Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6734|St. Andrews / Oslo

I want a Macbook. My Lenovo's been a complete dick.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5790|Catherine Black
gb2 bible camp
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
baggs
+732|6206
If i won the lottery i probably wouldn't bother, i'd be moving to a remote location anyway and enjoying the silence
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6777|Moscow, Russia

Zimmer wrote:

Uzique wrote:

like i said if money was no object why would you care about the specific hardware and whatnot? just get a top spec macbook pro and never think about the question again (because you don't really have to)
For a desktop you'll still get more performance out of a custom built than the Mac, so it's less about money saved and more about what you get.
this applies to laptops just as well, one can easily install osx on almost all of them these days. but explaining that to apple fanboi's is like trying to have sex with a brick wall.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

Shahter wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Uzique wrote:

like i said if money was no object why would you care about the specific hardware and whatnot? just get a top spec macbook pro and never think about the question again (because you don't really have to)
For a desktop you'll still get more performance out of a custom built than the Mac, so it's less about money saved and more about what you get.
this applies to laptops just as well, one can easily install osx on almost all of them these days. but explaining that to apple fanboi's is like trying to have sex with a brick wall.
It's not as easy, and it usually required an edited kernel (unless you're installing it on a very high end laptop) - which I do not want. If I can't install retail OSX and update naturally I don't want to do it. I've been through all the OSX86 projects and they're just a nuisance.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6777|Moscow, Russia

Zimmer wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

It's not as easy, and it usually required an edited kernel (unless you're installing it on a very high end laptop) - which I do not want. If I can't install retail OSX and update naturally I don't want to do it. I've been through all the OSX86 projects and they're just a nuisance.
really? i was under the implression osx worked on any x86 machine out-of-the-box - at least my colleagues who run it on all their stuff, including laptops, told me so. oh, well...
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6757|Scotland

Shahter wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Shahter wrote:

really? i was under the implression osx worked on any x86 machine out-of-the-box - at least my colleagues who run it on all their stuff, including laptops, told me so. oh, well...
Haha, not at all. It's a lot more complicated than that. You need to edit your DSDT files, add extra Kernels for sleep/restart functions etc. No PC will work without the FakeSMC.kext and usually the OpenHaltRestart.kext. It still counts as a Vanilla install because these kexts don't edit the core files, all they need to do is be booted with the bootloader. Not going to go into the details of it all, some computers are easier than other to install on, but none of them can be installed "out of the box" like that.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6777|Moscow, Russia

Zimmer wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Haha, not at all. It's a lot more complicated than that. You need to edit your DSDT files, add extra Kernels for sleep/restart functions etc. No PC will work without the FakeSMC.kext and usually the OpenHaltRestart.kext. It still counts as a Vanilla install because these kexts don't edit the core files, all they need to do is be booted with the bootloader. Not going to go into the details of it all, some computers are easier than other to install on, but none of them can be installed "out of the box" like that.
ic. well, i'll stick with windows and linux then. fuck mac.
twoblacklines
all grown up now (its boring)
+49|6208
I would simply upgrade my current pc to a pair of 3GB 580's (currently a single 1.5gb 580), sell my 27" monitor and run a dell 27, and run a pair of 6 core xeons on an SR2 with 48GB of ram!
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6696|The Ville
2 55 inch Samsung flat screens wall mounted next to one another. 10 inch bose sub with 7.1 surround sound.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Top of the range Dell.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney

Uzique wrote:

i'd just buy an audiophile set-up and fill a room with records and the comfiest armchair that money could buy.

fuck spending anything over £2k on pc equipment, it'll be worth a 10th of that in 5 years.
This, plus an acoustically treated home studio, with Pro Tools HD, a couple U87s and a whole bunch of other stuff I haven't even thought about yet. But nothing too over the top, just stuff I will actually use.

Last edited by Jaekus (2012-01-06 04:11:30)

-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6660|BC, Canada
I'd buy all the tools and a sick workshop so I could build my own table case. But... well fark. What are people supposed to say, obviously they are going to buy a good pc.

"Naw bru! Imma get me one a dem tablet things mate!"
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6390|New York
Firstly, a house. Then the following to put in said house.

I would set up a very capable 7.2 system.

I would buy two of these:
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/cylin … egory_id=8
PC13-ULTRA : 1000 Watt DSP Controlled, 13" Ported Cylinder Subwoofer with Variable Tuning

I would then round out the rest of the system with the following:
7 Emotiva Mono Block amps
http://emotiva.com/upa1.shtm

I still would have to do the research, but I would get a very capable 7.2 Receiver
I would also have to do research on different speakers and do plenty of auditions at audio dealers, now that I have quite the budget to work with.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
twoblacklines
all grown up now (its boring)
+49|6208

Uzique wrote:

i'd just buy an audiophile set-up and fill a room with records and the comfiest armchair that money could buy.

fuck spending anything over £2k on pc equipment, it'll be worth a 10th of that in 5 years.
https://theselvedgeyard.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/eames-chair-herman-miller.jpg
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6794|Jupiter
looks like rubbish
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6654
I'd buy dunlimited the best mic money can buy
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

If I won the lottery, I still wouldn't buy another computer until I needed one. My GTX 570 rig works just fine, thank you very much.

What I would buy is more editing software, storage and probably a Mac Pro.

Oh, and a bigger place where I can expand my tech room.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5790|Catherine Black

Lucien wrote:

You still wouldn't be able to hear him.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

More specifically, my first priority would be to set up a fund to pay off immediate family and business debts and to help expand the family business. Second would be to invest and diversify in other sources, especially property. Third would be to penny pinch most of the rest so I wouldn't end up like a broke quarterback who blew all of his millions on junk and can't make it back in his flaccid old age.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney

Lucien wrote:

Get a Neuman U87. Can't go wrong there, retails around $3,400 USD. My mate owns one, it is -awesome-

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard