Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

"Garth Marenghi's Darkplace"  similar to dr who?
rofl
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6711|US

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Never watched Dr. Who and have zero ambition to do so. Am I missing something?
no.

it's incredibly corny. the writing is terrible. the characters are 2d. it is 'purposefully' designed to look low-budget, or incredibly cheesy. it's weird. it's like purposefully retrograded and made to seem like one of the really cheap sci-fi's of the 1970's - the BBC knowingly cashing in on the original dr. who 'legacy'. watching it is painful. the only people who like it are dr.who fanatics or sci-fi geeks who don't mind watching something with terrible props and fucking hack acting, all because it adds to the 'charm'.

consider it like a 'cult' show, a la twin peaks or something, only instead of being the kind of cool-hip-signifying niche form of cult, it's a cult for neckbeards and aspergers-lites, who all think watching a show in 2013 with the costume/make-up and special effects of a 1970's b-movie is 'awesome'.
Uh, were you watching the new or the old Dr. Who shows? 
The writing in the new ones varies (multiple writers).  Some are significantly better than others.  I haven't noticed a ton of terrible effects.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250
the production value is still incredibly low. it's very over the top and cheesy. almost camp. it just has that stuffy 'uncle beeb' feel to it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Somehow I'm not surprised. What, do you seriously expect Avatar effects from Doctor Who? I said it was science fiction in the loosest sense of the term. Of course it's camp, old and new. Do you want War and Peace from a show that has a spaceman fighting lobster people? It doesn't need to be over-analyzed. But yeah, keep attacking people who watch a particular TV show, read a particular book or play on a handheld.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Uzique World News wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/V9tlNW3.jpg

Not a literary breakthrough.
Thanks.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250
when did i say it had to be a literary breakthrough? fallacies pouring out of your loose asshole here, mate. even by sci-fi / television standards it is incredibly corny. like i said, they have 'stylized' it to have the sort of strange camp props-are-good-but-they're-not-good-at-the-same-time effect to it. it's bbc through and through. it doesn't strike me as compelling. it had that amateur-dilettante effect to it. dr. who fans go nuts for it - it's like 'the whole thing'. but as i said: it's cult. nowhere did i say it should be a glossy michael bay tv series. i'm just saying that dr. who's whole charm is that it is essentially shoddy and you can see the gaffer tape on the set designs. it has this weird niche of dr. who fans who love that, though.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Like I said, of course it's camp. But at least the guys who asked about it in the first place can make up their own minds whether or not they decide to give it a shot and like/dislike it.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5961|London, England

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Like I said, of course it's camp. But at least the guys who asked about it in the first place can make up their own minds whether or not they decide to give it a shot and like/dislike it.
I dont understand what this means.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250
if they could entirely make up their own minds, that suggests they wouldn't ask an internet forum...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Mutantbear wrote:

I dont understand what this means.

person a) I just watched Doctor Who
person b) Is Doctor Who worth watching?
person c) no. it's camp.
person a) of course it's camp. but at least person b can decide for themselves.

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

if they could entirely make up their own minds, that suggests they wouldn't ask an internet forum...
Asking on an internet forum doesn't strip you of independent thought. For example, I could make up my mind what computer parts to get for a build, but I still like to ping it online for feedback.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250
so basically the subtext of what you are saying is "if someone asks if something is good, you should only respond if you have a positive thing to say about my beloved dr. who, otherwise you are depriving him of the right to free-independent thought with your arrogance". oh ok.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Not really. I'm not telling you to change your opinion about it or not voice it at all. Was the subtext of what you're saying "don't watch campy TV?" Ask me if Prometheus is worth watching sometime if you want to hear a negative opinion.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6733|Oxferd Ohire
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6735|Toronto | Canada

the cheap/campyness has kinda faded in the past season. they're pumping a lot of money into it now and its getting really heavily promoted here in NA.  the episode in london this season was really high quality in terms of locations and sets... almost strangely so
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

I can't begin to guess what they're going to do for series 8, but I hope the 50th anniversary thing is decent.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6686|Tampa Bay Florida
Dr. Who reminds me of Xena the Princess Warrior and Stargate.  Incredibly shitty B-level television.  The kind of stuff that looked cool when you're 8 years old, but by 20 you can recognize the stink.  No.  Thank.  You.
CC-Marley
+407|6824
Tom Baker was the best Dr.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

^Tom Baker was the one I started with. William Hartnell played a pretty good, arrogant Doctor though.

Spearhead wrote:

Dr. Who reminds me of Xena the Princess Warrior and Stargate.  Incredibly shitty B-level television.  The kind of stuff that looked cool when you're 8 years old, but by 20 you can recognize the stink.  No.  Thank.  You.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/arts/sites/doctor-who-wales/images/emp/dw-margam-park-02.jpg

The Doctor? Cheesy? Say it isn't so!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6712
all the people i know who watch doctor who are girls who obsessed over it. i dont get it, girls usually aren't obsessed with sci fi nerd shit.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6469|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Generation Kill was kinda dull.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Vote Republican!
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6711|US

Cybargs wrote:

all the people i know who watch doctor who are girls who obsessed over it. i dont get it, girls usually aren't obsessed with sci fi nerd shit.
Well, the hero of the show is a younger, single male who (relatively) compassionately saves people (and planets, universes, etc), has a bit of a dark past, and needs a companion to help him stay sane. 

I'm surprised I never noticed that, but you bring up an interesting point.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6469|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Jay wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Vote Republican!
I vote for head slicing smoke grenades. I laughed pretty hard during that scene
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6712

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Jay wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Vote Republican!
I vote for head slicing smoke grenades. I laughed pretty hard during that scene
at least he gave him some food first.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6507|Gold Coast
watched Oz and James' Big Wine Adventure, and currently on the last episode of Oz and James Drink to Britain.

Just another show with James May... its interesting in a way, but fuck me, Oz Clarke talks some serious fucking shit its almost cringeworthy.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard