FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13624303

Interesting report just out evaluating the "war on drugs" and noting a 35% increase in usage in the last 10 years.

Must be a cultural thing. It was British scientists that first came across anesthetic at one of their "try everything" parties.
Just saw a story on that myself.

The office of White House drug czar Gil Kerlikowske said the report was misguided.

"Drug addiction is a disease that can be successfully prevented and treated. Making drugs more available — as this report suggests — will make it harder to keep our communities healthy and safe," Office of National Drug Control Policy spokesman Rafael Lemaitre said.

That office cites statistics showing declines in U.S. drug use compared to 30 years ago, along with a more recent 46 percent drop in current cocaine use among young adults over the last five years.

The report cited U.N. estimates that opiate use increased 34.5 percent worldwide and cocaine 27 percent from 1998 to 2008, while the use of cannabis, or marijuana, was up 8.5 percent.
Looks like there's conflicting data between local and global trends?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6703|Cambridge, England

FEOS wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13624303

Interesting report just out evaluating the "war on drugs" and noting a 35% increase in usage in the last 10 years.

Must be a cultural thing. It was British scientists that first came across anesthetic at one of their "try everything" parties.
Just saw a story on that myself.

The office of White House drug czar Gil Kerlikowske said the report was misguided.

"Drug addiction is a disease that can be successfully prevented and treated. Making drugs more available — as this report suggests — will make it harder to keep our communities healthy and safe," Office of National Drug Control Policy spokesman Rafael Lemaitre said.

That office cites statistics showing declines in U.S. drug use compared to 30 years ago, along with a more recent 46 percent drop in current cocaine use among young adults over the last five years.

The report cited U.N. estimates that opiate use increased 34.5 percent worldwide and cocaine 27 percent from 1998 to 2008, while the use of cannabis, or marijuana, was up 8.5 percent.
Looks like there's conflicting data between local and global trends?
Quite possibly and would explain the different exposures on the thread. However I don't think its unreasonable to suggest that the office of national drug control has an interest in demonstrating the effectiveness of their policies.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

I don't think its unreasonable to suggest that the office of national drug control has an interest in demonstrating the effectiveness of their policies.
Say it ain't so!
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6703|Cambridge, England

FEOS wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

I don't think its unreasonable to suggest that the office of national drug control has an interest in demonstrating the effectiveness of their policies.
Say it ain't so!
I will not go!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard