eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom
I was thinking the same thing, just from watching the show.  if the books are anything like that too then I have no interest in following this series.  its like dude got picked on when he was a kid and now hes having his revenge by playing god with the characters hes made.
Tu Stultus Es
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6572|London
Well he's got a big beard and writes fantasy novels. Probably a safe bet that he got picked on lol.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6736|Toronto | Canada

tyrion is probably still the most interesting character, but even he gets a side seat for a lot of the series.  its also irritating (since the books are written from specific characters' POV) when a POV character dies, then his/her storyline is completed by a totally random character and then the storyline vanishes for a book or two.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
its also really confusing because a bunch of people get revived after dying

also, the names of the characters in meereen are really confusing and i keep getting them mixed up.

that said, i did enjoy reading the books
eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom
id rather read stephen king
Tu Stultus Es
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

i think ive read 2 stephen king books, ever.  i have something against someone who churns out 1000 page books every month
eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom
i dont like the idea of important characters getting killed off every ten seconds
Tu Stultus Es
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Martin Doesn't Like Killing His Characters Either
Which character was the toughest to kill off?

Without mentioning names, he says the Red Wedding was the hardest thing he's ever written, which he had to put off until the rest of the book was finished to complete.

"I wrote the other wedding where someone else dies and that one was easy and fun to write, because you know, everyone wanted to see that little shit die," he says. "Even at the moment that particular little shit does die, I tried to write it so that you would feel empathy for him in that moment of dying and bring home too that this is a human being who is scared, and terrified, and then dead."

"It's a little like killing a part of yourself or smothering one of your children, but sometimes it has to be done for the almighty god of the story," he says. "The story always comes first."

There is no one, however, Martin feels would have been more expedient not to kill. "There was a reason for all of the major character deaths," he says. "A lot of minor character dies too and sometimes I don't even remember they're dead."
theres also plenty of instances where he brings in new major characters or where you were told from one persons perspective that a major character died, but is really still alive.  it keeps you on your toes
eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom

Winston_Churchill wrote:

where you were told from one persons perspective that a major character died, but is really still alive.  it keeps you on your toes
i suppose thats pretty cool but i guess I just see keeping a character alive in a story like that as a sign of better writing talent than jumping at the chance to kill someone off and get giddy with the expected disappointment from the reader.
Tu Stultus Es
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

is it though?  id say most blockbuster writers are too scared to kill off major characters in big series like this one
eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom

Winston_Churchill wrote:

is it though?  id say most blockbuster writers are too scared to kill off major characters in big series like this one
whould you say doing the exact opposite on a much greater degree is talent?  I wouldnt.  I cant truly criticize this dude because I havent read a word of his work so it would be unfair for me to do so.  I would pick it up but ivce got about 7 books i promised myself id read like 4 months ago
Tu Stultus Es
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

Aries_37 wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

completed all released books.

i hate how anticlimactic the deaths of most of the major characters are.  he really doesnt want to leave any likeable characters left at the end of this, does he?

im also quite interested to see if arya actually ends up playing a role in this at some point.
Yeah it's really hard to get attached to anyone knowing they could get offed at any moment.
Somebody has commitment issues
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6534|Long Island, New York
I just read an "event" in Book 3 that no matter how much you think you expect it, you will not. I promise you.

I swear I almost threw the book against the wall. I'm almost hesitant to keep reading rightn ow.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

https://i.imgur.com/tMO9D.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
Let it be known that I, Alexander, first of his name of house Jew, have not yet thrown one book against said wall.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Poseidon wrote:

I just read an "event" in Book 3 that no matter how much you think you expect it, you will not. I promise you.

I swear I almost threw the book against the wall. I'm almost hesitant to keep reading rightn ow.

Winston_Churchill wrote:

his role is going to get 100x harder.

seriously though, (book 3 spoilers)
basically everyone dies in the book.  this is nuts.  and if you thought eddard starks decapitation was bad... wait till rob gets backstabbed and murdered at a wedding, gets his and his wolf's heads cut off and they sew the wolfs head onto robs.  grrm is seriously messed up
?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

If i wasnt already reading two books I'd pick it up
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
@WC - I'm up to page 750. Afraid to read spoilers at this point

I was talking about the Red Wedding. Fuck, I know characters die a lot in this series, but 1) I never expected Roose Bolton to betray Robb 2) I didn't expect Robb to die in THIS fashion... though I figured with the whole leech burning thing with Melisandre he was bound to die just as Balon did and 3) I always expected Catelyn to survive to at least book 5. Honestly, even though characters die so suddenly and often, it was still pretty shocking to read. And come on, Grey Wind too? And beheaded? And his head sewn on Robb's body?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Poseidon wrote:

@WC - I'm up to page 750.
And it's not like line spacing changes between different editions and publications of a book.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

banning myself from the topic.. lol
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
hey look it's aussiereaper trying to make a funny and not contributing

hi aussiereaper LoL
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Poseidon wrote:

hey look it's aussiereaper trying to make a funny and not contributing

hi aussiereaper LoL
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Poseidon wrote:

I was talking about the Red Wedding. Fuck, I know characters die a lot in this series, but 1) I never expected Roose Bolton to betray Robb 2) I didn't expect Robb to die in THIS fashion... though I figured with the whole leech burning thing with Melisandre he was bound to die just as Balon did and 3) I always expected Catelyn to survive to at least book 5. Honestly, even though characters die so suddenly and often, it was still pretty shocking to read. And come on, Grey Wind too? And beheaded? And his head sewn on Robb's body?
read what i said a while ago .  not everyone who dies stays dead.  way too much voodoo revival going on.

that said, there are very few main characters from the beginning of the novels left at the end of the 5th.

but the red wedding was especially bad, that was probably the hardest of all the things to read
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

read what i said a while ago .  not everyone who dies stays dead.  way too much voodoo revival going on.

that said, there are very few main characters from the beginning of the novels left at the end of the 5th.

but the red wedding was especially bad, that was probably the hardest of all the things to read
I know. I accidentally spoiled myself on the Wiki of Ice And Fire site. I had a feeling after it happened with Beric multiple times.

Heard book 4 sucks and book 5 is phenomenal. Should be done with book 3 by tmw so I'll just judge for myself I guess.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

books 4 and 5 occur at the same time but are split between viewpoints - 4 is in kings landing almost entirely while 5 is basically everywhere else.  4 gets long and tedious since its soooo much kings landing politics and 5 is exciting since theres so many battles and places where things are happening.  however, there are more incredibly important things that happen in book 4 than in 5 IMO
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
Ah, okay. Yeah, I had heard that AFFC ditches the single person view point for something else. Makes me a little less wary for it now.

Sucks there's no Dany in book 4, but I can only imagine her part in ADWD is pretty awesome. After what she did to get the Unsullied on her side, she became my favorite character.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard