Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England
it's a forum rule
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
so funny i forgot to laugh
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

eleven bravo wrote:

so funny i forgot to laugh
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
i know you are but what am i
Tu Stultus Es
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

It is an okay show. Walking dead is the terrible show everyone likes. Zombie fighting ninjas.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
havent seen it.  i dont usually like following the hype.  I do like this show though but i wouldnt read the books.
Tu Stultus Es
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

I wouldn't call reading the books dumb but series books are basically just money making exercises. If you are going to commit time to a large piece if fiction, you could find better things to read. Especially since the whole thing is being made into a tv show.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
i tend to read history books
Tu Stultus Es
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6576|London
Latest episode was kinda boring as well
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5475|Ventura, California
He couldn't get it up with that hottie? Are you fucking kidding me?!

Tyrion is the only person in this show with any brain. That guy is awesome!

Also Theon's sister is hot
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6470

-Sh1fty- wrote:

He couldn't get it up with that hottie? Are you fucking kidding me?!

Tyrion is the only person in this show with any brain. That guy is awesome!

Also Theon's sister is hot
God damn it Shifty.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
rdx-fx
+955|6593

Uzique wrote:

all fantasy except for a few very rare high examples is just recycled schlock for mongs and teen losers. it's part and parcel of the genre.
Who cares?

It's mindless entertainment.  Not high literature.

Critiquing fantasy-genre entertainment from the perspective of an arts/literature expert
is like a veteran critiquing the realism and tactical authenticity of Battlefield or Call of Duty games.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
i'm just pointing out that obvious difference. eleven b is complaining this is just rewritten historical allegory. i'm saying that's par for the course for fantasy, where it's often more about elf titties than about compelling narrative. if you enjoy that sort of dross, that's your taste and prerogative.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Roc18
`
+655|5792|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

War Man wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Brasso wrote:

yeah thats totally gross

in fact i couldnt hear what him and loras were talking about because everyone else around me was busy crying cause of cooties etc etc

probably going to watch it again - audio only
it was only two men kissing.
I did not need to see that, thank God my dad fast forwarded.
>Homophobic
>Virgin
>Religious
>With assburgers

I feel sorry for you
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4844|Amsterdam

rdx-fx wrote:

Uzique wrote:

all fantasy except for a few very rare high examples is just recycled schlock for mongs and teen losers. it's part and parcel of the genre.
Who cares?

It's mindless entertainment.  Not high literature.

Critiquing fantasy-genre entertainment from the perspective of an arts/literature expert
is like a veteran critiquing the realism and tactical authenticity of Battlefield or Call of Duty games.
I can deal with a movie or TV-show being mindless entertainment, but i never viewed books that way.
I've read my fair share of thrillers and other action packed turds slapped between two covers and believe me, you simply can't handle that as a simple movie.
I don;t know about you, but my standards are quite a bit higher when it comes to reading, because you really have to commit to it for several hours. you can't properly read a book whilst devoting only 50% of your brain capacity to it, you can with a movie or show like game of thrones.

I love the TV-show, no argument there, but I would never read the books. fantasy is just one big no-no for me as far as reading goes.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
i do like sci fi though
Tu Stultus Es
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
i scorn and look down on everyone i see on the london underground reading these mass-market 'fashionable' fictions. guys in suits. business-men. women and mothers. people from all across the spectrum of middle-class professional working life reading some fantasy-hit, just because it's the "in-thing" being discussed around the water-cooler at the office. people who read these books are fucking idiots.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
You're such a condescending prick if you're serious Uzique. Who are you to say what is quality entertainment? Each person has individual tastes. Some may absolutely love the Game of Thrones books while they hate the show and vice versa.

Who are you to judge what literature is shit or not? The only thing you can do that to is the grammatical side of things if there are errors or if it is poorly written for comprehension. The story itself is not up for you to judge as far as others go. You can't say a person is an idiot because they like it. That's just a douchy character trait.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
lol
Tu Stultus Es
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6740|Toronto | Canada

youre not very good at sarcasm detection
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472

-Sh1fty- wrote:

You're such a condescending prick if you're serious Uzique. Who are you to say what is quality entertainment? Each person has individual tastes. Some may absolutely love the Game of Thrones books while they hate the show and vice versa.

Who are you to judge what literature is shit or not? The only thing you can do that to is the grammatical side of things if there are errors or if it is poorly written for comprehension. The story itself is not up for you to judge as far as others go. You can't say a person is an idiot because they like it. That's just a douchy character trait.
LOL you are a fucking idiot.

but who are you to decide whether or not other christian's interpretation and opinion of the bible is right or wrong? all you can do is check for comma splices and proper subordinate clauses! looks like you just ruined your own life, you dumb shit.
rdx-fx
+955|6593

Uzique wrote:

i scorn and look down on everyone i see on the london underground reading these mass-market 'fashionable' fictions. guys in suits. business-men. women and mothers. people from all across the spectrum of middle-class professional working life reading some fantasy-hit, just because it's the "in-thing" being discussed around the water-cooler at the office. people who read these books are fucking idiots.
You do a fair impression of Bret Easton Ellis' writing style there
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
easton ellis would have two paragraphs detailing the brands of said-business suits and the shops where the women have been shopping, sporting the twill-handled bags and the designer babywear of their kids. my point is that people that don't care about fantasy or any sort of genre-fiction read this because it's on the british equivalent of the oprah book club. the oprah book club should be classed as a crime against humanity. it's sheepism of the worst sort, masquerading as slightly middle-brow (because of course, in today's insta-everything world of dominant low culture, even by virtue of reading a book you are a high-brow intellectual). call me an asshat if you want, but i do feel sorry for these people that have their tastes dictated to them by what their co-worker is reading. people who feel they have to participate in these mass orgies of reading and spectation in order to be a valid part of their social milieu. it's very strange. then again i've never had that relationship to literature, literature qua fashion accessory.

Last edited by Uzique (2012-04-16 13:10:25)

rdx-fx
+955|6593

Uzique wrote:

it's sheepism of the worst sort, masquerading as slightly middle-brow (because of course, in today's insta-everything world of dominant low culture, even by virtue of reading a book you are a high-brow intellectual). call me an asshat if you want, but i do feel sorry for these people that have their tastes dictated to them by what their co-worker is reading. people who feel they have to participate in these mass orgies of reading and spectation in order to be a valid part of their social milieu. it's very strange. then again i've never had that relationship to literature, literature qua fashion accessory.
I agree with the sentiment.

But judging everyone by their standards of music, literature, and entertainment at every conceivable interval.. gets to sounding a bit shrill after a while.

Let it go.
World's full of "mongs", idiots, and general walking refuse.
Fuck 'em. 
World's always been that way.
Railing about it is a waste of energy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard