Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
+32|6641|Stockholm, Sweden
Hi,

Been a while since I posted something here on bf2s, but who better to consult for valuable input!?

Here's the deal: I'm moving to the US to study my masters this fall (from Sweden). I have been admitted to HPU on Honolulu, Hawaii. But I'm still waiting for an answer from CSUF and CSULB, that is Fullerton and Long Beach in Los Angeles, CA. At HPU I'm going to study a masters in communication and at the two universities in LA i've applied to a masters in computer science. I am finishing a bachelor in Compuer Science atm.

I'd rather study communication but living on Hawaii is so damn expensive. Plus, I got a better feeling about living in Cali, more going on, not as expensive and I'm thinking about maybe going in to the film industry. But I'm not that ecited about another two years of computer science, it's not bad, it's just not as interesting as communication.

As most of you are americans, I thought you'd be able to give some advice on which place would be better to live in given criteria such as cost, life style, weather and so forth. Any ideas?

Thanks!
/Phil
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5393|London, England

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

Hi,

Been a while since I posted something here on bf2s, but who better to consult for valuable input!?

Here's the deal: I'm moving to the US to study my masters this fall (from Sweden). I have been admitted to HPU on Honolulu, Hawaii. But I'm still waiting for an answer from CSUF and CSULB, that is Fullerton and Long Beach in Los Angeles, CA. At HPU I'm going to study a masters in communication and at the two universities in LA i've applied to a masters in computer science. I am finishing a bachelor in Compuer Science atm.

I'd rather study communication but living on Hawaii is so damn expensive. Plus, I got a better feeling about living in Cali, more going on, not as expensive and I'm thinking about maybe going in to the film industry. But I'm not that ecited about another two years of computer science, it's not bad, it's just not as interesting as communication.

As most of you are americans, I thought you'd be able to give some advice on which place would be better to live in given criteria such as cost, life style, weather and so forth. Any ideas?

Thanks!
/Phil
lol
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6702

Hawaii is over-rated.  If your choices are only CSULB or CSUF, pick CSULB.  CSULB is the beach lifestyle (yes, the beach is just there), plus everything else that is SoCal.  Do not go to CSUF, unless you like being bored as hell.  CSULB does actually have pretty good Computer Science/Engineering programs, and interesting enough, a good Radio and Television program as well.

Neither are big sports colleges, so not much as far as reps though.  Have you also considered USC or UCLA?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5620

Hawaii has a high cost of living but Cali isn't cheap either. As for the value of the degrees- go for the master in computer science in Cali. I'm not sure how it is in Sweden but if you want to be employed in the U.S. you have a better shot with a masters in computer science than with a masters in communications.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6702

Jay, there are Radio and Television programs out here.  And yes, I know of at least two friends who have gone into the entertainment industry in Burbank and the like.  One acting, the other, writing scripts.
it won't be as easy to check out the rest of the country if you are living in hawaii either

computer science is prolly stronger in CA also
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6702

Masters in Computer Science?    Screw that.  Go for an MBA at places like Pepperdine.  Yeah, that includes my cousin in line to be CFO.
pepperdine lol
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5620

Not even off of page one and we're already going down this road...
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6702

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

pepperdine lol
And Loyola Marymount.  For MBA.

What do you consider in the West Coast?

Can only speak for the EMBA and part-time MBA programs though.

But...

Back to CSULB or CSUF.  Just drive around Fullerton, and then Long Beach.  The choice will be easy if you are deciding based on lifestyle.  But then again, if you drove around USC, well...
well... tell us?? what do you see

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

who better to consult for valuable input!?

that's right. we be top leaders in the community
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6702

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

well... tell us?? what do you see
Well, you did "lol".  There are quite a few quality MBA programs in Cali.  USC, USD, UCB, UCLA.  Pepperdine and LMU are among that group as well.  But I can only recommend those two since I'm not familiar with the other MBA programs.  And those two are good as "working" MBA programs.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6716|Disaster Free Zone

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

I thought you'd be able to give some advice on which place would be better to live in given criteria such as cost, life style, weather and so forth. Any ideas?
Sweden.

No seriously, you could do your degree in 3 years and have it cost nothing. Or go to America and have it take 4 years, be expected to do a whole bunch of useless subjects and spend as much as $200k. Save a year of your life and $200k and go spend that on an awesome holiday instead.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6702

Computer Science/Engineering is 5 years here.  But yeah, I recommend finishing in Sweden for undergrad.
time vs money
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DrunkFace wrote:

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

I thought you'd be able to give some advice on which place would be better to live in given criteria such as cost, life style, weather and so forth. Any ideas?
Sweden.

No seriously, you could do your degree in 3 years and have it cost nothing. Or go to America and have it take 4 years, be expected to do a whole bunch of useless subjects and spend as much as $200k. Save a year of your life and $200k and go spend that on an awesome holiday instead.
lol 200k. he's not talking about Harvard you twit.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6702

Jay wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

Sweden.

Foreign students don't get in-state rates, not unlike how illegals want in-state rates in Cali...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

Jay wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Sweden.

Foreign students don't get in-state rates, not unlike how illegals want in-state rates in Cali...
Yeah, but UC is still relatively cheap, no?
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Oh wow, holy fuck it's not. $50k per year? Are they insane!>?!!?!?
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5736|College Park, MD

Jay wrote:

8K a year for tuition
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6702

Jay wrote:

But they still enroll.  Rich, wealthy foreign nationals want there kids to go to school here.  I had a Chinese girl stay at my San Diego property for a year before her family bought a house for her.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Jay wrote:

8K a year for tuition
SUNY is ~$6k a year for tuition and fees.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

Jay wrote:

But they still enroll.  Rich, wealthy foreign nationals want there kids to go to school here.  I had a Chinese girl stay at my San Diego property for a year before her family bought a house for her.
The difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition is $8k/yr here. Compared to UC that's a friggin bargain.
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5736|College Park, MD
Out-of-staters pay so much more, it's crazy:

http://www.umd.edu/bursar/t_ug1011.html

e: god that's a ghetto website

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2011-06-01 12:59:59)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard