Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5369|London, England
Microsoft (MSFT: 25.83, -0.04, -0.15%) revealed plans to acquire Internet telephone company Skype for $8.5 billion in cash, the largest deal in the technology company's history.

The company plans on rolling Skype's communication technology into many of its pre-existing platforms, such as its gaming system Xbox and its Windows mobile phones, the company said in a release.

"The acquisition will increase the accessibility of real-time video and voice communications, bringing benefits to both consumers and enterprise users and generating significant new business and revenue opportunities," the release said.
Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2011 … z1LxD1VJS0
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Sturgeon
+488|4952|Flintshire
A few weeks ago Google and Facebook were trying to buy it too.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6511|so randum
wasn't it bought not long ago for like $2b?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6576|Area 51

FatherTed wrote:

Yep by Ebay. They couldn't make any money off it, so now they're getting rid of it.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6450|Brisbane, Australia

Looking forward to Skype integrated into my phone. Hopefully it will attract more users as well.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6511|so randum

RDMC wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Yep by Ebay. They couldn't make any money off it, so now they're getting rid of it.
i c +rep
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6481
probably because everyone has flocked off windows live / msn messenger and now uses skype as their text messenger (at least i do, anyway)
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6511|so randum
i honestly don't know anyone (my age at least) who still uses MSN messenger or any client really. what with everyone having a phone, and contracts getting cheaper and cheaper its texting for everything. at the outside maybe FB chat. skype was very popular in uni though, handy for doing group work/talking to family (and thus saving money for beer)
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Benzin
+576|6009

RDMC wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Actually eBay bought it and then sold it to an investment group and then they sold it to Microsoft.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

FatherTed wrote:

i honestly don't know anyone (my age at least) who still uses MSN messenger or any client really. what with everyone having a phone, and contracts getting cheaper and cheaper its texting for everything. at the outside maybe FB chat. skype was very popular in uni though, handy for doing group work/talking to family (and thus saving money for beer)
I still use AIM every day. It integrates with facebook chat too, so I don't even have to have facebook open.

This has more to do with my age than with AIM being superior though. I've had the same screenname since I was 14
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

Too bad Valve didn't buy it. I use Steam far more then Microsoft extras.
Benzin
+576|6009

Jay wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

I still use AIM every day. It integrates with facebook chat too, so I don't even have to have facebook open.

This has more to do with my age than with AIM being superior though. I've had the same screenname since I was 14
Why not use a messenger that integrates all the protocols under one roof?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

CapnNismo wrote:

Jay wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Why not use a messenger that integrates all the protocols under one roof?
Because I have zero need to do so.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6117|eXtreme to the maX
People use messengers?
For what?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6450|Brisbane, Australia

er, communicating?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6695|West Yorkshire, U.K
So they've ruined WLMessenger now they'll ruin Skype.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6354

Kurazoo wrote:

Tbh, Skype is already shit. The last big number update made it worse and much clumsier to use.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6323

https://img.imgur.com/yvtdc.png
Stimey
­
+786|6131|Ontario | Canada
g1 m8
­
­
­
­
­
­
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6643|949

Sisco wrote:

Kurazoo wrote:

Tbh, Skype is already shit. The last big number update made it worse and much clumsier to use.
Depends what you use it for.  I use it at work for conferencing/communicating across continents.  Skype's used in business far more than any other messeging platform.  As far as I'm concerned, skype is awesome and saves my company a shit ton of money.
Benzin
+576|6009

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Depends what you use it for.  I use it at work for conferencing/communicating across continents.  Skype's used in business far more than any other messeging platform.  As far as I'm concerned, skype is awesome and saves my company a shit ton of money.
Actually that's not true. Due to Skype's lack of encryption on a lot of things and the not 100% reliability (anyone remember that huge outage last winter?), most large enterprise solutions turn elsewhere. Apparently Cisco is the weapon of choice here...
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6678

We are an Exchange house, so we use Communicator for text.  Complete GAL access, so yeah, works well for IT.  SMS Texting is not practical for communication beyond 2 people.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6750|Toronto | Canada

Im pretty sure lots of businesses use Skype.  Most dont need encryption and its an incredibly cheap (usually free) way to make a conference call.  I know I've had to set up Skype systems in quite a few offices.
Benzin
+576|6009

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Im pretty sure lots of businesses use Skype.  Most dont need encryption and its an incredibly cheap (usually free) way to make a conference call.  I know I've had to set up Skype systems in quite a few offices.
You're most certainly right, but the big money is in true enterprise solutions and not small business solutions. For small businesses there are so many free options out there (like Skype) that you don't have to pay for unless you need some killer feature. Enterprise environments, however, require a whole lot more.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6354

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Sisco wrote:

Kurazoo wrote:

I use it to talk to my family and friends mostly. But the sound quality got worse over the last months with me suffering from outages on a rather regular basis. And the new fancy layout made messaging a total pain in the ass. Or is there a way to have the messaging pop up in a seperate window for every chat you have?
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard