-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5466|Ventura, California
Germany will shut down all of its nuclear plants by 2022. - Fox News

Germany on Monday announced plans to become the first major industrialized power to shut down all its nuclear plants, with a phase-out due to be wrapped up by 2022, the government agreed Monday.

Environment Minister Norbert Roettgen announced the decision by the center-right coalition, which was prompted by the Japan nuclear disaster, in the early hours of Monday morning, describing it as "irreversible".
I think that's a little over-the-top. Their currently active nuclear plants supply 22% of their electricity. At least they have 11 years to come up with that 22%, but closing those reactors seems like shooting themselves in the foot to me. They're not threated by many, if any, natural disasters that could mess up their plants like what happened in Japan.

What do you folks think of the decision?
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6773|Great Brown North
knee jerk reactions FTW
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5171|Sydney
So what will their alternative be?
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5466|Ventura, California
Jewish labor
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Jewish labor
go fuck yourself shifty thats fucking low
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
venom6
Since day One.
+247|6551|Hungary
So the "green" and "liberal" politicians will produce the missing power! They will run on running pads for the rest of their lifes!
You cant compare green energy with a nuclear plant! How idiot they are omg!
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney

venom6 wrote:

So the "green" and "liberal" politicians will produce the missing power! They will run on running pads for the rest of their lifes!
I thought centre-right meant more or less the conservative party?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

Jaekus wrote:

venom6 wrote:

I thought centre-right meant more or less the conservative party?
pwned
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6768|Moscow, Russia

Jaekus wrote:

So what will their alternative be?
wrong question. one should be asking if major elections or smthing are getting close in germany.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney
If you read the article the government has lost ground based on nuclear issues in recent elections:

And it is a humbling U-turn for Merkel, who at the end of 2010 decided to extend the lifetime of Germany's 17 reactors by an average of 12 years, which would have kept them open until the mid-2030s.

That decision was unpopular in Germany even before the earthquake and tsunami in March that severely damaged the Fukushima nuclear facility in Japan, prompting Merkel's review of nuclear policy.

Her zig-zagging on what since the 1970s has been a highly emotive issue in the country has cost her at the ballot box.

Merkel herself has blamed the Fukushima nuclear disaster for recent defeats in state elections.

In the latest, on May 23, the anti-nuclear Greens pushed her conservative party into third place in a vote in the northern state of Bremen, the first time they had scored more votes than the conservatives in a regional or federal election.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6768|Moscow, Russia
god political technologies work in mysterious ways.
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney
Sounds like Merkel has been under a lot of political and voter pressure, so in light of that it's reasonable the decision be made as it stands.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6768|Moscow, Russia
that's what i'm talking about. it's nothing but pr, nobody's really concerned about fukusima's and other shit. it's pointless asking "what's the alternative" - they just don't give a fuck.
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney
They need to fill a 22% gap in the energy grid of a country with a population of approximately 81 million people, plus industry.

Hardly a "pointless" question.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6768|Moscow, Russia

Jaekus wrote:

They need to fill a 22% gap in the energy grid of a country with a population of approximately 81 million people, plus industry.
they will. or they won't and will have to turn those nuclear plants on. those who are in power right now don't care either way. the question is pointless.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6725|St. Andrews / Oslo

Cybargs wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Jewish labor
go fuck yourself shifty thats fucking low
Yeah, it's spelt labour you douche.

Re: OP - good. They've had a nice increase in renewable energy production in the past years, and this is a sure sign of continuation. Oh, and guys, you know if they don't manage to fill those said 22%, they'll just, y'know, postpone it all, right? It's not like they'll sit there in 2022 thinking - shit! We don't have enough power!
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Jaekus
+957|5171|Sydney
No one was suggesting they'll turn it off with no replacement. I was merely questioning where they intend to replace the 22% power loss from nuclear going offline. Y'know, for the sake of discussion and all.

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-05-30 04:12:58)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
idiots.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
jord
+2,382|6671|The North, beyond the wall.

Spark wrote:

idiots.
No. Politics.
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

jord wrote:

Spark wrote:

idiots.
No. Politics.
I didn't specify who the idiots were. Most at fault are the hordes of whining coffee-belters whose hubris is only matched of their lack of scientific or factual knowledge.

Last edited by Spark (2011-05-30 06:02:30)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
jord
+2,382|6671|The North, beyond the wall.

Spark wrote:

jord wrote:

Spark wrote:

idiots.
No. Politics.
I didn't specify who the idiots were. Most at fault are the hordes of whining coffee-belters whose hubris is only matched of their lack of scientific or factual knowledge.
Ah. I'll let you off then.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6317|Graz, Austria
IIRC, there are several off-shore wind parks planned in the North Sea.
Also, there's enough potential for hydropower plants in the Alps.

It would need many storage power stations and much denser power grid though.
And that's a big problem right there:
The populace doesn't like nuclear or fossil power plants, but they also don't like high-voltage power lines all across the country and storage power station distributed evenly. And putting the high-voltage lines underground costs a multitude.

In the long run, people will have to accept to live with those things, if we want clean energy while at the same time continue our energy wasting lifestyles.

I really hope that the phase-out is going to be started definitely, and not retracted after the next election and/or when the news about Fukushima have ceased.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6768|Moscow, Russia
the thing is, had we started spending money blown on coke on wall street on development of thermo-nuclear energy or some other such technology, we'd probably have solved our energy problems in no time. as it stands, all we hear is bullshit like the op. it would've been funny hadn't it been so sad.
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
thermonuclear ie. fusion has some seriously big technical and scientific hurdles though. we don't really understand plasma dynamics too well and 'til we do...

a manhattan-style project might get a fusion reactor up in a decade, imo. that tells you everything.
~ Richard Feynman
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5954|Places 'n such
Fusion does seem the best option. Even technologies viewed as renewable and good for the environment can have massive drawbacks that we cant really predict/understand right now. I read a good article somewhere once about how wind turbines can really mess with the local climate in large numbers and how tidal energy plants shit up marine life and tides.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard