Stimey
­
+786|6091|Ontario | Canada
http://gawker.com/5806220/where-does-se … -of-murder

Where Does Self Defense End? Killer of Robber Convicted of Murder

Hamilton Nolan — In May of 2009, Oklahoma City pharmacist Jerome Ersland was at work when two teenagers came in to rob his store. What happens is caught on the surveillance video above:

1. Two teens burst into the store, one of them waving a gun.
2. Ersland shoots at them. The one with the gun runs out the door; the other is hit and falls.
3. Ersland exits the store in pursuit of the fleeing robber. Failing to catch him, he comes back into the store.
4. Ersland walks back behind the counter and retrieves a second gun.
5. Ersland walks back to where the fallen robber is, leans down, and shoots him multiple times, killing him.

Yesterday, Ersland was found guilty of first-degree murder. He faces life in prison. The case has divided public opinion along perfectly predictable lines. So we're just going to leave that set of facts right there, and you can all say what you think.
­
­
­
­
­
­
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6630|BC, Canada
Self-defense ended after he shot him the first time, it was all execution after that. Deserves the murder charge.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5208|Cleveland, Ohio
that is murder

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2011-05-28 11:12:48)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6661|Tampa Bay Florida

Nic wrote:

Self-defense ended after he shot him the first time, it was all execution after that. Deserves the murder charge.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
He didn't have to fucking finish him. Eye for an eye.
11 Bravo
Banned
however i say fuck the punk
11 Bravo
Banned
when you point a gun at someone you get what you deserve.  period.  but, it is murder i agree.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6630|BC, Canada

11 Bravo wrote:

however i say fuck the punk
This also, but not quite as harsh. Kid made the decision to do something stupid that could get him or someone else killed and it didn't work out for him. I did a lot of stupid shit when I was a kid myself, nothing this dumb. But kids are idiots.

Clear cut stupid from both sides.

Last edited by Nic (2011-05-28 11:18:44)

11 Bravo
Banned
no now hold on.  you dont know how you would react if two people were pointing a gun at you.  adrenaline and anger and all that shit.  i wouldnt equate both acts to stupidity.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6630|BC, Canada
The kid made the stupid decision to rob the place.
The man made the stupid decision to get his other gun and kill the already injured and disarmed kid.
True, I don't know how I would react, but if I did react the same, it wouldn't make it any less stupid.
11 Bravo
Banned

Nic wrote:

The kid made the stupid decision to rob the place.
The man made the stupid decision to get his other gun and kill the already injured and disarmed kid.
True, I don't know how I would react, but if I did react the same, it wouldn't make it any less stupid.
i dont agree.  premeditation and doing something stupid is...stupid.

reacting to a life threatening situation is not stupid.  its just emotions.  sadly it is murder but i would not call it stupid.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
Sometimes knowing how to control your emotions is part of being not stupid.
11 Bravo
Banned

Superior Mind wrote:

Sometimes knowing how to control your emotions is part of being not stupid.
get real
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6630|BC, Canada
I see your point, but an adrenalin fueled decision is still a decision. I admit that the level of stupidity is different. But isn't that the difference between Murder 1 and Murder 2? Pre-meditated and caught up in the moment?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
hop off my dick son
eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom

11 Bravo wrote:

that is murder
Tu Stultus Es
11 Bravo
Banned

Superior Mind wrote:

hop off my dick son
whats the most dangerous thing youve ever encountered?  pulled up you fly too fast?  dropped your bag of weed?  save it.
11 Bravo
Banned

Nic wrote:

But isn't that the difference between Murder 1 and Murder 2? Pre-meditated and caught up in the moment?
correct
eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom
what pisses me off about this is when a marine does this to a wounded insurgent as he's clearing a building in the middle of the most dangerous place on the planet, he gets court martialed and jailed.  when some white dude executes some dumb american kid, he's a hero.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom

11 Bravo wrote:

Nic wrote:

But isn't that the difference between Murder 1 and Murder 2? Pre-meditated and caught up in the moment?
correct
depends on the state law.
Tu Stultus Es
11 Bravo
Banned

eleven bravo wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Nic wrote:

correct
depends on the state law.
true
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663

11 Bravo wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

hop off my dick son
whats the most dangerous thing youve ever encountered?  pulled up you fly too fast?  dropped your bag of weed?  save it.
Fuck you; you don't know shit about me.

@gs: you're right. We're supposed to be saviors abroad and street sweepers at home.
11 Bravo
Banned
well at least they were not black so i dont have to hear sharpton or jackson
Blue Herring
+13|4775
Hopefully it scared that other kid straight.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6382|'Murka

11 Bravo wrote:

well at least they were not black so i dont have to hear sharpton or jackson
The kid he killed was black.

Sorry if I missed the sarcasm tags.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard