FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

I realize many here throw this word around quite a bit.

Thoughts on the message?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I agree, people don't think about a lot of words they use.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6145|Sydney | ♥

I wouldn't call a retard a retard... but i'd call my best mate a retard, cause he isn't one.

D:
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Benzin
+576|5969
It's not a word that should be used, but I don't think anyone ever would call someone with a mental handicap a "retard". To do so simply shows how much of an idiot you are. I personally don't ever really use the word myself, but if you call someone a retard who isn't a retard, then I suppose that's different.
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6703|Cambridge, England
People shouldn't be allowed to talk as some people may find it offensive. Period.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5207|Cleveland, Ohio
oh brother
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom

11 Bravo wrote:

oh brother
Tu Stultus Es
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
everything is offensive in the right/wrong context...

it's 99% intent and 1% etymology
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York
I was criticized on another forum for saying "Sweet Baby Jesus".

It's kind of insulting to see the name of Jesus invoked in this thread. Especially when it's being said in vain. Christians don't go around saying "Moses on a bike" or Sweet baby Abraham. Why is it OK for the tribe to say things like that?
How far does it go? It's not like you'd call someone a retard in a normal setting... everyone I know including myself just says it jokingly in conversation with friends. You'd never actually call someone who was mentally handicapped a retard... THAT'S insulting.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom

Uzique wrote:

etymology
Im offended by that word.  Could we not use it in the future?
Tu Stultus Es
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

It's never a bad thing to try to refrain from making people around you feel inferior.  Just sayin'.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
My fiancee gets on my case because I use words like gay, fag, retard etc. If I call someone a fag I'm not actually saying "He's a member of the human race that would rather suck penis than penetrate vagina". It's just a word. Is the origin of the word offensive? Yeah, absolutely, but it's lost it's meaning entirely, at least in my mind when I use it. There's zero correlation.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

But, there is correlation to the person that was shoved around and picked on and called a fag ...  ya know?

That's kinda the point.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5207|Cleveland, Ohio

tuckergustav wrote:

It's never a bad thing to try to refrain from making people around you feel inferior.  Just sayin'.
when people do stupid shit or get in your face then they deserve it
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

tuckergustav wrote:

But, there is correlation to the person that was shoved around and picked on and called a fag ...  ya know?
But why on earth would I use it when referencing a gay person? I'm not going to call a gay person a fag or throw around 'that's gay'. It doesn't quite make sense but I've never given a shit about political correctness anyway so whatever.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

11 Bravo wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

Calling someone stupid because they are being stupid is something else entirely...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

tuckergustav wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

Calling someone stupid because they are being stupid is something else entirely...
How is that different from calling a slow person slow? It's not.
-Frederick Bastiat
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

Jay wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

But why on earth would I use it when referencing a gay person? I'm not going to call a gay person a fag or throw around 'that's gay'. It doesn't quite make sense but I've never given a shit about political correctness anyway so whatever.
I don't see it as being PC...I see it as being empathetic.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

tuckergustav wrote:

Jay wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

You're doing more harm by being fake to them.
-Frederick Bastiat
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

Jay wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

Jay wrote:

Why does caring about the way other people feel equal being fake?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York

tuckergustav wrote:

That's kinda the point.
This ad is saying that we shouldn't say "retard" when joking with friends. I'm all for not calling the mentally handicapped a "retard" (or any other insult for that matter... they can't help who they are), but to get pissed because people use it jokingly and in non-serious situations? It's politically correct BS. My friends joke around with me all the time calling me a "Jew", I don't get pissed off. It's a joke. Should we stop saying "dumb" because not everyone has an IQ over 90?

When someone calls someone a "retard", it 99% of the time refers to that person acting like a jackass. Uh oh, have I offended the asinus family?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
on the semiological level you have to remember that words are ultimately just empty signifiers... we as human social subjects fill them with the signification. a word itself means nothing and therefore offends no one.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

tuckergustav wrote:

Jay wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

Why does caring about the way other people feel equal being fake?
Because you can't empathize. Have you ever been gay? Have you ever been retarded? No? Ok, then you can't be empathetic. You don't know what it's like to walk in their shoes. You can only use malformed comparisons.

What you are doing is coddling. It makes them weaker than they already are. They need to learn to stand up and spit in the face of those that try to put them down.
-Frederick Bastiat
tuckergustav
+1,590|5884|...

Well, my personal position is that it isn't the greatest habit in the world...I don't go around calling my girlfriends bitch, whore and slut.  I know girls that do and I don't agree with it.  Everyone feels differently about it.  I choose to not make a habit of it.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
People who try to ban words like retard annoy me.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard