13/f/taiwan
+940|5702
Now before anyone here gets confused, it is NOT the infamous Immigration Bill Arizona pushed for a year ago. This law is something similar to it. It goes after businesses who knowingly and willingly hire illegal immigrants.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/26/scotus … =obnetwork

Washington (CNN) wrote:

The Supreme Court has backed an Arizona law that punishes businesses hiring illegal immigrants, a law that opponents, including the Obama administration, say steps on traditional federal oversight over immigration matters.

The 5-3 ruling Thursday is a victory for supporters of immigration reform on the state level.

It was the first high court challenge to a variety of recent state laws cracking down on illegal immigrants, an issue that has become a political lightning rod.

The outcome could serve as a judicial warmup for a separate high-profile challenge to a more controversial Arizona immigration reform law working its way through lower courts. That statute would, among other things, give local police a greater role in arresting suspected illegal immigrants.

The hiring case turned on whether state law tramples on federal authority.

"Arizona has taken the route least likely to cause tension with federal law," wrote Chief Justice John Roberts. "It relies solely on the federal government's own determination of who is an unauthorized alien, and it requires Arizona employers to use the federal government's own system for checking employee status."

Arizona passed the Legal Arizona Workers Act in 2007, allowing the state to suspend the licenses of businesses that "intentionally or knowingly" violate work-eligibility verification requirements. Companies would be required under that law to use E-Verify, a federal database to check the documentation of current and prospective employees. That database had been created by Congress as a voluntary, discretionary resource.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce filed a lawsuit against the state, arguing that federal law prohibits Arizona and other states from making E-Verify use mandatory. The group was supported by a variety of civil rights and immigration rights groups. The state countered that its broad licensing authority gives it the right to monitor businesses within its jurisdiction.

The Obama administration recommended a judicial review and sided with businesses and civil rights groups.

A 1986 federal act significantly limited state power to separately regulate the hiring and employment of "unauthorized" workers. An exception was made for local "licensing and similar laws." Under the law, employees are required to review documentation to confirm someone's right to work in the United States, including checking the familiar I-9 immigration form. Civil and criminal penalties were strengthened, but businesses making a "good faith" effort to comply with I-9 procedures were generally immune from prosecution.

Roberts, backed by his four conservative colleagues, said, "Arizona went the extra mile in ensuring that its law tracks (the federal law's) provisions in all material aspects."

In dissent, Justice Sonia Sotomayor noted E-Verify is a voluntary program and said criticism that the federal government is not doing enough to enforce the law is irrelevant.

"Permitting states to make use of E-Verify mandatory improperly puts states in the position of making decisions ... that directly affect expenditure and depletion of federal resources," she wrote. Justices Stephen Breyer and Ruth Bader Ginsburg also dissented.

Justice Elena Kagan did not participate in the case, since she had been the administration's solicitor general last year when the case was being appealed to the high court.

Gov. Jan Brewer had backed the law, saying in December when the case was argued, "The bottom line is that we believe that if the (federal) government isn't going to do the job, then Arizona is going to do the job. We are faced with a crisis."

This case could serve as a bellwether to how the court will view a larger, more controversial state immigration law from Arizona. Much of that statute was tossed out by a federal judge in August and is pending at a federal appeals court. It would, among other things, give police authority to check a person's immigration status if officers have a "reasonable suspicion" that the individual is in the country illegally.

The hiring case is Chamber of Commerce v. Whiting (09-115)
Now if they can somehow enforce this law all across Arizona, how long will it be until a good chunk of the working class leave? And how long will Arizona be able to sustain it's economy without any cheap labor?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5361|London, England
You'd think the Obama administration would love a ruling like this. The primary beneficiaries are those that don't want competition in the workplace i.e. unions.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13/f/taiwan
+940|5702
It was a 5-3 decision; Keagan stepped down. 5 conservatives and 3 liberals. The Democrats were thinking of the future voters it would bring in. If they side with the illegals its so those red states can go blue.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
The whole immigration debate doesn't line up with either parties ideology. You'd think the Republicans would welcome the cheap labor that illegal immigrants represent while you'd expect the Democrats to be the reactionary anti-immigration party. It doesn't make any sense.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6545|Texas - Bigger than France

Jay wrote:

You'd think the Obama administration would love a ruling like this. The primary beneficiaries are those that don't want competition in the workplace i.e. unions.
Yeah, except that 57% of the Hispanic voters are registered democrats, vs 34% registered republican
13rin
+977|6482

Jay wrote:

The whole immigration debate doesn't line up with either parties ideology. You'd think the Republicans would welcome the cheap labor that illegal immigrants represent while you'd expect the Democrats to be the reactionary anti-immigration party. It doesn't make any sense.
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/nakedpol … ander.html
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5589

13/f/taiwan wrote:

It was a 5-3 decision; Keagan stepped down. 5 conservatives and 3 liberals. The Democrats were thinking of the future voters it would bring in. If they side with the illegals its so those red states can go blue.
I wouldn't bet on the South American influx blowing out the GOP in the south.  The GOP could hold onto their cores if they manage to sell the Mexicans social issues in exchange for fucking them economically like they already do with the poor southern whites.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6501

Jay wrote:

It doesn't make any sense.
it hasn't made sense for years now. neither party will stand up for it's core values, and they both keep running planks and they both jump on which ever bandwagon will get them elected.
Blue Herring
+13|4808

burnzz wrote:

Jay wrote:

It doesn't make any sense.
it hasn't made sense for years now. neither party will stand up for it's core values, and they both keep running planks and they both jump on which ever bandwagon will get them elected.
That makes perfect sense to me.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6717|Purplicious Wisconsin

Jay wrote:

While burnz's statement is true. It makes sense to me, unlike you.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

War Man wrote:

Jay wrote:

That's because you're a mouth breather.
-Frederick Bastiat
War Man

Jay wrote:

War Man wrote:

Jay wrote:

Care explaining?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6541|Long Island, New York

Jay wrote:

War Man wrote:

Jay wrote:

+1.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5705|College Park, MD
I don't get what the problem with this is
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
War Man

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I don't get what the problem with this is
Just Democrats complaining to Republicans as usual.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6678|Canberra, AUS

Jay wrote:

War Man wrote:

Jay wrote:

War Man wrote:

Care explaining?
Pure gold. Jay wins it.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard