JahManRed
wank
+646|6625|IRELAND

lowing wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

It doesn't take much work to support politicians who would change the laws.

I don't do drugs, and I don't care a ton about drug users, but laws that prohibit what one can and cannot do their own self don't align with my own beliefs.

The other day I saw a comment in a local newspaper about banning cigarettes, something to the effect of "Some people are too dumb for their own good." And I thought to myself, "Wow, you would love living in a fascist state that tells people what they can and cannot do to themselves. Sieg heil!"
Oh I agree with you, problem is, I am not going to vote for some liberal asshole JUST to legalize drugs. What drug dealers and drug users get for punishment, I couldn't care less. If they got life in prison, good riddance. Fuck them.
Id care as it costs more of my tax money here to house a prisoner for a night than for me to stay in a 5star hotel. 12 years living in a five star hotel would be some bill. I'm presuming they get medi care when in there too. I'm not sure what it costs to house a prisoner a night in the US.

Add to that the cost of prosecuting. A police raid here on a weed user comes to
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6494

$31?
jord
+2,382|6675|The North, beyond the wall.

lowing wrote:

1. Kinda missing the point here Jaekus, it is safe to assume that the 1.5g of pot came from a larger source. I have no worries about my kids dealing or taking drugs, they were raised to be better than that, unlike most on this board apparently.
Yes every parent says that.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
lowing as soon as your kids go to college they'll smoke weed
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6408|'Murka

Not every college kid smokes weed.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
when were you last in college?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5234|Cleveland, Ohio

Uzique wrote:

i never smoked weed.  and what does when have to do with anything?
FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

Irrelevant, innit?

You're making an implied claim that every college student smokes pot. Statistics say otherwise.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
i'm sure it's a generational thing. i don't know anyone that hasn't at least tried weed whilst at university. it's not exactly a huge step up just from smoking a cigarette.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468

FEOS wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Irrelevant, innit?

You're making an implied claim that every college student smokes pot. Statistics say otherwise.
obviously i am not trying to maintain that 100% of the college population smokes pot. i'm just saying many more than you'd think (or would admit to statistics) have at least tried it. and your raising/background has little-to-nothing to do with it, which is what lowing is trying to imply - saying that something about 'not being raised right' contributes to someone's susceptability to recreational drug use. i know eton toffs and upcomers from council states that both and the same attend similar parties and do the same drugs. it has nothing to do with social background or raising.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

I don't think I've smoked pot at college? Maybe once or twice whilst drunk. I got that phase out of my system living in Holland though.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
so what is your post saying? that you completely agree with me? and you're an example of it? okay then, thanks for contributing.
FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

i'm sure it's a generational thing. i don't know anyone that hasn't at least tried weed whilst at university. it's not exactly a huge step up just from smoking a cigarette.
You're in a "unique" demographic (no pun intended). People who take other drugs aren't likely to think twice about smoking weed.

If you've got a kid who doesn't smoke and rarely drinks, it's a different story.
― Albert Einstein

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
what's unique about my demographic? you think every one i know does all drugs? you think it was even that way for me 2 years ago? or that my raising had anything to do with it? haha. i've never smoked a cigarette in my life and rarely see the appeal in drinking-- especially binge-drinking or 'drinking to party'. so do i not contradict your claim? a person's raising and their 'habits' in youth have little-to-no bearing on their experimentation phase in college; in fact, it could even contribute to them being more susceptible, psychologically...
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6682|United States of America

Uzique wrote:

It seems here the ony people who smoke cigarettes are Asian kids and a hipster folk. I'm quite positive more people have smoked pot though. I was taken aback when I was hanging out with one of my friends and he started smoking a J.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
regardless of that... i just don't agree with the notion that one's raising has anything to do with how their personalities will react to casual drug use. jesus, look at the most orthodox and conservative youths, like those raised in amish communities or in tight-knit christian neighbourhoods... what happens when they go on rumspringa? don't like half of them end up tweaking on crystal meth? and their entire lifestyle and belief system hinges on the classification of these things as 'evil' and 'sins', damning their souls to eternal hellfire etc.etc. yawn. so i don't think the way you raise an average middle-class american child can exert much influence on the choices they'll personally make when at a college party.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England

Uzique wrote:

It's really made into a much bigger deal than it really is. I don't really understand the 'zomg, I'd never!' people. It's not like if you smoke part of a joint you instantly become a car stereo robbing lowlife.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England
Maybe it's like being gay. If you suck dick once you're gay -> If you smoke pot once you're a loser degenerate stoner for life?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6682|United States of America
That's a good example of those who are denied exposure to that sort of thing, but I'd also be interested in seeing the effects on those who grew up in the opposite environment. In my experience, watching my older sister go through high school and college probably had somewhat of an effect on my decisions. Growing up, my dad couldn't drink because of celiac disease and my mom very occasionally did (although they seem to go through quite a bit of wine nowadays ). My sister probably had a more "normal" exposure to drugs than I did and she had her first drink at 15 or so IIRC. When she got to college, she did the usual drinking and smoking thing and lost her scholarship within the first year. After doing a major she hated, she works in a shitty job that doesn't use her degree and has a few thousand dollars to her name. On the contrary, I've always been rather wary of drinking probably due to not having been exposed to it while growing up (except for my relatives getting smashed at parties).  In college I've never smoked and always turned down drinks at parties and such until I turned 21 when I had one drink ('twas awful).
However, my major is full of pre-med, pre-dent, pre-optometry people and most of the ones I've talked to have had rather similar experiences because they didn't want to blow their chances at professional school by getting arrested.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
that's an incredibly small niche. to find someone over here that has never had a drink would be pretty much impossible.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6736|Toronto | Canada

ive never smoked weed or cigarettes, yet drink fairly frequently at school.  i have no problem with people doing it, and most do, but i personally have no desire to.

the not getting into professional school because i drank once thing is pretty ridiculous, considering engineers (who unquestionably have the hardest program) are well known for having the craziest parties.  if they can manage it i think anyone can.

Uzique wrote:

that's an incredibly small niche. to find someone over here that has never had a drink would be pretty much impossible.
after first year of uni, id agree.  i know plenty that hadn't before going to university though

Last edited by Winston_Churchill (2011-05-27 10:21:47)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
engineers and science geeks over here always throw the lamest parties... haha. funny how that sort of thing changes. i'm not sure it's consistent even across several campuses, though.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

Uzique wrote:

so what is your post saying? that you completely agree with me? and you're an example of it? okay then, thanks for contributing.
I don't know, I just felt like being difficult whilst still joining in.

Uzique wrote:

engineers and science geeks over here always throw the lamest parties... haha. funny how that sort of thing changes. i'm not sure it's consistent even across several campuses, though.
Over here it's the sports clubs. Mostly rugby and hockey. They're very homoerotic parties though.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468
over here they still do the immature boarding-school thing of getting each other naked and singing tribal chants.

i'd be inclined to go to one of their society events if i was still 15 and thought downing boots of beer aided my tough-guy image
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

It's funny how sheltered kids brag about college drinking parties. Most people's college drinking experiances were my highschool. Shit doesn't even amuse me anymore.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard