Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Discuss.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+714|5155|United States of America
I started watching You on Netflix after hearing people at work talk about it. I'm not yet sure what direction it's gonna go in, which will determine my reaction.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,758|5242|USA

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I also don't believe in supporting small businesses just because they are small. Small businesses in America are probably a big driver of our inequality issue. Small businesses don't hire brown people. They don't open up places in poor communities. They charge more and give worse services to brown people because they can. They do allow middle class white people to buy BMWs and send their kids to private school while smashing that button for Republicans though.

Of course someone will say "not all small businesses...". Whatever, I am speaking for personal experience in what is supposed to be the most liberal part of America. Do you know what businesses actually hire minorities and provide services fairly? Walmart, Amazon, McDonald's, etc.
Here's an article from 2014 talking about the growth of minority small business.
https://www.cnbc.com/2014/05/12/minorit … rowth.html

Also, entrepreneurship is in no way the easy road to your BMW and private schooling for subsequent generations. In actual small business, it's not uncommon for them to be paying out of pocket to keep up with rent or payroll. Or putting off health care. Or working more hours, with less (or no) vacation time, with an inconsistent sleep schedule. Reasonable goals are to either get big enough to where you can catch a breath, or to get bought out for a handsome sum. Some way to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Of course someone will say "not all small business." Look at your lead up. "Small business owners are just a bunch of BMW-owning, private school funding, Republicans." Someone should tell the gal who owns the struggling nail salon at the local strip mall.

Such a weird hill for you to dig in on mere days before towing "the man's" line with high school haircuts.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,758|5242|USA

DesertFox- wrote:

I started watching You on Netflix after hearing people at work talk about it. I'm not yet sure what direction it's gonna go in, which will determine my reaction.
Man the episode summaries hide nothing. Not a big spoilery deal I guess since it was a book first.
SuperJail Warden
Member
+214|2190

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I also don't believe in supporting small businesses just because they are small. Small businesses in America are probably a big driver of our inequality issue. Small businesses don't hire brown people. They don't open up places in poor communities. They charge more and give worse services to brown people because they can. They do allow middle class white people to buy BMWs and send their kids to private school while smashing that button for Republicans though.

Of course someone will say "not all small businesses...". Whatever, I am speaking for personal experience in what is supposed to be the most liberal part of America. Do you know what businesses actually hire minorities and provide services fairly? Walmart, Amazon, McDonald's, etc.
Here's an article from 2014 talking about the growth of minority small business.
https://www.cnbc.com/2014/05/12/minorit … rowth.html

Also, entrepreneurship is in no way the easy road to your BMW and private schooling for subsequent generations. In actual small business, it's not uncommon for them to be paying out of pocket to keep up with rent or payroll. Or putting off health care. Or working more hours, with less (or no) vacation time, with an inconsistent sleep schedule. Reasonable goals are to either get big enough to where you can catch a breath, or to get bought out for a handsome sum. Some way to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Of course someone will say "not all small business." Look at your lead up. "Small business owners are just a bunch of BMW-owning, private school funding, Republicans." Someone should tell the gal who owns the struggling nail salon at the local strip mall.

Such a weird hill for you to dig in on mere days before towing "the man's" line with high school haircuts.
Your article is from 2014 meaning you Googled  "minorities small businesses" to make the point that
Minority businesses make up almost 15 percent of the 28 million small businesses and employ 5.9 million workers in the United States.
Vastly underrepresented.

In any case I understand that you are a small business owner who had to set up a camera on his job's sign in clock because your black workers were stealing from you and your workshop or whatever it is that you do. How do you feel about paid parental leave?
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,758|5242|USA

Like you've never plucked an article from a search engine to paste here.

Paid parental leave? Please, we're roped into paperwork for child support. It's extra time expense, but whatever.

Falsifying work times was like one or two guys who are no longer with the company. The current group is chill, and the occasional errors on time logs are just errors. The cameras are watching equipment inside and outside of storage. They can go fill out their papers in their cars if they want and it wouldn't violate any company rules.

You still haven't justified your other thoughts about small businesses.

They do allow middle class white people to buy BMWs and send their kids to private school while smashing that button for Republicans though.
They charge more and give worse services to brown people because they can.
You must know so much about it, fondling substitute teachers in the break room on government dime.

e:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Vastly underrepresented.
I think that "vastly" hinges on a number of modifiers. The entire country isn't evenly 76% white. I could dig some recent census figures and compare states like Alaska, Hawaii, Vermont, and Florida, but you don't like search engines. Better buy a set of encyclopedias so it meets your approval.

That article had a positive outlook of the growth of minority-owned business in the coming years based on trends. It would be interesting to read an update.
SuperJail Warden
Member
+214|2190
I asked about paid parental leave because I heard a good argument against it by a small businesses owner. He said his small business couldn't handle paid parental leave. He can't afford to pay an employee all year round who wasn't there.

Small businesses have issues with mandates like parental leave and healthcare that big businesses don't. I am sure paid parental leave would be harder for your small tranny workshop than it would be for a tranny factory.

Do you drug test your employees?
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,758|5242|USA

If you want the rundown for Washington:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne … the-nation
http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/ … 5-S.PL.pdf

I don't foresee it having much of a negative impact on my own business.

How does NJ fund it? I'd google it but as you know those results aren't viable.
SuperJail Warden
Member
+214|2190
I don't know.

I started watching the Outsider. A murder mystery HBO show based on a Stephen King novel.

It's better than the last two True Detectives though that is a short bar to clear.
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,758|5242|USA

While watching that trailer on the HBO playlist, I caught one for Avenue 5. Some poor reviews, but might give the first episode a shot anyhow.



playlist
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,799|5102|949

seems like you watch a lot of tv
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,758|5242|USA

Not really, no.
SuperJail Warden
Member
+214|2190
My cable box doesn't even have an HDMI cord attached to it for me to watch T.V. Unless something shows up on Amazon, HBO Go, or Netflix, I don't even know it exist. I also don't listen to music on the radio. I use Google Music so again I have no idea what songs are out right now. But I enjoy what I hear when I listen to the radio. Like that song Lucid Dreams that Ken linked is now on my Google Music account.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,799|5102|949

I've effectively lived without cable for a few years now. I stream anything I want to watch, and I use my mom's or friend's cable accounts when I need to watch sports.

I have prime and i've never come across a show or movie that is free to stream. Every time I look for a show, they want me to buy the episode/movie or pay to stream it. I'm not sure what the benefit is of adding the ability to stream movies and TV if you have to pay for it all. It's like they've finally caught up to itunes circa 2010?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,621|5208|Oxferd
They had the original blade runner free with ads a year ago or so.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,758|5242|USA

I haven't watched many of their "originals." Reliable for a cheesy old movie fix, though.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,621|5208|Oxferd
they have plenty of old hbo and star trek. the pre reboot bonds come and go.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,799|5102|949

seems like it's good for 20 year old content, but not for anything recently released then?. Oh well. I'll probably end up dropping prime...i definitely don't get value out of it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,634|4576|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I've effectively lived without cable for a few years now. I stream anything I want to watch, and I use my mom's or friend's cable accounts when I need to watch sports.

I have prime and i've never come across a show or movie that is free to stream. Every time I look for a show, they want me to buy the episode/movie or pay to stream it. I'm not sure what the benefit is of adding the ability to stream movies and TV if you have to pay for it all. It's like they've finally caught up to itunes circa 2010?
Coming to the conclusions its just easier to buy a DVD now and then than be locked into a subscription.
Epstein didn't kill himself

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2020 Jeff Minard