DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+790|6107|United States of America
As I caught up on this thread, I can attest that having heard the name Goya, I couldn't put a single piece of art to that name. In a quick glance at his Wikipedia page, I recall seeing The Third of May 1808 and the naked lady before
uziq
Member
+475|2874
thank you for your contribution. from now on desert you are the Everyman.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+589|3142

DesertFox- wrote:

As I caught up on this thread, I can attest that having heard the name Goya, I couldn't put a single piece of art to that name. In a quick glance at his Wikipedia page, I recall seeing The Third of May 1808 and the naked lady before
Do you like West World?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
Member
+94|1310

uziq wrote:

i mean did you even read it, as in, did you take anything from the text other than 'this is a pointless hoop jumping exercise'. not mistaking or forgetting the author of the odyssey. lmao.
A 10 year old doesn't really have a frame of reference so I would say much of the underlying debates and content of Homer or its art were kinda lost on me in those early years. Have I come to appreciate it more the older I became? Certainly. But only after gaining a lot of contextual knowledge and reading other stuff. Oh, and not having to do the mostly mechanical act of translating the fucking thing.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+790|6107|United States of America

SuperJail Warden wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

As I caught up on this thread, I can attest that having heard the name Goya, I couldn't put a single piece of art to that name. In a quick glance at his Wikipedia page, I recall seeing The Third of May 1808 and the naked lady before
Do you like West World?
I just made reference to it today and told someone the first season was pretty good, and the second was meh. Haven't seen the third, but some guy on a forum I frequent wasn't elated by it.
uziq
Member
+475|2874

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

i mean did you even read it, as in, did you take anything from the text other than 'this is a pointless hoop jumping exercise'. not mistaking or forgetting the author of the odyssey. lmao.
A 10 year old doesn't really have a frame of reference so I would say much of the underlying debates and content of Homer or its art were kinda lost on me in those early years. Have I come to appreciate it more the older I became? Certainly. But only after gaining a lot of contextual knowledge and reading other stuff. Oh, and not having to do the mostly mechanical act of translating the fucking thing.
you were being taught homer in ancient greek at 10? and you accuse me of having some sort of snobby elitist background?

who are you, Milton or something?
Larssen
Member
+94|1310

uziq wrote:

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

i mean did you even read it, as in, did you take anything from the text other than 'this is a pointless hoop jumping exercise'. not mistaking or forgetting the author of the odyssey. lmao.
A 10 year old doesn't really have a frame of reference so I would say much of the underlying debates and content of Homer or its art were kinda lost on me in those early years. Have I come to appreciate it more the older I became? Certainly. But only after gaining a lot of contextual knowledge and reading other stuff. Oh, and not having to do the mostly mechanical act of translating the fucking thing.
you were being taught homer in ancient greek at 10? and you accuse me of having some sort of snobby elitist background?

who are you, Milton or something?
I had one parent who was intent to project upon me an imagined 'proper upbringing' so yes I was forced to run the snobbery gamut: follow piano lessons, horseback riding, extra education'. In school and in their original languages the Aenid at 11, Odyssee a year later but I called it quits a couple years after. To some dismay of course but what can you do.

There's certain high schools/secondary education here in which ancient greek & latin are compulsory as soon as you start. I believe they're commonplace in northern Europe, at least germany, belgium and holland - humaniora or gymnasiums.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|4780|London, England
We had latin class, but no greek

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-08 17:50:18)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
Member
+475|2874
ancient greek and latin are taught at our private schools here. ditto all the horse riding/polo, music tuition, modern languages, etc. that you want.

the part i am surprised about is being taught Homer in ancient greek at 10. that's just silly. people aren't even encouraged to pick up a modern language at that age here.

we don't start 'high' school until 12-13.
Larssen
Member
+94|1310
Different countries different systems. For you 12, for us around 10, in other countries 'high school' you're 15 - it's hard to draw direct comparisons. The school was still a public school.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-05-09 00:29:32)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,726|6159|Oxferd Ohire
I took latin cause it was the cool teacher and easy class. We got to sing Christmas songs in Latin it was great. Took Spanish in college. I suck at language.

I'm surprised you guys even say high school here.

Last edited by RTHKI (2020-05-09 20:05:00)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
Member
+475|2874
we do it for the benefit of you, our slower cousins.

actually it’s like larssen hinted at, in places like germany it gets seriously confusing when there’s about 4 types of school for different branching/pathways. high school just generically covers the age 11-16 bit.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-10 00:44:36)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+589|3142
New required reading
The 5 Biggest Problems With Season 3 Of ‘Westworld’
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2 … world/amp/

Optional Viewing

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-05-11 12:38:33)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,786|5528|eXtreme to the maX
Either watch it or don't.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,726|6159|Oxferd Ohire
It can be fun watching a show crash harder than GoT
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+589|3142

Dilbert_X wrote:

Either watch it or don't.
People must be warned. Westworld must be stopped.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+589|3142

RTHKI wrote:

It can be fun watching a show crash harder than GoT
someone on reddit claimed they work at an online warehouse and there is a pallet of unsold Game of Thrones boxsets just collecting dust.
https://i.redd.it/525gi9o8fdy41.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8hPWQY8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,998|6194|USA

I thought you were a huge defender of that show.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+589|3142
Only season 1-6, It's dead to me after that. Westworld Season 1 was great. Dead to me after that.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,726|6159|Oxferd Ohire

SuperJail Warden wrote:

New required reading
The 5 Biggest Problems With Season 3 Of ‘Westworld’
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2 … world/amp/

Optional Viewing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ9aCMqT5iE
that was a bad fight scene even considering shes a super robot

also i cant see the cursor when on a new line thanks to new google
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,998|6194|USA

As corny as T3 was, the T-X fight scene makes a little more sense to me considering that was what she was built for. She also took damage here. Although to be fair I don't really have a lot of Westworld context.

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,726|6159|Oxferd Ohire
In Westworld they turned pain off some of the main robot characters so apparently the robots can't be damaged at all by bullets
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,998|6194|USA

It would make sense for bullets that are primarily intended to cause flesh trauma to not do much to a metal skeleton. But do they not have anti-robot bullets they could use?
Larssen
Member
+94|1310
Black Sails, 8.5/10

First season is not that great and the show has some ridiculous twists and turns, but it only gets better and better. Absolutely fantastic characters. The writers truly managed to craft their own pirate epic drawing from and mixing real people, piracy novels and their own creativity. The end result is A+ and every unfolding plotline / confrontation is a joy to watch.

Can't believe I took so long until I decided to watch this series. Highly recommend, especially season 2 and on.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-06-03 13:13:13)

unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,998|6194|USA

Would you still recommend season 1 for background info?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2022 Jeff Minard