Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6535|Long Island, New York
says he started GOT in 1991, was published in 1996... and then clash of kings and storm of swords took 2 years to come out, a feast for crows took 5 years (probably took some time off), dance with dragons is coming out next month and took 6... hope he gets to the last 2 before he croaks lol
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Poseidon wrote:

Started reading the books. Got about 100 pages in for the first one last night. Honestly, it makes me like the show even more. It's so incredibly detailed. I always give credit to authors of fantasy/sci fi series who can truly create another universe and still allow people to become immersed into it. GRRM really is in a league of his own.

If anybody here hasn't read the books, do it. The first one is flying by for me. I should be done with it by next Tuesday or so, if not sooner.
would you reccomend reading the books first or watching the series?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6573|London

Poseidon wrote:

says he started GOT in 1991, was published in 1996... and then clash of kings and storm of swords took 2 years to come out, a feast for crows took 5 years (probably took some time off), dance with dragons is coming out next month and took 6... hope he gets to the last 2 before he croaks lol
The last book shouldn't have taken this long. He basically re-wrote the whole thing at some point.

@Aussie- it's a tough call. The series follows the books so closely and a lot of lines are lifted verbatim. Reading the book after watching a lot of the series was quite difficult, but now I've finished the book I can't bring myself to watch the last 2 eps at all lol
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Aries_37 wrote:

but now I've finished the book I can't bring myself to watch the last 2 eps at all lol
why's that?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6573|London
Just a case of knowing what's going to happen already. The books at least have a fair amount of details and character development that the tv show lacks. Right now I'm more interested in finishing the other books than finishing the tv series.

So yeah, thinking about it it's probably better to watch the show first.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

AussieReaper wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Started reading the books. Got about 100 pages in for the first one last night. Honestly, it makes me like the show even more. It's so incredibly detailed. I always give credit to authors of fantasy/sci fi series who can truly create another universe and still allow people to become immersed into it. GRRM really is in a league of his own.

If anybody here hasn't read the books, do it. The first one is flying by for me. I should be done with it by next Tuesday or so, if not sooner.
Hmm... that's tough. Seeing the first season did give me a good visual representation of a very descriptive book, but I don't think it's necessary. The books won't give you as much of dramatic "shock" factor that certain events have, but they're much more descriptive and allow for much better character development. For example, Yoren. In the books he's very well described and has his solid place. In the series I didn't feel that at all. Same thing with Septa Mordane. There's also several events which receive more coverage in the show than they do in the books (and vice versa), such as when the knight gets a splinter through his throat during the jousts. They barely touch on it and make it out to be a big event in the book, but in the show it's this big "shock".

In the end I'd probably recommend reading the books first. Get your own description/visualization in your head first and then let HBO/GRRM show you what they think everything looks like.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

AussieReaper wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

The books are well worth reading. It was a mixed blessing that I knew what was coming in the show. On the one hand it would've been nice to have been surprised by the story, but on the other it was pretty damn cool seeing what I'd read come to life on the screen. There's probably going to be at least five seasons of the show so you might as well read them now if you're ever going to.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

People are telling me I should watch this. People who know my general interest.  Agree?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6688|Devon, England
Hell yes.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6807|Nårvei

Kmar wrote:

People are telling me I should watch this. People who know my general interest.  Agree?
Nah ... I watched some of the first episodes and they didn't impress me much ... but then again I haven't read any of the books ... a friend of mine mentioned it was the best series ever but he also said Pacific was better than Band of Brothers so I don't use him as a reference ... for anything ever again
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom
the first episodes didnt impress me either.  started getting interested around episode 3
Tu Stultus Es
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6629|949

Kmar wrote:

you'd probably like it, me thinks.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

eleven bravo wrote:

the first episodes didnt impress me either.  started getting interested around episode 3
^

besides some incest and beheading, the first episodes were mostly a "set up"  kind of thing.. really starts getting exciting when Bran is almost murdered.

I also can't stand Littlefinger/Lord Baelish, even in the books.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Poseidon wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

^

besides some incest and beheading, the first episodes were mostly a "set up"  kind of thing.. really starts getting exciting when Bran is almost murdered.

He plays his part.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6566|Mountains of NC

Kmar wrote:

we'll have to watch together ( I haven't watched either ) ..... guys nite in
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

Poseidon wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

^

It alway takes a few episodes for people to get hooked. Rome, Dexter, and Deadwood were all the same for me.

Sere, lets make it co-ed.
https://i.imgur.com/5WzCN.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6341
I like the dwarf, he should be king.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6437|Brisbane, Australia

Sisco wrote:

Yeh, really looking forward to (end of season 1 spoilers) Spoiler (highlight to read):
Tyrion being Hand to Joffrey. Fuck that kid, and I am sure he will get plenty of abuse from Tyrion..
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Jay wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

also can't stand Littlefinger/Lord Baelish, even in the books.
He plays his part.
He's my favorite character.
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.

Sisco wrote:

Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4840|Amsterdam

jord wrote:

Sisco wrote:

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Jay wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

^

He plays his part.
And that's why I hate him so much! He was designed to be hated. At least that's what it seems like so far. Halfway done with the first book, should move on to A Clash of Kings by the end of this week.

If I had to choose a favorite character thus far it's probably Jon Snow.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Poseidon wrote:

Jay wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

^

He plays his part.
And that's why I hate him so much! He was designed to be hated. At least that's what it seems like so far. Halfway done with the first book, should move on to A Clash of Kings by the end of this week.

If I had to choose a favorite character thus far it's probably Jon Snow.
Jon is pretty kick ass. My favorites are him, Arya, and Beric Dondarrion.

Edit - Oh, and Tyrion.

Last edited by Jay (2011-06-28 16:02:50)

-Frederick Bastiat
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6736|Toronto | Canada

tyrion and arya are the best.

i cant fucking stand sansa in the books, shes an absolute bitch.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6598|132 and Bush

up to s1e7 which essentially includes 15 minutes of lesbian action.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard