Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6129|eXtreme to the maX

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

i think murder has to always be tried by a jury.
Not if they plea guilty. It only goes to Jury when they plea not guilty.

Apologies if i'm stating the obvious there..
If they plead guilty it doesn't go to trial.....
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6756|Cambridge, England
It was in response to the talk of plea bargaining which seemed to be getting confused with the differing terminology across the US and UK systems.

Also congratulations Dilbert_X I thought I was stating the obvious, but seeing you writing the same words in a different order. Wow.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6434|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

As Uzique stated, they quite often do...at least before a jury.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6494
every person must be tried fairly. one can plead guilty to an offense but still have defenses and mitigating factors available that should be heard in an open court, before a jury. the legal system here doesn't work like "okay, you've admitted it, now off you go straight to prison for life". things have to be considered by the due process. i'm not sure where the confusion is, here...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Blue Herring
+13|4828

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Actually, that's not true. Even if you plead guilty, you still get a trial.  Usually when it's obvious the person did it and they plead guilty, the defense tries to appeal to emotion and get the defendant a lighter sentence. Of course, you can waive your right to a trial(Just like with a traffic ticket), but you are allowed a trial regardless of the circumstances.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6494
i got confused because i didn't actually believe that people could be so stupid as to think that guilty = no trial ...

sentencing for the (guilty) crime is done at a trial! of course there is one! and everything in the top-tier courts is heard before a jury!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
13/f/taiwan
+940|5722
i just came back from court a few hours ago. these two guys pleaded guilty to "stealing some candy from duane reade" and "taking perfumes from a department store without their permission." those weren't the charges ofc. i wonder how the taxpayers of new york feel about the state wasting 40k+ a year on throwing people in jail because they stole <$100.

Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me

Last edited by 13/f/taiwan (2011-05-23 14:26:54)

Wreckognize
+294|6508
They released a helmet cam of the raid. 

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard