13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6468

Blue Herring wrote:

Yeah, her statement wasn't anecdotal at all.
qft
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney

Blue Herring wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Blue Herring wrote:

Sorry, but you can't expect people to avoid semantics when the whole fucking argument is about semantics.

Also, that criminologist's logic doesn't follow. Just because some people are into grannies or target specific people they know doesn't mean that an enticing attire won't attract attention from a predator.
Maybe, but I think I'd take the word of a criminologist who has studied this extensively over the anecdotal "evidence" being presented in this thread.
Yeah, her statement wasn't anecdotal at all.

Surely she'd have a better reason then "NOT EVERYONE WHO'S RAPED WEARS THAT STUFF" if she'd actually have a reason. Rather, it seems like an issue she feels about personally, since a second later she stated that it's "a common myth that aims to blame the victim" which is utter crap.

I understand the desire to blindly believe anyone who has any perceptive authority because it's easier. But really, it doesn't do anyone any good.

So, if she is right, she can present her data for it professionally instead of a half-assed abduction.
I think you're simply reading into it whatever suits your argument, rather than just taking the statement as intended.

Personally, I can't really understand the desire to blindly believe anyone who has authority. I just think her word carries more weight in this instance.

Also, if you bothered to read the article correctly you would find the quote as being a "huge myth" was actually made by Darshika Selvasivam, the vice-president of the York Federation of Students.

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-05-13 20:47:14)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6468

"I should have known." Dave Grohl
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney

burnzz wrote:

"I should have known." Dave Grohl
"One of these things is not like the other"

Great song.
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon
Canadian cops get such a bad rap...

https://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/mechanix202/kith1.jpg
Blue Herring
+13|4775

Jaekus wrote:

I think you're simply reading into it whatever suits your argument, rather than just taking the statement as intended.
Hm, interesting thought. Care to elaborate?

Personally, I can't really understand the desire to blindly believe anyone who has authority. I just think her word carries more weight in this instance.
An instance where she has authority. I don't see what other reason you could have, since her actual words were utter crap.

Also, if you bothered to read the article correctly you would find the quote as being a "huge myth" was actually made by Darshika Selvasivam, the vice-president of the York Federation of Students.
You're right. I'm terrible with names. My point still stands though, her reason was terrible.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Reciprocity wrote:

Canadian cops get such a bad rap...

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/ … /kith1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1zGWc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney

Blue Herring wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Hm, interesting thought. Care to elaborate?
She was saying linking style of dress to rape is ridiculous, the comment was intended as such. I'm sure she was interviewed and the journalist who wrote the piece thought the quote about women and veils was a nice little sound byte. Of course, we will never know the entirety of the interview but that's how it was presented, or so I read it at any rate.

An instance where she has authority. I don't see what other reason you could have, since her actual words were utter crap.
In your opinion.

You're right. I'm terrible with names. My point still stands though, her reason was terrible.
Not really. It's validated several times in the article by different people, like this last part for example:

Toronto Police spokeswoman Meaghan Gray said cautioning women on their state of dress is not part of any police training.

“In fact, this is completely contradictory to what officers are taught,” she said. “They are taught that nothing a woman does contributes to a sexual assault.”
Blue Herring
+13|4775

Jaekus wrote:

She was saying linking style of dress to rape is ridiculous, the comment was intended as such. I'm sure she was interviewed and the journalist who wrote the piece thought the quote about women and veils was a nice little sound byte. Of course, we will never know the entirety of the interview but that's how it was presented, or so I read it at any rate.
Well, it's the only argument anyone is presenting.

Jaekus wrote:

In your opinion.
It's not my opinion. It's a fallacious argument, that's not my doing, that's reality, unless you're blaming me for Epistemology. If you're going to state that the reasonable isn't true, you better have a reason.

Jaekus wrote:

Not really. It's validated several times in the article by different people, like this last part for example:

Toronto Police spokeswoman Meaghan Gray said cautioning women on their state of dress is not part of any police training.

“In fact, this is completely contradictory to what officers are taught,” she said. “They are taught that nothing a woman does contributes to a sexual assault.”
It doesn't matter how many people say it, if they don't give a fair reason, it has no merit.

Last edited by Blue Herring (2011-05-14 00:33:58)

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6416|The Land of Scott Walker
A woman who dresses like a slut and is victimized does not share any of the blame for the assault.  But why expose yourself to more risk?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
dont ever get in a car again
Tu Stultus Es
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6746|Moscow, Russia

Stingray24 wrote:

A woman who dresses like a slut and is victimized does not share any of the blame for the assault.  But why expose yourself to more risk?
this has been pointed out a coupla dozens of times already in this thread by multiple people. and the reply, invariably, was something like this:

eleven bravo wrote:

dont ever get in a car again
it's time to close the tread.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney

Shahter wrote:

Why?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

Jaekus wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Why?
lol, case in point.
Blue Herring
+13|4775

Jaekus wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Why?
ad nauseam
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney
ad nauseum

Really though, if you don't want to read, don't click the link?

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-05-15 02:59:54)

Blue Herring
+13|4775

Jaekus wrote:

ad nauseum
Actually, "ea" is correct.
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney

lowing wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Shahter wrote: