-only-understanding view of things, which was limited even when the positivists tried it for size in the 1880s, you're not acquitting yourself very well. your scientific knowledge is largely bogus and emotionally, preferentially selective. being a capable engineer evidently doesn't give you any qualification to discuss matters of biology, chemistry, or even vast tracts of physics, really. let alone to judge people's entire worldviews and ways of life.

and, beyond that, there is much in human experience and meaning that goes beyond objective facts. i'm no proponent of the supernatural or fantastical myself, but if religion helps people with deeper emotional truths and helps them towards being a better, more ethical, more empathic human being, who am i to quarrel? for every sickened fundamentalist who uses religion as a wedge for hatred, there's a bitter ingrown cucked engineer misusing science for his racism. DERP.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-11 04:28:30)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Stop bullying Dilbert
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Dexter 1x1, most of it. I'm sure it's decent if you're into that, but pass. 8 seasons is an investment and these things always feel like they could have been done as a much shorter movie series or serial.

Maybe mac can give me a verdict from his podium. He's like a human encyclopedium for these things.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
He's like several encyclopediums
uziq
+492|3448
you don't need to make jokes at my expense at how nonsensical and beastly ugly is american-english. fixing up such travesties of style and good sense is my bread and butter.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-26 03:19:29)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

He's like several encyclopediums
I checked around and the correct pluralization is encyclopediodes.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The collective term for bankers is a wunch.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dexter 1x1, most of it. I'm sure it's decent if you're into that, but pass. 8 seasons is an investment and these things always feel like they could have been done as a much shorter movie series or serial.

Maybe mac can give me a verdict from his podium. He's like a human encyclopedium for these things.
I never watched the early seasons of the original run but watched the last two which were widely considered the worst. The show ended in a way that left it open to a reboot and also greatly disappointed fans of the show.

The show was problematic in the way I described Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, and other shows that dumb people on the internet turned into an identity. Dexter may have been killing "bad people" but I strongly believe that the average person has no right to judge and slay.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Maybe there's more to the backstory to unfold than from just the first episode, but Dexter as a kid would kill animals. Upon learning it was something he couldn't really control and that he'd probably eventually move on to humans, his jaded cop foster dad steered him into the path of murderous vigilantism and taught him how to hide his tracks. Instead of, you know, getting him psychiatric help.

There's like one cop at the police station who's creeped out by Dexter and regards him with suspicion, but he's presented to the audience in a way that makes him out to be irritating and antagonistic. Like the writers want you to shout at the TV whenever he appears on screen.

Review aggregators place the first two seasons as the best. I'd stop there if anywhere, but it seems like another pointless excursion without a conclusion.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Shouldn't wikipedia really be wikipedium?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

wikipedagogy
uziq
+492|3448
i think 'wiki-pedagogy' sums up dilbert's approach to just about any topic of human knowledge beyond his ken.

nothing a 0.5 second google search can't summon up to shore up his fatuous contrarian take of the day. even better if it's on google images!

certainly none of that book learnin' going on in his household.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thank you
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
I bought season 1 of House of Dragon on Amazon Prime. It is actually really good.

House of Dragon isn't an overly grand and dramatic show like Game of Thrones. It is instead 20 years of family/political drama in the house of Targaryen. The plot is tight, characters well developed etc.

It doesn't feel like Game of Thrones either and in such a great way.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

"Saved." Are enough people viewing to back that up?

Hard pass anyway, could just go watch Next of Kin instead.

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
You didn't even watch the video
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

Of course not. It's 30 minutes. I've embedded movie criticisms not much longer and people were like "nnnh, do I have to?"

Can I get the bullet points?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Can I get the bullet points?
The show isn't a sprawling story with 10 different plots. It is tightly focused on the inner dynamics with the Targ dynasty. The other great houses get cameos at the best in the story. In that regard the story is like the GoT earlier seasons and not the older ones.

Watch the first few scenes of the opening.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

I found a clip on youtube with a bunch of people standing around morosely in a bunch of ruins talking about succession. Were there no better, grander structures for that? What if it rained all over their court outfits, or a column fell on the guests?

I looked up the track for that particular scene. Took it a long time to work its way from background music to "listen to this! The old series' tunes!"

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-11-21 13:41:20)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6767|PNW

I've been told that The Last Kingdom is a better show than either, but it's like $20 a season on amazon, and only four out of the five(?) seasons I think I've read about.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
What I liked so much about House of Dragon:

(1) Season 1 has a few time jumps. The whole history of the show covers something like 30 years. This is really cool since you get to see the foundations of the war. GoT eventually got around to explaining all of this but it is different when you actually see it take place. And the writers were pretty good at making this the whole thing a tight family drama.

(2) The show has a big theme about generations changing and how the choices we make affect the people we care about. The time jumps and keeping the story tightly focused on a small group of characters helps. Spoiler (highlight to read):
Watching the children of the main characters continue their parents rivalry but without the understanding that they are a family even if troubled and flawed is especially great. Doubly if you have you have ever dealt with kids. Children don't understand context like adults do. That part of the story feel very real and is well done.

RTHKI, you have read the books?
lil_droo
+19|1491

SuperJail Warden wrote:

What I liked so much about House of Dragon:

(1) Season 1 has a few time jumps. The whole history of the show covers something like 30 years. This is really cool since you get to see the foundations of the war. GoT eventually got around to explaining all of this but it is different when you actually see it take place. And the writers were pretty good at making this the whole thing a tight family drama.

(2) The show has a big theme about generations changing and how the choices we make affect the people we care about. The time jumps and keeping the story tightly focused on a small group of characters helps. Spoiler (highlight to read):
Watching the children of the main characters continue their parents rivalry but without the understanding that they are a family even if troubled and flawed is especially great. Doubly if you have you have ever dealt with kids. Children don't understand context like adults do. That part of the story feel very real and is well done.

RTHKI, you have read the books?
Yeah this show is really good. GoT and house of dragon are the only shows I've watched in the past like 8ish yrs so I don't have much to compare it too but they're both awesome. I'm actually pretty impressed that the British can make shit like this. A chick I was dating got me into GoT during the beginning of the 7th season and I binge watched all the earlier seasons and caught up with her lol
gang shit
uziq
+492|3448
I'm actually pretty impressed that the British can make shit like this.
? both game of thrones and house of dragons are produced by american production companies, with HBO's backing. it's not a 'british production'.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard