FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6423|'Murka

ghettoperson wrote:

I personally think South Park put it best with their 'fag' episode. Society has adopted the word for other purposes, it doesn't have the same meaning or posses any hatred towards a specific group any more. Personally I think that's a good thing if we can move past the past usage. It's the same deal with retarded, and to an extent gay. Using gay is a tough one, since its still used in its original context. I obviously don't mean any offence to gay people when I say it, and to be honest I'd probably prefer if I could stop using it, but force of habit, you know? I have gay friends who I've heard using gay in the same way. It's just part of common language with our generation.

I think racist slurs are more difficult just because there are plenty of people still alive today who lived in a time when society was less equal and those words were used to demean them. It'll probably take a lot longer to move past those words, but I'm quite sure we eventually will.
A great point. However, the term "retarded" has taken the opposite track, historically. It went from a benign, medical term and was hijacked by society to become a term with negative application and connotation beyond its original use.

I'm still amazed by people who are defending their ability to hurt people who've done nothing to them, and will never do anything to them.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6509

FEOS wrote:

I'm still amazed by people who are defending their ability to hurt people who've done nothing to them, and will never do anything to them.
i'm not. it's not about hurting them, it's about boosting their own ego.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6661

FEOS wrote:

I'm not entirely sure if you mean me with that, but I can assure you it's nothing to do with hurting people.
FEOS
+1,182|6423|'Murka

ghettoperson wrote:

FEOS wrote:

I'm not entirely sure if you mean me with that, but I can assure you it's nothing to do with hurting people.
But see, the problem is...it does. And yet people are still defending it.

And no...wasn't directed specifically at you, ghetto.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5249|Cleveland, Ohio

Spark wrote:

i've never understood why people are so proud of their right to be a dickhead. i mean, sure, you can, but you're still a dickhead.
dont call people dickheads because thats being a dickhead...derp
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6580|Mountains of NC

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/Come-at-me-bro.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
jord
+2,382|6690|The North, beyond the wall.

FEOS wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

FEOS wrote:

People are defending the use of the word within a social dynamic of which there is nobody there who it directly applies to/offends. Nobody is defending the use of the word against someone with learning difficulties.

It's too ingrained in vocabulary to stop anytime soon.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5271|foggy bottom
shut up you limey fuck
Tu Stultus Es
jord
I'm not even going to dignify someones existance if they can't maintain a 1.5KDR on bc2...
eleven bravo
+1,399|5271|foggy bottom
nerd alert
Tu Stultus Es
jord
you're shit at shogun as well

triggerhappy998- Edit:

Take it to pm's guys.

Last edited by jord (2011-05-27 11:22:29)

FEOS
+1,182|6423|'Murka

jord wrote:

FEOS wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

People are defending the use of the word within a social dynamic of which there is nobody there who it directly applies to/offends. Nobody is defending the use of the word against someone with learning difficulties.

The point being, few of those same people use those other epithets with the same frequency in that same social dynamic, and if they do, don't defend their use so strongly. Because they realize those things are indefensible, so they don't even try. But it's OK when it's a person with a mental handicap that's involved? Then it's somehow defensible?

And being "ingrained in vocabulary" makes it OK?
― Albert Einstein

Blue Herring
+13|4817

FEOS wrote:

jord wrote:

FEOS wrote:

The point being, few of those same people use those other epithets with the same frequency in that same social dynamic, and if they do, don't defend their use so strongly. Because they realize those things are indefensible, so they don't even try. But it's OK when it's a person with a mental handicap that's involved? Then it's somehow defensible?

Honestly I don't see the problem with any word anywhere. I got called shit 10x worse than any "racial slur" back in school for being white, if they really can't stand you using a specific word, they can go somewhere else. The only reason "nigger" has such a bad stigma attached to it in modern day is how close to home it hits and how fresh the use of the word still was. Give it some time, and the word will be just like any other "naughty word".  Kids will use it to sound mature, adults will use it when they're really pissed off/drunk, and a select few with really really tight assholes will demand your mouth be washed out with soap.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6671|BC, Canada

Blue Herring wrote:

FEOS wrote:

jord wrote:

Honestly I don't see the problem with any word anywhere. I got called shit 10x worse than any "racial slur" back in school for being white, if they really can't stand you using a specific word, they can go somewhere else. The only reason "nigger" has such a bad stigma attached to it in modern day is how close to home it hits and how fresh the use of the word still was. Give it some time, and the word will be just like any other "naughty word".  Kids will use it to sound mature, adults will use it when they're really pissed off/drunk, and a select few with really really tight assholes will demand your mouth be washed out with soap.
How a word may be used in the future is not really an argument about how you can use it in the present.

ot: Simple fact is, if we stop using words that offend people, they will only find new words or actions that offend them. You can't please everyone.

In certain situations or company a word will be offensive to a unintended target, in others it won't be, and will not be taken as an attack on one of those that would be offended if the happened to be there. Arguing that me calling my friend retarded for say, hiking into avalanche country, alone, without proper equipment is an attack on mentally handi-capped people is stupid and people that think that it is are retarded for doing so.
Graphic-J
The Artist formerly known as GraphicArtist-J
+196|6138|So Cal
Words only have the power that the listener/reader allows.
https://i44.tinypic.com/28vg66s.jpg
Blue Herring
+13|4817

Nic wrote:

Blue Herring wrote:

FEOS wrote:

How a word may be used in the future is not really an argument about how you can use it in the present.
The issue is how people will react, and right now people are whiny little shits. It doesn't change until people find something else to whine about.

ot: Simple fact is, if we stop using words that offend people, they will only find new words or actions that offend them. You can't please everyone.
Of course they will, "power through manipulation".

In certain situations or company a word will be offensive to a unintended target, in others it won't be, and will not be taken as an attack on one of those that would be offended if the happened to be there. Arguing that me calling my friend retarded for say, hiking into avalanche country, alone, without proper equipment is an attack on mentally handi-capped people is stupid and people that think that it is are retarded for doing so.
That's right. If you say it around a person with intellectual deficiencies and you weren't meaning it as an attack on them, it's still not an attack on them. The only reason they take offense is because they're taught to, and the only reason they're taught to is because it gives power to those teaching. It's a Sociological form of terrorism in which it is proclaimed that "one group of people may say what they want wherever they want while another group of people shall be chastised for it". And what's the logic? One group ancestors fucked over another group's ancestors.

Last edited by Blue Herring (2011-05-27 13:21:54)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5800|Catherine Black
So are we not allowed to say stupid now? Or idiot? Or anything else that describes less than normal intelligence?

This thread is fucking retarded, it's a word, it's been adopted into the language and this is it's use. Get over it.

I understand you have a child FEOS who is classed as retarded? Correct me if I'm wrong. I could understand why you would take offence if you saw this word being used everywhere, but nobody is walking up to your child and calling him/her retarded to his/her face. The intention of using the word in an offensive manner is to cause offence to the person we're talking to, not people who are actually classed as retarded.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4980|Dundee, Scotland.

Finray wrote:

So are we not allowed to say stupid now? Or idiot? Or anything else that describes less than normal intelligence?

This thread is fucking retarded, it's a word, it's been adopted into the language and this is it's use. Get over it.

I understand you have a child FEOS who is classed as retarded? Correct me if I'm wrong. I could understand why you would take offence if you saw this word being used everywhere, but nobody is walking up to your child and calling him/her retarded to his/her face. The intention of using the word in an offensive manner is to cause offence to the person we're talking to, not people who are actually classed as retarded.
So it's socially acceptable that I call you a nigger in public?

Or if I was to call you a faggot in front of a gay person?

Or use any racial slur in public?

No.

Yes, the word has gone from a medical term to a mainstream insult, but that still doesn't make it acceptable.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
Yes, it is. The only people are going to be offended are over-sensitive people. Not every single black person is going to be offended by that word. They know that by saying to me for example "Sup my nigger" you're not saying "What's up Fin, oh by the way I really hate black people and everything about them nigger nigger nigger". That's just DUMB. It's a fucking word.

Same story for faggot or gay. PC gone mad.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Finray wrote:

Yes, it is. The only people are going to be offended are over-sensitive people. Not every single black person is going to be offended by that word. They know that by saying to me for example "Sup my nigger" you're not saying "What's up Fin, oh by the way I really hate black people and everything about them nigger nigger nigger". That's just DUMB. It's a fucking word.

Same story for faggot or gay. PC gone mad.
It's not "pc gone mad", black people on the whole get offended by a white person's use of the word "nigger".
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
No, stupid black people get offended.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Finray wrote:

No, stupid black people get offended.
it's a racial slur.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
fantastic riposte.
rdx-fx
+955|6603
Ungoodspeek is Crimethink, citizen.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6661

I *hate* people saying PC gone mad. Such a Daily Mail phrase.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard